• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol withdrawal

Thisisawkward

Greenlighter
Hello,

I have some questions about alcohol withdrawal as this is the first time I'm experiencing it. I'm a man in my 30's and I have been a daily 'evening drinker' for more than a decade now. On a typical day I will open a bottle of red wine when I come home from work, drink a glass or two while making dinner, eat and drink the rest of the bottle during dinner. Usually I will then open another bottle and drink half (or all of it) before going to sleep. Every year I stop drinking for month or so in order to give my body some rest and make sure that I'm not addicted to alcohol. This has worked fine and I have never experienced any trouble stopping until now.

My last bottle of wine were on Saturday evening. Most of Sunday went fine, but as night came I could not sleep at all and I was sweating more than usual. The next morning I noticed a weak (but visible) trembling on the hands and I was still sweating more than I should. As night came, I could sleep, but I woke up a dozen times from extremely vivid and very unpleasant dreams. (I suppose this is normal as I have been suppressing the REM sleep by drinking before going to bed for a long time?). I have had some anxiety as well, especially in the mornings, but I am not sure if this stems from alcohol withdrawal itself or from the horrible dreams I am having every night now.

Today I'm better as far the sweating, trembling and anxiety goes. I feel a little dizziness and my brain feels a bit off. So what's next now? I don't want to stop drinking for good, but I do need a good break and I certainly have to drink less than before. Does anyone have any experience with how much time is needed in order for my body and brain to go back to normal? Also, how long should I expect these nightmares to continue?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

It sounds like a very unhealthy habit. Alcohol addicts, and addicts in general, usually have to quit for good because the next time they drink they will trigger their addiction again.

What you described sounds like common alcohol withdrawal. I would suggest you take a very, very long break from it. I'm not talking a weekend or a week, I mean months. Alcohol is a nasty bitch.

Tremors and nightmares usually peak at 1-2 days, depending on your use. As for what's next, a google search for alcohol wd symptoms includes the most feared delirium tremens, which happens usually 2-3 days after your last drink. So keep an eye out for your breathing and heartbeat patterns as well as temperature shifts. Benzos are commonly prescribed for alcohol withdrawal, so if you are experiencing any nasty symptoms go to your MD and tell them

Best of luck

It sounds like a very unhealthy habit. Alcohol addicts, and addicts in general, usually have to quit for good because the next time they drink they will trigger their addiction again.

What you described sounds like common alcohol withdrawal. I would suggest you take a very, very long break from it. I'm not talking a weekend or a week, I mean months. Alcohol is a nasty bitch.

Tremors and nightmares usually peak at 1-2 days, depending on your use. As for what's next, a google search for alcohol wd symptoms includes the most feared delirium tremens, which happens usually 2-3 days after your last drink. So keep an eye out for your breathing and heartbeat patterns as well as temperature shifts. Benzos are commonly prescribed for alcohol withdrawal, so if you are experiencing any nasty symptoms go to your MD and tell them

Best of luck

Thank you! Luckily I don't think I'm at risk of going into DT. I have been drinking too much, but never throughout the days or the amount where DT might be a risk. So far my withdrawal symptoms have been mild or moderate at worst (the nightmares being the worst). I haven't even been nauseous or throwing up, having panic attacks or visual or auditory hallucinations for example. At no time have I felt that I might get a seizure.

However, I am concerned because I fear that displaying some signs of withdrawal means that I am at least somewhat physically dependent on alcohol?

However, I am concerned because I fear that displaying some signs of withdrawal means that I am at least somewhat physically dependent on alcohol?

the only way you can withdraw from something is if you are dependent on it i'm afraid