• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Any EXPERTS on Withdrawl, Longterm Oxy user question

the last dose

Bluelighter
Ive been on oxys almost 19 years, my question is does it matter how long you were on oxys for when it comes to how bad your withdrawls will be and how long they will last. Or does it just matter the dose you have weened down to and adjusted to before jumping. thanks for any info

Everything matters, from how low you taper to your age to your length of use and number of previous quit attempts to your general state of health beforehand... my advice is taper as low as possible, then taper to an even weaker opiate and taper that to as low as you can... dont rush it and do it at a comfortable pace. Get in as good of shape as you can and start taking vitamins etc. BEFORE you jump. If you can get into a medically supervised detox facility that's even better.

Burton is absolutely correct, it all matters. It matters a bit more how you taper as opposed to just what dose you jump off at or how long youve been on it in my experience. The longer youce been on it, the longer you will need to taper.

Switching to a longer acting full agonist (methadone), stabilizing and then tapering over the course of two years (so the entire process would take two to three years comfortably) is your best bet if you want to get off the oxycodone as painlessly and with the lowest chance of relapse/treatment recidivism.

How can we support you in your endeavor? Your endeavor being, I assume, to get off the opioids? There is no shame in taking medication you need to be taking, I'm just confused as to what you are asking the SL community in this thread. Don't take it personally. I'm the type that is easily confused :) (And proud of it! %))

How can we support you in your endeavor? Your endeavor being, I assume, to get off the opioids? There is no shame in taking medication you need to be taking, I'm just confused as to what you are asking the SL community in this thread. Don't take it personally. I'm the type that is easily confused :) (And proud of it! %))

thanks TPD, I'll put it another way say somebody has been doing ocycontin 60mgs 2 times a day with 4 15mgs roxy kickers for 3 years then weened down over a year to 15mgs roxy 3 times a day. Now compare that to someone that has been doing same 2 60mgs oxycontin and 4 15 mgs roxy for 15 years but has weened down over the last year to 3 15mgs roxys daily, would physical withdrawls between the two be any different after jumping. thanks

Your hypothetical is kinda confusing but generally the longer someone is addicted the worse the withdrawal is going to be. Tapering can lessen the severity of but it doesn't really effect the length. Also with really long habits you can expect the PAWS to last a long time. in fact I think PAWS is the hardest part to beat because the depression it causes saps your willpower slowly but surely.

Your hypothetical is kinda confusing but generally the longer someone is addicted the worse the withdrawal is going to be. Tapering can lessen the severity of but it doesn't really effect the length. Also with really long habits you can expect the PAWS to last a long time. in fact I think PAWS is the hardest part to beat because the depression it causes saps your willpower slowly but surely.

So your saying withdrawls will last longer the more years you were ops hmmm cause ive read just as much stuff saying even long habits dont seem to matter as much as the dose when jumping and how long you have been on say a low dose matters alot also the halflife of the med your jumping from. Thats why im asking more info the better so i can prepare thanks CJ

The length of the habit will affect the acuity (severity or intensity) of the withdrawal. The longer someone has been using, the more intense the kick will be.

The higher the dose one is on when one jumps off and detoxes, the longer the detox will last.

So the dose has more to do with the length of the time spent kicking, while the length of the habit will have more to do with how severe the acute withdrawal is.

Does that make sense? At the end of the day this distinction is rather unimportant because both factors intermingle. Someone is going to have a nasty kick if they have been using for a long time, regardless of dose.

Generally people are simply unable to use huge amounts of drugs without using then for long periods of time because they'd overdose and die, so you see why the distinction you bring up, while interesting on a purely academic level, is of little value in practice terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
The length of the habit will affect the acuity (severity or intensity) of the withdrawal. The longer someone has been using, the more intense the kick will be. The higher the dose one is on when one jumps off and detoxes, the longer the detox will last. So dose has more to do with the length of the time spent kicking, while the length of the habit will have more to do with how severe the acute withdrawal is.

Does that make sense?

yes definitely so the longer i taper at a small amount the shorter the worse withdrawls will last, crazy ive read what you said and also the opposite. And ive heard many times your first withdrawl is the easiest and they keep getting worse.

The first withdrawal being the easiest is more of an anecdotal observation then scientific fact. Due to the effect of tolerance addiction tends to be a progressive disease. So every time you relapse you tend to end up on a higher dose for the next run which makes your next kick worse. There also may be some damage to the receptors in the brain which gets worse every time you kick but that discussion is a little over my head to be honest.

So yeah tapering to as low a dose as possible is the best move you can do to minimize withdrawal. Unfortunately its still going to suck. Which is why having the correct comfort meds is just as important as tapering correctly. But you will get through it. Hell many people kick in jail without any support and live to tell the tale.

The first withdrawal being the easiest is more of an anecdotal observation then scientific fact. Due to the effect of tolerance addiction tends to be a progressive disease. So every time you relapse you tend to end up on a higher dose for the next run which makes your next kick worse. There also may be some damage to the receptors in the brain which gets worse every time you kick but that discussion is a little over my head to be honest.

So yeah tapering to as low a dose as possible is the best move you can do to minimize withdrawal. Unfortunately its still going to suck. Which is why having the correct comfort meds is just as important as tapering correctly. But you will get through it. Hell many people kick in jail without any support and live to tell the tale.

Thanks for info CJ trust me i will have lots of comfort meds i plan on only doing this once and lets just say thru my last 20 years on ops ive had lots of crazy experiences time to hang that jacket up im not a kid anymore