• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Advice greatly appreciated - Tramadol withdrawls

goosey

Greenlighter
Hi Folks
I had been tapering my Tramadol slowly get off it and it seemed to be working. A new problem is the ill effects it causes to my stomach - I feel really ill every 2nd morning. If I take one pill in the morning will this stave off the illness and get me through the day? I slipped up there for the past 2 weeks and this is when the ill stomach started happening - my own stupid fault. I am back on track with my tapering but the sickness every other morning leaves me housebound. Do you think one pill (From my allocated taper) will help prevent this? I have no experience taking just one pill at a time and usually take my tabs in the evening over a few hours. I take benzos too to help with sleep. Maybe one of these would help to stop me feeling so ill? Would greatly appreciate some advice. I really really want to kick this - at the point where I hate it. Has anyone tried this and its helped stop the sick stomach. Thanks so much in advance.

This is probably a radical reframe, but would you believe me if your process here is neither stupid nor your fault? I am happy to explain if that doesn't ring true to you at first glance.

Before trying to answer your questions, I have a few questions for you :)

1. What has your tramadol use history looked like? I'm particular curious about how long you've been taking tramadol in total and the doses you've taken it at.
  2. Please, in as much detail as you're comfortable with, describe your taper.
    • How long have you been tapering?
    • How much have you been reducing your doses by as you taper?
    • How often do you reduce your dose?
  3. It sounds like you have already tried jumping to zero.
    • Have you tried jumping off to zero already?
    • If you have, what happened?
  4. What symptoms of withdrawal have you experience
    • When reducing your dose tapering?
    • When you have tried jumping to zero?
    • How long do symptoms take to resolve, is they do?
    • What symptoms (such as stomach/GI issues) do you struggle with?
    • Have you tried anything to manage these symptoms?
  5. What medication and/or drugs are you currently using for coming off tramadol or any other purpose? What do you take each medication or drug for?
  6. What have you been using the opioids for, either a health condition you used them to try and treat or to manage discomfort of any kind?
    • What makes tramadol use attractive for you?
    • Have you attempted to explore the need(s) underlying the tramadol use?

That should be more than enough to get us started giving you some quality advice.

The short answer is that there is a lot you can do to help with GI stuff. What will help sort of depends.

Rather than just shoot in the dark, any clarification you feel comfortable offering will be helpful in pinpointing particular strategies that might be worth exploring.

It sounds like continuing a slow taper or using another medication(s) to help you transition to zero is what will be most helpful, but this is just an educated guess at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,
Thank you for getting back to me and putting in so much effort - I'll happily answer all your queries and really appreciate your help x

1. I've been taking Tramadol prescribed by my Doc on and off for 2 years - for back pain and chronic migraines, he also prescribes me Benzos to help sleep.
On bad days when I needed the pain relief I would take 8 pills 35mg each as prescribed and 5-10mg valium. I readily admit I love the buzz and started to
take tramadol at weekends recreationally as well as for pain relief. I never suffered any withdrawals, was possibly only physchologically addicted. only taking
them once a week. I had a bad accident in early December 2017 and bashed my head pretty bad. Thankfully I didn't break my nose or jaw but had massive
swelling and bruising and issue damage - its still a bit visible. My Doc prescribed me more of the same drugs for the pain - it was awful - like severe migraines every day.
This is where I got addicted. I was taking Tramadol and valium every day for the pain for a month. The pain decreased, then a week later I had to get another MRI as the pain
returned - back to taking the meds again.
2. So I was taking Tramadol and valium 3 times a week up to about 6 weeks ago. I decided I'd taper by 1/2 a pill every week - so I was down to 5 tramadol per dose 3 times a week and usually
only one valium. I felt comfortable with this - a long taper I know but having suffered depression more than once over the years I was worried about cutting out Tramadol too quickly. So I figured I'd be
down to no pills in 16 weeks - still have to take them for migraine but that was never a problem for the past 2 years - taking Tramadol once every 2 weeks or so. I was under a lot of stress recently and upped my dosage to 7 - to escape really. So I was taking 7 pills every other day and a couple of valium.
3. Nope - never got to zero.
4. The withdrawals are headaches, really ill stomach - throwing up and the other (sorry!), agitation, bunged up sinus. These symptoms have only started in the past 2 weeks since I stupidly upped my dose, and they don't go until I take my pills.
5. I'm not on any other medication.
6. It started as medical reasons but then i starting getting panic attacks after my accident. My face was so badly bruised and swollen people stared when I went out, so I retreated to my shell. My kids cried when they first saw me. (Note: I never binge on Tramadol until they are asleep - I have a loving Husband who is understanding and supports me.) I go through the day feeling ill and having a headache until the kids are in bed and I can take my pills. Honestly I love the buzz from Tramadol but desperately want to not be dependent on it. Bottom line is I'm a Mum and need to function. Thats why i wondered if other people have tried taking one pill in the morning to stave off the withdrawals - so I can function until I kick this. I've started tapering again - 1 pill a week this time and I'm on 6 now but its every other day instead of every 3 days , because the 3 day limit doesn't work and I start to feel ill.
Again thank you for taking the time to respond - its so much appreciated, and I welcome any advice you can offer me.
Love and warm regards
- Goosey xx

Np goosey. Anything for an awesome username %)

1. So your high dose was about 280mg tramadol? By high dose I mean the max dose you have taken regularly over this two-odd year time period you've had a serious relationship with tramadol.

2. The pills you are taking are 35mg tramadol hcl?
    • Sounds like you have a pretty good taper going. Not sure I have much to comment about that (see point 4.).

• Have you explored taking other meds to treat the migraines? There is lots of stuff prescribed for that, from gabapentin to pregabalin to Firocet to lots of other things. Might be worth exploring alternative treatments as you continue your taper. If you could find something for the migraines outside just tramadol and diazepam you'd probably be better off.

3. K, thanks for the clarification.

4. With the nasty withdrawal symptoms, first thing you can do is stabilize on your current dose.
    • If you're good with the dosing every other day, stick with that. You can reduce the frequency once you've stabilized a bit more, if that's still something you want down the road.

• Perhaps try reducing your dose by 1/2 pill again instead of 1 pill. Yes it will mean more time tapering, but slow and steady wins this race :)

• Likewise you can try taking some other meds to help you with nasty symptoms as you continue tapering (thinking like ondansetron/Zofran, gabapentin/Neurontin, possibly cannabis if you tolerate that well and it's accessible).

• With tapering, if a dose reduction hits you hard and causes withdrawal, try and stick with it for a couple days. If it does't start resolving by five to seven days post dosage reduction, up your dose a tiny bit - somewhere below the previous dose and above where you were with the reduction that exacerbated withdrawal symptoms (if you reduced your dose by 1/2 a pill, try increasing it by 1/4 of a pill).

• If a dose reduction hits you hard and the above doesn't help, just go back to the dose you were taking before the reduction that caused you problems. Stay on that an extra week or two and then continue the taper at a slower rate.

• There is nothing wrong with increasing your dose a little and/or taking breaks from your taper. That was a major help when I was tapering off methadone (methadone's an entirely different drug, but to give you an idea of my experience I spent 1.5 years of the 2.5 years I was on methadone tapering).

• With tapering, the most important thing is moving in the direction of less. How quickly you move is less important all else being equal (meaning only reason to go faster and force yourself to deal with more discomfort than necessary is if you have a limited supply of medication and no access to more).

5. Thanks for clarification. Strongly suggest looking into alternative treatments for your migraines if at all possible, other pharmacotherapies and anything else that helps (sometimes people benefit a lot from stuff like acupuncture).
    • You sound like you might be a candidate for psilocybin or some sort of psychedelic assisted therapy for headaches - maybe, I can't really assess for this.

6. Thanks again for the info. Sounds like the tramadol isn't the most appropriate treatment for you, given your goals and responsibilities in daily life. I wouldn't recommend rushing onto something else, but I believe you'd really benefit from dedicating yourself as far as is possible to finding alternatives to the tramadol and diazepam for your migraines.
    • Do you have a neurologist or someone who specializes in treatment of migraines? That is probably worth finding.

That was fun! Sounds like you have a pretty darn good head on you shoulders about this. The most important thing may simply be the realization that this will take time.

By devoting yourself to improving your overall health and wellbeing in this process (by extension resources you devote to your own wellbeing will be of benefit to your family and loved ones too) you'll maximize your chances for success and sustainable, long lasting, meaningful recovery.

I<3bbcode

To answer your question OP I would strongly recommend taking 1-2 tramadol (*of your daily allotment ) early in the day. Certainly yes it will help stave off the headaches n other wd symptoms and make a day with kids and activities much easier to get thru .
I don't think it would be damaging at all to your goals

Hi Toothpastedog - weirdest/best username ever!
Thanks so much for all your sound advice - yep - you're right I need to try something else down the road for the migraines. Thank you for all your time and help.
- you have been such a great help to me
- much love
- Goosey xx

Hi Runningfox,
Thanks a million - will try taking one Tramadol from my allocated tapered amount first thing to try stave off the bad stomach - fingers crossed t works
- Thank you for getting back to me
- Warm regards
- Goosey x