• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Actual amount of alcohol needed to cause issues?

wheaters

Bluelighter
So, the countless threads ive seen of people drinking 24/7 handles of vodka a day to 20+ beers...and years without stopping only to not have any issues..

Just curious as someone whos had about 150units a week for nearly 2 month, if the rest of my health is fine whats the issue?

Ive heard you literally need to be drunk all day everyday blacking out to cause issue, where as i still work 40 hours and week and exercise plus eat healthy :)

So, the countless threads ive seen of people drinking 24/7 handles of vodka a day to 20+ beers...and years without stopping only to not have any issues..

Just curious as someone whos had about 150units a week for nearly 2 month, if the rest of my health is fine whats the issue?

Ive heard you literally need to be drunk all day everyday blacking out to cause issue, where as i still work 40 hours and week and exercise plus eat healthy :)
The issue is that you can't do this indefinitely. The folks who stopped without having any issues are the lucky ones. They stopped before they had issues, myself included (at least any major issues such as fatty liver, alcoholic hepatitis or God forbid, cirrhosis or cardiac myopathy). For every one of us that are lucky, there are also a lot of people who were unlucky. To think that it can't catch up with you is naive. 150 units a week comes out to 21 units a day well over the recommendation of 14 units a week, and given that you say you work 40 hours, that 21 units is not spread out over an estimated 16 hours of wakefulness but rather concentrated in just a few hours which makes it all the more unhealthy.

100% true normally a 4 hour window (jeez i even know the timing) i guess i should probs start to cut back eh!

IMO, the amount you drink is less important than the problems caused by alcohol, but regularly engaging in binge drinking (5 standard glasses over a few hours) is quite dangerous. The WHO considers 120g per day as high risk (8.5 drinks), that means high physical damage and addiction risk increases.
Being able to work doesn't mean anything if you ask me. Many alcoholics are high-functioning