• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News ADHD Med for Amphetamine Addiction Linked to Fewer Deaths And Hospitalizations

RUC4

Bluelighter

ADHD medication for amphetamine addiction linked to reduced risk of hospitalization and death

Medical XPress
by Karolinska Institutet
16 November 2022

Excerpts:

The ADHD medication lisdexamfetamine was associated with the lowest risk of hospitalization and death in people with amphetamine addiction, when medications generally used among persons with substance use disorders were compared.
Amphetamines are the second most used illicit drugs in the world and amphetamine-related hospitalizations are increasing substantially.
However, there are currently no approved pharmacological interventions available for treating addiction to amphetamine or the variant methamphetamine. Certain medications have shown promising results, but to date, the studies have often been small and convincing evidence is lacking.
Our results show that lisdexamfetamine, a medication approved for treating ADHD and in some countries also for binge eating, was the only specific medication associated with reduced risk of hospitalization and death," says the study's first author Milja Heikkinen, researcher at the University of Eastern Finland and Niuvanniemi Hospital.

I think it’s a move in the right direction. There are a number of medications available to treat opioid and alcohol use, and now there will be options for stimulants. (Recovering) addicts need as many tools as possible to avoid using, and more options will hopefully lead to more people getting help if they want help.

I also believe there is also a strong potential for dextroamphetamine in treatment for cocaine addiction. I believe some previous unpromising results were due to very small study samples, very short durations and vastly different ROA's.

change the parameters and I believe the results will come.

I don't see this news as at all surprising.
Vyvanse is just modified dextroamphetamine with an extremely unique extended release function built into its chemical structure, thus extending half-life and reducing abuse potential.
It is simple tapering, and probably one of the most pleasant and safe ways for amphetamine addicts to taper.
I'm glad that the medical field is catching on.

I don't see this news as at all surprising.
Vyvanse is just modified dextroamphetamine with an extremely unique extended release function built into its chemical structure, thus extending half-life and reducing abuse potential.
It is simple tapering, and probably one of the most pleasant and safe ways for amphetamine addicts to taper.
I'm glad that the medical field is catching on.
Hmmmm, not sure if tapering is really that effective in stimulant addiction. Maybe we happened upon suboxone because of all of the funding diverted to opioid addiction, but I would say for good reason. Don't think that there is much of a stimulant equivalent. And since stims are very moreish, seems that a taper with a stimulant would have to be done in-patient for several months, depending on other variables of course.

There was an article about the mirtazapine/bupropion/modafinil combination effectively doing away with the meth cravings of some.

Just my thoughts.

Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) prodrug metabolizes into d-amphetamines once entering the bloodstream (trypsin).

Must be taken orally with 3 hour onset and duration of 10-14 hours in healthy adults

Vyvanse 20mg capsule = 5.9mg of dextro-amphetamine (every 20mg Vyvanse is 6mg of d-amph)

It’s like the Methadone of dopaminergic stimulants ……very useful for several applications

Last edited:
Very exciting. I'm not sure how effective stimulant substitution/maintenance is. We have a dearth of treatments for stimulant addiction though, so I believe it's time to get creative.

I belive this has great potential.