• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adult ADD and prescriptions for it?

BabyGurl3171

Bluelighter
What are some of the signs of adult ADD and what is usually prescribed to help? I seriously think I have ADD but I'm not sure if there is an adult onset and what medicine to ask for that could help. Thanks!

Same as children but they may look different in adults. Such as Inattention (Not finishing things, poor time management, lack of focus at work), Hyperactivity (Restless, impatience), Impulsivity (Impatience/irritability/interrupting others). Those are the general symptoms but there are others. Doctors may prescribe Once-daily medications that include Adderall XR, Vyvanse (also prescribed for children) and Concerta. They may also prescribe medications that need to be prescribed multiple times a day like Dexedrine, Adderall and Ritalin. Those are the more popular medications but there are many more.

You would be prescribed the exact same medication a child would receive, most likely in a somewhat higher dosage. Other than that it all depends on what your doc decides to start you off with and how it helps you. If he gives you one thing and you come back and say it didn't help you out enough you'll just move up the line til you find a drug and a dosage that balance out perfectly for you.

There is no such thing as ADD/ADHD. It is a made up name for a collection of symptoms so that speed can be sold to us and make it's owners rich beyond their wildest dreams.

I say this only in hopes that you will try to find a cure for your issues, not poison yourself at great expense.<3

^Bullshit. At least in low doses amphetamine is very safe, isn't recreational, and can have a very positive effect on people who actually suffer from ADD or ADHD, which can cause an array of problems at work/school, in relationships, etc. Stimulants are very overprescribed, I'll readily admit that, but that doesn't mean ADD/ADHD don't exist.

There is no such thing as ADD/ADHD. It is a made up name for a collection of symptoms so that speed can be sold to us and make it's owners rich beyond their wildest dreams.

I say this only in hopes that you will try to find a cure for your issues, not poison yourself at great expense.<3
Well the symptoms exist, and if speed can fix it why not?
They can have my money, in fact I'd gladly pay more.

^Bullshit. At least in low doses amphetamine is very safe, isn't recreational, and can have a very positive effect on people who actually suffer from ADD or ADHD, which can cause an array of problems at work/school, in relationships, etc. Stimulants are very overprescribed, I'll readily admit that, but that doesn't mean ADD/ADHD don't exist.

oh ADD/ADHD does exist, but just not the way they tell us.

There is not, never was, and NEVER will be a "disease" in our bodies that will be cured by getting high on amphetamine.

I don't need to show you any proof because I alread know that you will never be able to prove that statement otherwise.

;)

Speed cures nothing.

It melts faces, ...and bodies

Well the symptoms exist, and if speed can fix it why not?
They can have my money, in fact I'd gladly pay more.

Which symptoms exist?? The ones they list that their Speed can "fix"?

Ya, they list things that will be temporarily stepped around because of the power of amphetamine. Clever of them. But they are not fixing you, they are doing the opposite, harming you.

And yes, they will gladly have your money, and they will be more than happy to take more of it, just as soon as they make a new formula that ends up costing you the consumer more.

Ya, they list things that will be temporarily stepped around because of the power of amphetamine. Clever of them. But they are not fixing you, they are doing the opposite, harming you.

And yes, they will gladly have your money, and they will be more than happy to take more of it, just as soon as they make a new formula that ends up costing you the consumer more.

How are they harming me? Is there a better solution? If I can't pay attention and work worst without it, what is the incentive for me to stop it from 'harming me'?

As long as insurance (and/or generics) exist, it will never cost me more.

Until I start melting into my couch like that anit-marijuana commercial it seems like you're just not a fan of speed and are just throwing around the idea that 'since I don't have ADD, no one else does, making it fake.'

facepalm1.jpg

J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2008 Jun;28(3 Suppl 2):S39-45.
Catecholamine dysfunction in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: an update.
Prince J.

Department of Child Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA. [email protected]
Abstract
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a heterogeneous disease that affects children, adolescents, and adults. Genetic research has confirmed that there is a large hereditary component to this condition and has helped identify some of the genes associated with it. Among these are several genes associated with the catecholaminergic system including the dopamine receptor genes (DRD4 and DRD5), the dopamine transporter gene, and the gene for dopamine beta-hydroxylase, which catalyzes conversion of dopamine to norepinephrine. Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder is believed to be a result of abnormalities in the frontal regions of the brain, particularly the prefrontal cortex and associated subcortical structures and circuits. Underpinning these abnormalities are disturbances of catecholamine neurotransmission. Studies have demonstrated that patients with ADHD have depleted levels of dopamine and norepinephrine thought to be largely the result of dysfunction of their respective transporter systems. The efficacy of stimulant agents confirms that the neurotransmitter abnormalities seen in ADHD are primarily catecholaminergic in origin. This article focuses on the catecholaminergic networks of higher cognitive functions such as attention and focus and of motor functions that may be associated with such networks, reviewing both the physiology of such functions and the pathophysiology of ADHD. Researchers are currently investigating whether other neurotransmitter systems may be partially involved and are investigating whether agents that affect these other systems will prove complementary to currently used treatments.
The answer should be obvious about what they fix.

Sounds like a good idea to me (to ^) ;) :|

- now, how many of us DO this (?) .