• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Anti depressants & LSD question

mrGRINCH

Greenlighter
How long would someone need to stop taking the following in order to take LSD?

150mg desvenlafaxine.
45mg mirtazapine
100mg quetiapine

Would it be safe to take LSD without stopping them?

I would say at least 24-72hrs

I recently tripped with some one who went 24hrs without their venlafaxine & they still tripped, although I think their trip was more mild than normal.

That seroquel might totally kill LSD effects altogether tho.

And I'm not sure how safe taking lsd with mirtazipine is, especially in that high of a dosage.

Hopefully some one else can chime in, but I definitely wouldn't take lsd while on those meds. At best, you could just not get a trip at all, at worst you could get serotonin syndrome.

Serotonin syndrome is the big concern and why I thought I'd ask.

I took 25i and 25c (separate occasions) many years ago when I was on a different antidepressant (I forget what but some SSRI) that I'd stopped taking for 3-4 days and I had a good trip.

But as I'm taking a lot more meds now I wanted some advice from more knowledgeable people than I.

Since I'm already asking, what about shrooms? How does Psilocybin interact with that type of medication?

I've heard of people tripping on shrooms on antidepressants, but I imagine the trip is also probably blunted like it would be on LSD.

Serotonin syndrome is usually kind of rare but not impossible. Hell, I've given myself mild to moderate serotonin syndrome before by mixing stuff like venlafaxine & DXM.

I think if you want the best trip & no worries of serotonin syndrome side effects, I'd skip your antidepressants for at least 24hrs.
Also the seroquel will probably take all the fun out of it since it's going to block dopamine & rewarding effects, so I'd skip that as well.

Although I don't really recommend anyone stop their meds, since I'm not a doctor. But if you're going to trip, it's best to do it safely. And skipping those meds would be your best bet, so that there's no interactions.

It's also good to have a benzo on hand, just in case you were to get nasty side effects or serotonin syndrome. Popping a benzo right away at the first signs of serotonin syundrome, especially one with strong anticonvulsant effects could save your life in that sort of situation.

Some serotonin syndrome symptoms to watch out for -
Nausea / Projectile Vomiting
Shaking
Feeling like your insides are burning up
Sweating profusely
Confusion
Agitation
Seizures / Convulsions
Hand tremors
Myoclonus

etc..

Last edited: