• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Am I addicted to drugs?

Calipo

Greenlighter
Hey guys, I'm kind of new here so sorry if this thread is in the wrong category. Am I addicted to drugs? I have done opiates or opioids once a week for the past year and a half and every night I need at least something to help me get to sleep like weed or even alcohol. Also my weekends of late have been pretty filled with MDMA and party drugs of some or other nature. Is once a week opiate use an addiction? I probs couldn't go a week without using oxy or codeine at least one night but once a week seems pretty tame to me. Any opinions would be really appreciated!

The best way to tell if you're addicted to someone, whether a behavior or a drug, is whether it produces harmful results and despite repeatedly attempting to correct for the behavior you find yourself struggling, seemingly unable to. You aren't inherent unable to mind you, you just don't know how - which indicates you may be addicted.

I believe it is extremely important for you to decide whether or not you are an addict for yourself. No one else can really do this for you, though they can point you in the right (or the wrong) directions.

Very insightful. You sound like a very wise and caring person. Thankyou.

I don't know about all that, but I have heard that before :) My pleasure! Let us know if you have any questions or just want to brainstorm any ideas you might have.

Addiction is just as much about personal development and exploration as it is about making mistakes and hurting one's self (and others). Few things in life are truly black and white, if any.

Check out these books about addiction if you want to learn more about whether you fit the bill (especially the latter two):

The Heart of Addiction (Lance Dodes)
Chasing the Scream (Johan Hari)
In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts (Garbor Mate)

My opinion is if you're reconsidering your drug use, usually that's an indication that you might have an issue.

I think this is a question only you can answer for yourself. You say you only use opiates once a week, but booze or weed nightly to sleep, could you stop if you had to? What is motivating you to use, is it because you find it fun or is it a way to unwind and relax? Have you tried to sleep without substances?

Honestly, I don't know if you are or aren't, what I do know is that your pattern of use certainly puts you in a high risk group if you are not presently addicted. Addiction is progressive meaning it gets worse the longer you engage in the behavior. Unfortunately there is a fine line between being normal and crossing over into addiction, and once you cross over there is no going back. There are few indicators to warn you when you are close to crossing that line.

It has been in my experience that if somebody has to ask if they are an addict, chances are good the problem exists. Now would be a good time to educate yourself on the nature of addiction, and also examine your use pattern. What is the main factor motivating you to use, and work on that.