View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Aborting LSD Trip

mjax666

Greenlighter
Someone I was talking to was saying that there are numerous ways to abort LSD trips. He said something about antidepressants being able to help? Is that true? I know that some antipsychotics work but do antidepressants Work the same way?

He was probably talking about trazodone. Trazodone is an SARI medication that has hypnotic and antidepressant properties, and can be used to abort a trip.

anti-psychotics are the only way to truly abort a trip. Benzos will calm the intensity down immediately and in my opinion the best class of drugs for psychedelic emergency's.

Heavy duty: Quetiapine type anti-psychotics.

Mid level: benzos

Lower level: beer.

Benzos?? Not in my experience.
I think most anti-psychotics will do it. Benzos tend to just mellow you out a bit, unless you're really sensitive to them or something.

Won't necessarily kill the trip, so much as dull it really.. or send you to sleep.

depends on how dire the circumstances are / doses used.

Hence the levelling :)

Benzos work for me. Not necessarily kill the trip outright, but essentially abort it as much as I could imagine. Never used antipsychs, too many side effects. Spilled a lot of liquid on me at a festival (~20-30 strong hits for someone who normally takes 1) and when I realized what was happening to me, it just took benzos and some friends to calm me down. A few hours later I was ok.

Agreed with what halah posted although never had to resort to heavy duty but it's supposed to help and makes perfect sense that they (antipsychotics) should, as long as its a 5HT2A antagonist and not only some dopaminergic antagonist or something really atypical.

And yes there are different types of problems / different levels. If you really lost the plot completely and are a threat to yourself or others (or people are very concerned for your condition and how it develops), the antipsychotic is the choice... but if it's more like a panic attack like freakout benzos are better. Panic / anxiety attacks can even cause sober people to feel like they're dying but there is no danger to health or sanity.

Yeah beer can really dull the shit out of it, rediscovered that just last weekend. It certainly wasn't necessary and I don't plan on doing it again, but I am trying to limit alcohol to the weekends and let myself go a bit while on acid.

Benzos?? Not in my experience.
I think most anti-psychotics will do it. Benzos tend to just mellow you out a bit, unless you're really sensitive to them or something.

I agree, though I have found that 50mg of temazepam (a much bigger dose than I normally sometimes take) really bought an MXE journey back to something close to baseline. Instead of being dissociated, I was just drunk and lifeless. Something like 10-15mg is enough to relax me and retain the interesting trippiness.

Benzo with a psychedelic is actually great fun, if you keep the benzo dose low. Enough to add a bit of calm but not too much amnesia. GHB is a great way to bring down a nervous tripper too; well, its effective for me and goes very nicely with most serotonergic psychedelics.

Benzo with a psychedelic is actually great fun, if you keep the benzo dose low. Enough to add a bit of calm but not too much amnesia.
Agreed....on the tail end of an acid trip especially.

I once completely aborted an acid trip with heroin, but i would not recommend that.

Benzo with a psychedelic is actually great fun, if you keep the benzo dose low. Enough to add a bit of calm but not too much amnesia. GHB is a great way to bring down a nervous tripper too; well, its effective for me and goes very nicely with most serotonergic psychedelics.
I've been helped into some of my deepest meditative psychedelic states thanks to Xanax, 1mg down the hatch and I could lay perfectly blissful and still and let the drug take over full force, it was beautiful