• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Anxiety drugs for my dog..

^
Very true n3o, her pupils would dilate and she would just seem to be 'spaced out'. This was a long time ago, and she is much better off now without any chemicals being fed to her.

Ok..wasnt too sure where to post this thread so i thought id chuck it here. Yesterday i went to the vet to get my dog some vaccinations, while i was there i mentioned to the vet that my dog can get extremely anxious and worked up, especially if there is a storm. The vet said that dogs can be medicated with anxiety and anti-depressents much like humans, even using prozac valium etc. The only thing is that the vet wanted to charge $101 per month for these calmatives for him. i cant afford this, and i thought that if i were to go to the doctor and get prescribed an anxiety drug, and then give it to my dog, it would work out ALOT cheaper.

Has anyone else had experience doing this? i mainly ask so i would know what dosage to give my dog as it would differ to what dosage i would take. He is 32.5 kg. thanks for any advice you can give

I worked at a vet suppliers for a while, and the valium is the exact same valium as people are prescibed, in 2mg, 5mg, and 10mgs made by R**che

My vet prescribes generic Alprazolam for cats and dogs, they're the exact same Kalma we get.

Also tramadol.

Man I don't think you should be giving your dog any drugs, that shit isn't right. You aren't qualified to dose it or know the long term impact. I think you would find it hard to get enough valium to keep the dog on it alot anyway, especially seeing as how your a member of BL I am guessing you may be tempted to use some yourself.

What happens if your dog gets addicted and you can't get anymore? Withdrawal is bad enough for humans and can be fatal who knows what it would do to a dog! It is seldom wise for a person to start relying on antidepressants and benzodiazepines imho, I can't see why it would be different for dogs.

I don't think its that big of a deal for a dog to get a bit anxious or frightened, overall they live a comfortable life in a nice environment and it would have to be pretty serious impact quality of life to the extent that warrants medication.

Just my 2c.

Don't give your dog any drugs? Why not? You think I want to come home to physcial damage to my place ALL THE TIME because of "seperation anxeity" between the dog and my wife? I am SICK of all the chewed wood, damaged plastic and torn up shredded carpet! Don't give your dog drugs? IT's ONLY a dog!! It is well written that dogs with seperation anxeity get prescribed valium and prozac and thats exactly what this 10yr old stupid Jack Russel dog is gonna get. It's not that big of a deal for a dog to get frightened or a "bit" anxious? Tell me that when it's been going on consistently for 2 years and does nothing but cost money in repairs. Long term impact on this dog? Who cares, it only has like 5 more years to go. Yes, I am a member of Bl too, but benzos are not my gig, so no need to worry about me being "tempeted".

^ Uh... the problem that everyone here seemed to be talking about is that the OP was saying he was going to get them from his doctor and self-medicate his dog. Doing this without the advice of a veterinarian could have ended badly for the dog.

Personally I love dogs and feel extremely sorry for yours given your attitude towards it. I have no objection to dogs being medicated but the OP was talking about diagnosing his own dog and giving it doses of medicine he obtained under the guise of needing them himself, there is quite a difference.

not a big deal

Don't give your dog any drugs? Why not? You think I want to come home to physcial damage to my place ALL THE TIME because of "seperation anxeity" between the dog and my wife? I am SICK of all the chewed wood, damaged plastic and torn up shredded carpet! Don't give your dog drugs? IT's ONLY a dog!! It is well written that dogs with seperation anxeity get prescribed valium and prozac and thats exactly what this 10yr old stupid Jack Russel dog is gonna get. It's not that big of a deal for a dog to get frightened or a "bit" anxious? Tell me that when it's been going on consistently for 2 years and does nothing but cost money in repairs. Long term impact on this dog? Who cares, it only has like 5 more years to go. Yes, I am a member of Bl too, but benzos are not my gig, so no need to worry about me being "tempeted".

I got on here because my German shepherd is in the house hiding because of the nye fireworks. I have 2mg klonapin and wondered if it would work for a one time dose.
I love my dogs but I know where to draw the line. a dog is a dog. if there was a house fire and the family pet and a guest was inside some people would save the pet first. humans have souls animals do not.