• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Adderall & Weight Loss

Coolgirl2014

Bluelighter
So I have officially been prescribed this drug for going on four months. I don't really abuse it I'm only prescribed 10mg xr a day and that's pretty much what I stick with. Occasionally may take 2 so 20mg if I have a long day but rarely.

Anyway I'm about 5'6 naturally slender. Before meds about 117 lbs. im big on working out and like to build muscle because otherwise I look like a teenage boy (im a twenty something girl). Is adderall going to make this harder on me?

I know friends that have used this medicine for the purpose of losing weight but that was because they had no appetite and didn't eat. I track my calories and make sure to eat 1500-2000 a day even if I'm not hungry. But still over the course of almost four months I've gone down to 112. Is it speeding up my metabolism? Will this side effect go away? I eat a lot of protein...are there certain foods that are better to eat?

Any advice appreciated.

I think you're like me and I naturally have an extremely fast metabolism, and I come from a family where being naturally thin is genetic.

I'm not on Adderall or Dexedrine anymore for ADD but even now I still have trouble gaining weight and keeping it despite eating well balanced meals and enough calories daily. I have tried supplements but I don't gain weight from those. Have you talked to the doctor that prescribes you your medication about this? At least do this and get checked out. I did this and I'm fine and healthy but just naturally thin and have a very fast metabolism. I'm just writing this to say that you're not alone.

Do you take your medication daily? When I was on Adderall/Dexedrine I would take it 5X a week before school or classes, and not take it at all during the weekend, or during the summer or when I was not taking classes.

Hello, yes I definitely come from a family with naturally fast metabolisms that veers to the thinner side.

I have talked to my doctor she said she doesn't want me going below 110. They did tests for like hyper thyroid ism and everything to make sure the medication was safe. And said my blood pressure was surprisingly low normally the medication raises it.

It really helps me in my day to day life trying to manage school and work etc my brain is a mess and I'm very easily distracted without it. But I actually so go on week breaks at a time just to try and gain some weight back.

Good to know I'm not alone! Was just wondering if there were certain foods my body would absorb better help me keep weight on while taking the medication. I guess I will talk to my doctor about. I've been put on numerous different things to help and this medicine is the only thing that does finally.