• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adderall, malnutrition, and motivation-my experiences

nancy145

Bluelighter
I wanted to share my experience with Adderall, malnutrition, and they're effect on energy and motivation because I feel like it would benifit others.
Ive used Adderall for about two years now, except for about 5 months from March-September 2016 and this last month (December 2016). I was prescribed it for severe lack of motivation and energy, and also to wake up in the morning, which I had such a hard time doing that I was 2-3 hours late to school on average before it. It worked great, but later on I had psychosis like symptoms (not related to my Adderall use) so I stopped it. Five months later, I found out it wasn't psychosis and coincedently had very low motivation around the same time, so we started the Adderall again.
I was on 40 mg for the majority of the time I was on it at first, then after stopping it for 5 months got back on 30 at first, then 40 after a week or two. It was significantly less effective, so I got the dose upped higher and higher until it got to 60 mg. After that, my psychiatrist said we can't go any higher because of my weight (120 pounds, 5'11" and 16 years old at the time).
It didn't feel like 60 mg though. I found the effects of 40 mg from before March to be significantly stronger than the 60 mg after September. At the time, I didn't know why. I now believe it's because I was malnourished. I would eat almost nothing, and I was also a vegan, but I didn't pay attention to my diet and compensate for nutrition normally found in animal products. Adderall doesn't just magically create energy, it makes your body use it faster. The source of the energy is still food. If there's no fuel, there's no fire. I just didn't realize that at the time.
About two months ago (11/6/16 to be exact) I overdosed (non-fatal), and ended up in the hospital. They took me off the adderall temporarily because I didn't need it lying in a hospital bed all day. I went to a residential program after that, and the doctor there didn't want me back on it because of it's potential for abuse. Because of that, and another medication that increased apatite, I gained 40 pounds the 51 days i was in treatment. My motivation now is better sober than it was when i was on adderall. I got lots of treatment for motivation as well, so there's a variable there, but the food is still a huge factor in it.
All in all, stimulants are great IMO, but doses too high can actually be counterproductive. If you use stimulants, you really need to make sure you're eating enough. Like I said before, there's no fire without any fuel.

Last edited:
Be extremely careful with Adderall, Dexedrine, and other stimulants. They are not to be used as appetite suppresants or for dieting, and you should not take them and then just not eat any food or drink water since you don't feel like it.

If your appetite is destroyed on them which is a common side effect force yourself to eat food and eat more calories and several well balanced small meals during the day.

If you take moderate or larger doses you're going to get a tolerance fast which is why doses which are higher don't feel like they normally would for you. Stay safe.

I'm writing this on a phone so I'm going to post it bit by bit by editing to make sure it doesn't accedently delete it.
Anyway, I wanted to share my experience with Adderall, malnutrition, and they're effect on energy and motivation because I feel like it would benifit others.
Ive used Adderall for about two years now, except for about 5 months from March-September 2016 and this last month (December 2016). I was prescribed it for severe lack of motivation and energy, and also to wake up in the morning, which I had such a hard time doing that I was 2-3 hours late to school on average before it. It worked great, but later on I had psychosis like symptoms (not related to my Adderall use) so I stopped it. Five months later, I found out it wasn't psychosis and coincedently had very low motivation around the same time, so we started the Adderall again.
I was on 40 mg for the majority of the time I was on it at first, then after stopping it for 5 months got back on 30 at first, then 40 after a week or two. It was significantly less effective, so I got the dose upped higher and higher until it got to 60 mg. After that, my psychiatrist said we can't go any higher because of my weight (120 pounds, 5'11" and 16 years old at the time).
It didn't feel like 60 mg though. I found the effects of 40 mg from before March to be significantly stronger than the 60 mg after September,
Probably gonna get around to finishing this tommorow
Not sure exactly where you are going with your statement, like you said you will finish it up later, but let me respond to what you've said already. Many find less is more when taking adderall. I'm assuming and hoping you are prescribed legally for the medication because taking this drug should be monitored closely by a trusted doctor or psychiatrist. I have been prescribed to this medication for years now and I have come to understand that Adderall has its ups and downs just as any drug does. Adderall's ups and downs can be extreme and can be like riding an emotional roller coaster. I will look for you to finish your questions because I feel I have some answers for you or at least experience I can share.