• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

A soon to be 23 year old doctor, accidentally overdosed.

GABAking

Bluelighter
My friend Craig died on the 21st of September. He accidentally OD'ed on klonopin, methadone, and alcohol. He was 21 years old and only 2 years away from receiving an MD (a doctor at 23!). He went to bed 'normal' and never woke up. I walked into his room after class to see a stiff body and blue lips.

I am deeply saddened by this loss, and I don't know what to write about him...other than he was a generous guy, kept to himself, and was always so, so polite. I am gonna miss my friend.

I always mix benzos and opiates, b/c I thought I was invincible 'cause I have a tolerance to both. But this unfortunate event has opened my eyes---drugs do not discriminate. They will overpower you if you mistreat them. Knowledge is power. Knowledge is life, really. Craig had the same mentality about mixing downers; we always would chase the high together. Now I just wish I had my friend by my side.

RIP Craig, you will be missed. The only thing I can do is learn from this tragedy and hope that it never happens to anyone close to me again.

Please guys, don't mix opiates and benzos. This kid could eat 10 mg of klonopin and function fine, eat 60 mg of methadone and go to class. But when he combined the two...well, that story is a lot more bleak.

I am so sorry that you lost a friend and terribly sorry for his family. That is a very tragic end to a promising life.

So sorry about your loss. My cousin was 21 and also mixed the two....well it was xanax and methadone...he never woke up either...surprised he didnt know better. Please spread the word that these substances will kill you taken together. I know two other young guys this happened to within three years. Be careful with methadone always. :(

My sincere condolences again GABAking. Truly a tragedy, someone so young losing their life in this way. Words on a screen seem a very inadequate response sometimes, but my sympathies are with you, his family and friends. RIP Craig.

I'm really sorry to hear that.

The same exact thing happened to me on the same exact combination of drugs, but after a few shocks from a defibrillator, my heart started back beating. Reading this really reminds me of how lucky I am to be alive and wonder why I lived, when great people like your friend haven't made it.

Thank you all for the kind words. I truly appreciate it. And the above poster, Im glad you made it out okay. Methadone is a scary ass opiate. Too many deaths have occurred while on it

I'm so so sorry about your loss... <3 words on a screen cannot express how deeply this affected me for some reason.

RIP Craig - even though I never met you, it's certainly a tragedy.

xx

was he a member here?

and im suprised that he was that wreckless considering he was gonna be a doctor..i would hope he would have been smarter..i hate to sqay it but if you and your friends do opiates and benzos, he wont be the last one..me personally i have known 9 or10 people who have OD andeven though it was because of the needle, im pretty sure most of them combined the 2 and it factored in also

^he was not a member but he read this site frequently.

I'm in medical school too, and I'll be arrogant and say I'm pretty damn smart. But realistically, as I stated, drugs don't discriminate. I know (and craig did, too) that mixing benzos and opiates are bad....but medical students, doctors, pharmacists, the homeless, teachers...it doesn't matter. It's the elusive high that one chases. Just because we are trained to learn mechanisms of drugs and contraindications doesn't mean that someone won't make the wrong decision. Unfortunately, it takes something as drastic as death to realize that all of those "bad" things we learned about can actually affect you

Definitely be careful with that combo. I mix downers all the time.
One particular time i was on SMALL doses like... 10-15mg oxy (small tolerance) and 1 mg xanax.
Once i took that last quarter bar to make it 1.5mg xanax i started feeling extremely sedated. I felt like i was sinking lower, and i couldn't even walk straight wobbling all over the place. NOT FUN at all, looked in the mirror was pale as hell.
Don't mix benzos and opiates guys, it just takes one time to have a serious reaction even with LOW doses!

OP - Please look after yourself. I've had to deal with dead bodies before now and PTSD can take it's time to appear. If you notice any symptoms, get a referral from your GP ASAP. The longer the time between the event and treatment, the less utility the treatment has. 10 years later & I still get flashbacks.

That is a tragedy......I'm very sorry for this misfortune.......And look at pictures of when he was alive to help absorb the last time you saw him.....My friends dad died five days before his wife was getting out of prison....All he wanted was to see her and them be a family again.....His son found him in the shower and he has been tormented with dreams of his dads face like everyday since then. That was a little over two weeks ago......All in all let us learn thru our mistakes......Life should never be taken for granted.....