View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Any alcoholic psychonauts???

Ayahuascalobster

Greenlighter
God I wish I never got into alcohol. Of course I consider myself fortunate when I tried opiates and Coke and other pills when I was younger, I didn't like them...but alcohol has really setback my psychedelic journey. Mixing alcohol with psychedelics ...smh. I feel it was partially responsible for my 2 worst trips. I first smoked weed at 17. I was all set on not ever drinking (which isn't realistic). But I was doing community service at 18 and this girl got me into drinking. Then my drinking really took off because of my social anxiety. I just feel if I had found psychedelics before that girl found me, I would've not become an alcoholic. I'm in a much better place thanks to naltrexone but alcohol has been the real damager to me. If it weren't for psychedelics I'd probably be a narcissist from alcoholism but I've done a lot of work on "the ego". Inspired by psychedelics. And If I had never drank before I did psychedelics I could've self medicated myself with psychedelics moreso than I would have with drinking. Oh well I don't really know what would have happened but it's a regret I gotta learn to live with. I just wish I never tried beer/liquor until I had tripped first and I would be in a much better place. Thoughts, insights, questions?? Although like I said naltrexone has been a miracle helper to me.

Ps I'm not blaming that girl it's my own fault for succumbing to peer pressure

Strange, I kind of had the opposite timeline as you. First alcoholic drink at 13, first time smoking weed at 14. For some reason my ego thought that being a pothead was the worst scenario, so I always told friends I liked alcohol more (most likely because its legal if you're of age). Then at 16 I was educated by a friend about LSD and that changed everything. I got heavily into them and soon enough my ego was diminished. Now I hate alcohol and psychedelics seem to bring me back to baseline. Every few months I just have a craving to trip and get some personal insight. Its weird.

Maybe for you exploring more with psychedelics can be beneficial because it'll show you who you really are. I know lots of friends who are uncomfortable with themselves and will only let loose if they are super drunk. When I am drunk I am still me just in a drunk version. I never get blackout drunk because I always like to be in the moment. Glad to hear that naltrexone is helping tho!

Yeah man! People always pressured me to drink since I was shy and had social anxiety. But I feel psychedelics could have made me found the true me on its own. It's funny even after a few years of drinking I always said "I'm a stoner". I held that title like it defined me. Opposite of you. I got addicted though to alcohol. And escapism. When I did psychedelics it actually made me cut down on my drinking for a little while but then I was set out to be a musician or a writer and somebody told me "alcohol makes you more creative". Once again not blaming. But my drinking really took off after that and psychedelics don't help my drinking habits anymore. A couple trips made me halt my drinking for a bit but I'm at the point of no return and only naltrexone helps my drinking now. I still have some of the ism's but overall I'm pretty down to earth these days. I guess you live and you learn. I'm lucky I'm not addicted to smack. Now that stuff is hard to kick!

i'm no alcoholic but i enjoy a few drinks while on acid specifically.

alcohol helps relax the trip for me.

but some doors of perception are not meant to be opened so i'm not surprised that alcohol will be abused by seasoned trippers. it really shuts off your mind..

Who the hell said alcohol makes you more creative?! Haha thats bizarre. Psychedelics are where the real creativity begins xD

Who the hell said alcohol makes you more creative?! Haha thats bizarre. Psychedelics are where the real creativity begins xD

not for me. my inspiration comes after the experience.

alcohol lowers inhibition and improves confidence whereas psychedelics can make users very self-aware, possibly insecure (at least i've noticed this w many friends) so it'll make sense that alcohol will be easier to use.

though, experienced trippers who don't get mentally twisted are likely to be able to channel that headspace and use it to their advantage.

weed makes me the most creative though.

I was an alcoholic but I stopped drinking about 6 months ago.
I recently started tripping again and it has helped reinforce my desire to stay sober (from alcohol)

I'm very glad I managed to cut out alcohol and I wish everyone the best who struggles with this demon.

I find alcohol terrible for mitigating anxiety, so it's never really been something i take excessively. plus I find the effects pretty drab.

For me it made me less creative...in a way

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/The-312/April-2012/How-Drinking-Makes-You-More-Creative/

That article was from april 12, 2012, which was probably the time the guy told me it makes you more creative...he said it was from a "recent study"

I've written two books since 2015 so maybe it helps writers but my music isn't nearly as good as it was...

Don't remember the last time I didn't end up being drunk at the end of a psychedelic trip.

There's plenty of us out here, I use to drink several fifths a day but when id trip I'd keep it at a minimum to keep off the shakes, I ended up tapering off booze, seems like its harder to keep the insights and things, seems to cheapen the experience, starting from weed/noid high or sober was always nice tho, but I haven't tripped in a long time, getting addicted to opiates does that tho, you never buy anything but opiates and candy, I just finished detoxing, might trip soon, haven't done it since I tried commiting suicide with 25e a couple years back, skin popped as much as I could fit in the spoon, at least 250mg, surprised I ain't dead, anyway tripping during active addiction never seems as fun and the afterglow is hard to maintain if you gotta be sick or wake up shaking the next day and gotta grab for a bottle or hallucinate and seize out.... I think Ima do some shrooms....

I actually love tripping on alcohol (I'm not an alkie tho) or even some benzos, but only low doses. High doses of downers just dull it. But a beer or two with 2 tabs of LSD =D

Wow this is an awesome thread to find. I have been dealing with this same issue. Naltrexone is the best!! Have been experimenting with 2c-b and lsd with good results. Cant do MDMA anymore however.

I slip into borderline alcoholism at times. Usually in the winter, the winter makes me feel cold beyond cold, empty and depressed, alcohol is "warming" and lets me stop thinking and feeling so much for a while. I just stopped having 2-3 (sometimes 5 lol) beers almost every night like last week, I've never become physically dependant on alcohol because I'm horrified of the idea of having to drink that shit to function.

I've grown to enjoy a beer or two on LSD trips when I've just gotten stuck in a loop of over analysis. The booze helps you go "fuck it" and just chill and enjoy the moment. If I'm taking a high dose or hoping for something more mystical/spiritually driven I always avoid drinking though.

It's worth noting I'm addicted to kratom and Cannabis I suppose, they make it easy to pick up and put down the bottle without too many cravings.

Last edited:
In college I liked alcohol a lot, weed was definitely more my thing though. I also tripped a handful of times in college, never really combined them though, I always was of the opinion that alcohol was a bad mix with psychedelics. Then I got into opiates for basically exactly my entire twenties, and I basically didn't drink at all, I hate the combo, to me alcohol ruins the opiate high. I tripped a lot during some periods of time during my twenties, combined them with opiates but generally I'd take some kratom (which was what I was on for most of that time until I "upgraded" to stronger ones) earlier in the day, and then at the end of the trip.

I got off opiates in April 2014, and started tripping again, I hadn't really tripped much for a few years then. I also started drinking beer because my friends I was hanging out with a lot more were usually doing it. Found out I like alcohol again. These days I trip 2-3 times a month, or sometimes more for example if there's a music festival, and I drink generally 3 times a week I'd say, band practice days, and make sure not to drink any at all the other days because I've had my fill of physical addictions for one lifetime. I definitely enjoy alcohol, not an alcoholic though. I almost always end up getting pleasantly drunk by the very end of a trip these days, not always though. Depends on what I'm doing, I really love the combo of the tail end of DOC and alcohol for example. I'm generally taking psychedelics recreationally with friends or functionally, like sometimes we'll take psychedelics and jam to see what happens, and that always eventually becomes drunk chillin'. I haven't tried for a really deep, inward journey in quite some time, if I were to do that I wouldn't want to drink at the end of it. Also I never like to drink any alcohol until the peak has passed, not during the come-up either.