• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Addiction is a learning disorder: Why the war on drugs is useless, AA undermines trea

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Addiction is a learning disorder: Why the war on drugs is useless, AA undermines treatment, and addiction studies can learn a lot from autism
Salon talks to Maia Szalavitz on her new book "Unbroken Brain: A Revolutionary New Way of Understanding Addiction"
ZACHARY SIEGEL
April 8th 2016

In September of 1986, Maia Szalavitz was charged with felony possession – nearly 2.5 kilos – of cocaine and faced 15 years to life under New York’s unduly harsh Rockefeller drug laws. Before then, she was a student at Columbia University, but had been suspended for dealing. After getting kicked out of a school she had worked her whole life to get into, her cocaine use accelerated to the point where she was injecting up to 40 times a day, and eventually escalated to speedballs, a powerful mixture of cocaine and heroin in a single shot.

At 23, when the thought crossed her mind of sleeping with a man for drugs, she knew it was time to get help, and voluntarily entered treatment. After her drug charge was eventually dismissed, she built a career dedicated to understanding one of the most complex entanglements human beings endure: addiction. She has since gone on to write about drugs, policy, and science for nearly 30 years with remarkable consistency.

In her impressive new book, “Unbroken Brain: A Revolutionary New Way of Understanding Addiction,” Szalavitz dives into the science of her development, to re-think a condition shrouded in myth and misconception. Her writing is quick and sharp, and takes immediate aim at “a system that calls you ‘dirty’ if you relapse; one that assumes you are a liar, a thief, or worse.” With science, logic, and experience, Szalavitz debunks old, moralistic ideas and replaces them with elegant new ones.

Salon spoke to Szalavitz about how re-thinking addiction can lead to more compassionate treatments and policies that aim to help rather than criminalize people with different wiring. The interview has been edited for clarity and length.

Addiction, in your view, is a neuro-developmental learning disorder. What does that mean?

It means that for one, addiction can’t occur without learning. When I say that, what I mean is literally if you don’t learn that the drug comforts you, makes you feel euphoric or allows you to cope in some way, you cannot be addicted to it—because you cannot crave it, because you don’t know what to pursue despite negative consequences. And that’s important, because people have often thought addiction is just this physiological process that hijacks your brain. That’s really not quite accurate. It involves learning, it involves interacting with the environment, interpreting the environment, and it involves making choices.

The other reason that I think it’s important to see addiction as a developmental disorder is that 90 percent of all addiction occurs between the teens and 20s. That is similar to other developmental conditions such as schizophrenia and depression, which tend to start at that age. That suggests there is a particular period of vulnerability that the brain has and also probably has to do with your life history, as well. When you hit your teens or 20s you’re learning the coping skills you need to handle the adult relationships that are necessary for survival and reproduction. If you are using drugs to escape during this time not only is your brain developmentally vulnerable to not being able to control the use of the drug, but you’re also missing out on developmental experiences that allow you to create other methods of coping.

Your book is scientific and steeped in research, but it is also extremely personal. What was it like researching yourself? Your development?

It was funny because I have done a lot of books that I’ve co-authored with people where I have a similar structure, using their experience to explain certain types of science. I thought, oh, this will be really easy because I don’t have to nag anybody to schedule interviews; I just have to nag myself. It was a lot harder than I thought and I felt a lot more vulnerable than I expected.

Looking back on that stuff was really intense. It sometimes makes me feel old because I look back and think, how the hell could I have done that? And you know at the time it didn’t seem as absurd and messed up as it does to me now. Once you are able to have your cortex exert proper control over your behavior it comes to seem completely alien behaving as an adolescent.

You kicked for good at 23. What’s the significance of that age? What’s going on in the brain developmentally around that time?

That is very interesting, because at that age between, say 23 and 25, is when the final sculpting of the prefrontal cortex is happening. I wondered if I stopped at that age because I had an insight that I needed to stop or because I had the neural ability to carry it out. That’s really not answerable. But at that age it is definitely the case that you are finally developing self-control and greater leverage over the motivational and pleasure areas that can drive you astray.

There is the scene in which you describe having that epiphany, where afterward you voluntarily enter treatment, right around that age.

That’s the way I’ve always framed it. Especially during my 12-step days, it made a good story. I certainly wasn’t being dishonest, that is how I believed it happened. It’s really difficult to determine causality in your own behavior and that’s actually one of the points I’m trying to make in the book. People always ask, “Well, how’d you do it?” And I can only tell you how I think I did it. But I don’t have 20 identical twins that did something different so I can prove this is exactly what happened.

Unfortunately, in the addictions field, we’ve developed this idea that one size fits all, and whatever works for me is going to work for you, and we can extrapolate from my experience to be the experience of all people with addiction. That’s why I like the saying from the autism community, which is: if you met one person with autism you’ve met one person with autism. We should be saying that about addictions. I find it really annoying when people say “all addicts do X or Y.” Well, maybe you do X or Y, but don’t speak for me.

I sort of see you as this addiction myth buster.

A lot of my work has been to try and break down these myths and try to look at more of the complexity without this criminal framing.

Along those lines, the medical establishment frames addiction as a “chronic, relapsing brain disease” and yet the prescription is unscientific, like AA. You argue this bolsters the moralistic and law enforcement approaches. Can you elaborate on how these frameworks are all connected?

Imagine I’m trying to argue that the medical condition I have is a disease. But, everybody who has that medical condition can be locked up for having that medical condition, and, if they’re not locked up, they are sent to treatment that involves prayer and restitution.

So, am I going to believe that’s a disease? If I go to cancer treatment and I get told I’m going to be locked up if my tumor grows or I’m going to have to pray to a higher power and surrender in order to get better, I’m going to definitely think that I’m not in mainstream medicine. I’m definitely going to be thinking that this is not a medical condition, that it’s some kind of sin. The 12-step people don’t see any contradiction in saying addiction is a disease and the treatment is prayer, meeting, and confession. But, from the outside that sounds completely absurd. It does not bolster the disease argument at all.

cont http://www.salon.com/2016/04/07/add...ddiction_studies_can_learn_a_lot_from_autism/

Just because someone correctly criticises 12 step doesn't make the rest of their shit correct.

Addiction is not a learning disorder. That's ridiculous. We need a different model of addiction but this is so far off the mark its not even funny.

I always felt addiction, personally not on a whole, is a pattern of behavior that can be corrected. All behaviors once recognized by myself are capable of being changed. There for once a pattern is recognized the behavior can be changed by disrupting the pattern. For me once i got on subs my desire for opiates was no longer there because the pattern changed, same thing with once i got on methadone.

I am not saying that its that way for everyone but i believe i am completely malleable in my behavior so once i dedicate myself to something like correcting a pattern it takes time but i actively work toward it and once that pattern is over it is replaced with something different. But yeah its not a learning disorder or a disease for me, its more like when a piston isnt firing correctly in your car, fix the patterned behavior thats causing the issue and the issue resolves. I think its way more complicated then "hey its this way or that way" because we are ALL different from each other. Just like i could never have anyone tell me "you cant do this on your own you need to accept there's a higher power / need help from others" thats just not who i am i fight battles solo i ask for help when needed but i fight until i cant fight anymore others dont believe they can do it at all and require others. Neither way is right as its a personal thing.

Again this is 100% personal and i never apply that to other people

thank you

Helps that I am a behavioral psychologist at heart. Always thought I'd fall more cognitive but yeah humans are all about patterned behavior. Because I view human behavior as a set of patterns that they do not want interfered with its easy for me to change my patterns as recognizing them is key. So I never got addicted to cigarettes even though I smoked them for 12 years on and off as its about avoiding associated patterns. I have since stopped smoking cigarettes because someone challenged me (after over a decade) and I just stopped and it was easy because the only time i really wanted one was after a joint, that was the only set pattern for cigarettes.

The other reason that I think it’s important to see addiction as a developmental disorder is that 90 percent of all addiction occurs between the teens and 20s. That is similar to other developmental conditions such as schizophrenia and depression, which tend to start at that age. That suggests there is a particular period of vulnerability that the brain has and also probably has to do with your life history, as well. When you hit your teens or 20s you’re learning the coping skills you need to handle the adult relationships that are necessary for survival and reproduction. If you are using drugs to escape during this time not only is your brain developmentally vulnerable to not being able to control the use of the drug, but you’re also missing out on developmental experiences that allow you to create other methods of coping.

I think she may be on to something here. The people I have met who developed addictions later in life tended to be better able to control there behavior and use. They still went to work and tried to keep up appearances at home. While people I know who started younger fell into more extreme patterns of abuse and don't give a fuck about appearances. Anecdotal on my end but still interesting.

I find this short video on addiction to be pretty good at suggesting what is going on within us and in western society. The first few seconds are just saying what was past knowledge, and it goes on to call this wrong.

The people I have met who developed addictions later in life tended to be better able to control there behavior and use. They still went to work and tried to keep up appearances at home. While people I know who started younger fell into more extreme patterns of abuse and don't give a fuck about appearances. Anecdotal on my end but still interesting.

Yeah that has been my experience as well.

As a younger addict I kept up working and leading a normal life from age 15 to 28. It was at 28 I stopped giving a fuck.

As a younger addict I kept up working and leading a normal life from age 15 to 28. It was at 28 I stopped giving a fuck.

Bit younger here. I luckily led a 'normal life', but I sure as shit didn't feel normal.

The video I posted explains my experiences (never been in a real cage thankfully) to an extent when I was younger. I've learned to never get cornered, and always have plans B through D ready to go, and plans E-H laid out in spirit being flexible depending on the context. I will never need my employer, and they will need me, or off I go to plan B.

40 shots a day, my word. That's a habit.

I do agree with the disease model though.

I don't think there will ever be a single model to explain every person's addiction. I think for some it is a disease. For others it is a matter of their circumstance, and for others there is no simple explanation. I think anyone who is facing health issues needs a helping hand no matter what. Facing both addiction and health issues compounded by addiction can be a deep hole many people never get out of.

I don't think there will ever be a single model to explain every person's addiction. I think for some it is a disease. For others it is a matter of their circumstance, and for others there is no simple explanation. I think anyone who is facing health issues needs a helping hand no matter what. Facing both addiction and health issues compounded by addiction can be a deep hole many people never get out of.

I agree. I hate it when people try to come up with a blanket explanation, like oh addiction is due to a learning disorder, a disease, or the result of early childhood trauma...I'm also of the opinion that people adopt negative substance use habits for any number of reasons.

You are so right. There is no one size fits all explanation of why we as addicts use. For me it was escaping negative feelings from growing up in a household that was abusive. It helped me cope, and as time went on it became my only coping skill. Luckily I have since quit and I am still working on coping skills. When problems arise I still find that my first thought is to just use and not feel anything, but I think things through now.

The disease model is pretty good, and I am glad that she is casting doubt on the validity of AA and NA. The idea for the twelve steps is sound but the organization is so full of people that are not gratefully sober, and will pass on that very idea after being sponsored by such a person. There needs to be more ideas on how to get sober. I am currently working on a way that addicts can help other addicts without all that mumbo jumbo associated with AA and NA. Once I finish it, I will post it in SL.

@shimmer&fade: Isn't it amazing how every addicts threshold for maintaining a normal life is different? I went through some abuse as a child through my teenage years, and I was able to keep my opiate/cocaine habit hidden for so long. It took some of the worst trauma I have ever experienced to push me over the deep end into feelings of self hate/ loathing to the point that I no longer cared if I lived or died. It also caused me to do things that I would have never dreamed of doing had the trauma not happened. Before that I never stole, never got so bombed at work I couldn't function and just maintained. After the trauma I just wanted to not feel anything because I had become so depressed that I nearly committed suicide (which fortunately did not work) because now I have a unique chance to help other addicts not have to go through the misery I went through.

Last edited:
I agree. I hate it when people try to come up with a blanket explanation, like oh addiction is due to a learning disorder, a disease, or the result of early childhood trauma...I'm also of the opinion that people adopt negative substance use habits for any number of reasons.

Couldn't agree with this more man. It's an interesting subject for discussion I might read further into her work later, but I do agree trying to generalise it doesn't work when we are all individuals with our own motifs and beliefs about what makes us do it.

@manboychef that's quite an insight you've allowed us there. I think when you read someone's story at that level you realise we are all individuals who've been through such different things it really emphasises what a complex issue addiction is. It's so closely linked to so many different kinds of real life trauma people have been through. I'd say that personality traits often influence things greatly too in a way that the type of drug that person will find addictive, ie someone who is naturally anxious before ever taking drugs is more likely to find benzos massively addictive than someone who was confident and outgoing prior to ever taking drugs.

Addiction is not a learning disorder. That's ridiculous. We need a different model of addiction but this is so far off the mark its not even funny.

I had this feeling initially as well. But I will wait to read the book so I know what she is talking about first.

I always felt addiction, personally not on a whole, is a pattern of behavior that can be corrected. All behaviors once recognized by myself are capable of being changed. There for once a pattern is recognized the behavior can be changed by disrupting the pattern. For me once i got on subs my desire for opiates was no longer there because the pattern changed, same thing with once i got on methadone

I think she may be on to something here. The people I have met who developed addictions later in life tended to be better able to control there behavior and use. They still went to work and tried to keep up appearances at home. While people I know who started younger fell into more extreme patterns of abuse and don't give a fuck about appearances. Anecdotal on my end but still interesting.

Here is a pretty decent short radio program around this.

Why Teens Are Impulsive, Addiction-Prone And Should Protect Their Brains

"The last place to be connected — to be fully myelinated — is the front of your brain," Jensen says. "And what's in the front? Your prefrontal cortex and your frontal cortex. These are areas where we have insight, empathy, these executive functions such as impulse control, risk-taking behavior."

I bet this is actually the other way around.. I bet empathy is being enacted upon pfc.

What does she mean by insight? Because if she means what I think she means I doubt that too.

So I think she has quite a few things messed up.. not with the brain development, but with the big picture of whats going on. But established and strengthened neural pathways.. what i was referring to as "known neural pathways" a while back when I was exploring that part of addiction are very a very significant part of addiction.

Taken this way I guess we could call addiction a learning disorder, but since there is so much more going on maybe we should not.

Last edited:
^^^I am with you on this. The problem is way to complex, and it is unique to the individual that there is just no one size fits all diagnosis and treatment plan. I think the idea of her book is only scratching the very surface. It begs the question "Why can some people put it down after extended periods of active use, however I can not?"

I find this short video on addiction to be pretty good at suggesting what is going on within us and in western society. The first few seconds are just saying what was past knowledge, and it goes on to call this wrong.

great video my GF and I have been saying this in round about ways but this vid help explain what were thinking. one of our biggest problems are money and when we have it we want to go out and have a good time instead of using but when were broke we find ourselves selling something to get high becuase we get depressed. when we could have sold whatever and still went out to have fun but the depression has already taken its toll by then and our brain gets dead set on using

Last edited:
I'm not sure if addiction is a learned or taught behaviour (not 'learned' the way this woman describes in her theory; but being taught or learned from a young age by a parent, relative, peer, or friend, other addict/user, etc. as I've heard this theory before), disease, something genetically inherited, or some combination of all of these factors?

Keep in mind that this woman is an a sensationalistic journalist, and not a medical professional, addiction/addictive behaviour specialist, psychologist/psychiatrist, or a neuropharmacologist.

I found this article by her:
http://time.com/4275880/the-genes-for-pot-addiction-have-been-identified/

Maia Szalavitz said:
The Genes for Pot Addiction Have Been Identified

They're also linked to depression and schizophrenia

For what may be the first time, specific genes associated with marijuana addiction have been identified— and some of them are also linked to increased risk for depression and schizophrenia. The findings could help explain why 90% of people with marijuana addictions also suffer from another psychiatric condition or addiction.

Last edited:
Maybe they are trying to self medicate the depression or paranoia associated with those mental illnesses? I know that when my major depressive disorder rears it's ugly head I tend to want to get high. I don't anymore because the weed these days is way to intense for me, and I end up having a bad time.

I do think that part of it is taught. IME I grew up with an addicted parent, and I later became an addict. My brother grew up in the same situation but did not develop a drug addiction. I think that there is a personal nature aspect of addiction or my brother would also be an addict. Maybe it is personal resilience?

Last edited: