Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Accidental "Trip", Tachycardia on Downers

+polar//ities-

Greenlighter
Well, last night was scary. I want to preface this by saying I've mixed alprazolam and alcohol quite a few times, and I'm well aware of the dangers though I'm also aware of what it does to me. I could take half of my day's scrip an hour before going out with friends, have three drinks at a bar, and still be perfectly able to walk, speak, and totally fine to drive. I once binged (at home) with 10mg over the course of the day and five beers, and although I was a little off balance and remembered little of the night, it was a very calm time of smoking hookah in the backyard with my friend, nothing insane happened. So I was really surprised by what just happened.

I take 4mg alprazolam every day. My first bar was early in the morning and my second at 9PM. The only thing different is that for the past week, I've been drinking Valerian tea from time to time. Sometimes right before bedtime and sometimes in the middle of the day, and it had a minor but pleasant interaction with my alprazolam. I my Valerian tea last night around the same time as my alprazolam. Was planning on going to sleep around 11, but my friend called and asked if I wanted to hang out down at his house for a few. I agreed and we did what we always do - LAN games and smoking hookah.

After we finished a bottle of Diet Pepsi I went into the kitchen to look for another, though found one remaining beer from a party from a month ago and figured one beer would be nothing, and I started drinking it. 3/4 of the 12 oz. bottle later and I was still feeling totally normal, and out of nowhere, it hit me. A total lightheadedness. When I stood up I was walking as if I had drank 12 beers. No double vision, just a total lack of balance and a feeling of derealization. I poured out the rest of the beer into the kitchen sink. Then I went into the bathroom and puked (semi-voluntarily, as in I was nauseous but could have held back, but decided to force myself to since I was worried).

Then I walked back into my friend's room and was suddenly sprawled on the floor. Thankfully I had no injury except for a tiny scrape on my knee. My friend was freaked out since he saw I wasn't supposed to be drunk. I explained (I could still talk fine) that I thought the alcohol and my benzo was having an intense interaction, but I had no clue why because I've done so much heavier, higher doses before and was never this fucked up. I told him I would just lay down on his bed and that if I fell asleep to wake me up. But I did not fall asleep. We started watching House on Netflix. A half-hour passed between my blackout and me laying down, but I was afraid to stand up. I did notice a pounding and then felt my pulse, and it was going faster than any time except for when I recreationally used dexmethylphenidate. This freaked me out big time. I had already thought the Valerian + alprazolam + alcohol combo was responsible for the episode by this time but I had no idea why my heart was going insane.

I was also having arrhythmia. I want to make it clear that I was not having a panic attack. Though the "trip" came on as a shock, I knew I'd be better if I just laid down awhile and still had a calm mindset about it all. No "I'm going to die thoughts." I just found it unnerving my heart was racing while I had a minor OD on downers. After an hour, I stood up to walk again and could walk straight. My heart raced on and off again periodically through the night. I finally went home (friend lives down the street, didn't drive anywhere) and went to sleep. I woke up 5 and a half hours later with a slight headache but nothing else wrong. I'm writing this two hours after waking.

Valerian tea + alcohol + alprazolam. I am never going to have all three within the same eight hours ever again.
Can anyone explain the paradoxical racing heart, and I will reaffirm, I was not having a panic attack.

Benzo's are known to produce paradoxical reactions sometimes, some people get them by default.
It is possible the valerian added in the interaction, or.. you just still took too much. Not sure if the setting was 100% the same as you're used to but there can be setting based tolerance, but if not, sometimes you can just have a bad reaction.
Maybe that sounds like gee shit you'll never know, but basically it is hard to predict and the fact that you can tolerate certain tricky combo's does not mean that you don't have some bad reaction coming sooner or later....

glad you're alright tho