• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc About tobacco containing MAOIs and smoking on SSRIs

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Anyone who has been on anti-depressants knows that there i a LOT of emphasis on never taking MAOIs and SSRIs together or within 2 weeks of each other.
Tobacco contains MAOIs, which is why some people still find it really hard to quit smoking even while on NRT.

So I'm on Sertraline/Zoloft (an SSRI) and have been for 13 years. I'm technically prescribed 150mg (therapeutic/prescription dose is usually 50mg-200mg), although I take up to 350mg/day.
I'm also a heavy smoker at about 30 cigarettes a day.

So how come the SSRI and MAOI don't interact? Or are they?

They do interact quite badly I belive.

Cigs probably have a low maoi %, especially when compared to nicotine content.

So how come the SSRI and MAOI don't interact? Or are they?
Wondered the same ever since I learned that cigs contain harmala alkaloids like those used to enable oral DMT. Must be a low concentration I suppose.

Also based on this knowledge I'd like to try a vape liquid containing both nicotine and harmaline as I found pure nicotine to be underwhelming and heavily moreish. I even have some peganum harmala seeds here but I need a mortar and pestle to ground them first, then extract the goods etc.

There are 2 types of maoi reversible and non reversible

Reversible ones can be pushed off their site by other chems I think

Harmalines are reversible as is moclobemide, which indeed can be displaced by loads of tyrosine but in theory the target transmitter (serotonin) shouldn't displace it or it wouldn't work at all. Well, moclobemide was as useful as a board in front of your head though so possibly it does get pushed away by serotonin.

Just wanted to also point out that tobacco is a rather potent inducer of enzymes CYP1A1 and CYP1A2, which will significantly lower plasma levels of some antipsychotics and other medications including certain SSRIs I believe as well