Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

A question I've pondered all my life... (computers in movies)

drama
as a director, i have no idea how many times i've had to demand: the computers need to emote more!

nb. i'm not a director

and laptops always have such awesome battery life. :!

this would have made a great Film & TV thread, by the way. ;)

#1: Because silence would mess up the scene. As an audience member, do you want to just sit there while someone's working on a computer? Click-click-click, letters silently appear on the screen. The audience needs something to keep it involved while the information is being retrieved and displayed. This would not be a productive silence such as in a dark scene filled with suspense and a killer lurking in the shadows.

#2: It's become convention, and convention is something that must be followed by filmmakers unless there's a very good reason to break it. Film audiences are genre and convention experts, whether they know it or not. They expect things to be done in certain ways. Creative convention-breaking can be very satisfying (e.g., Pulp Fiction), but if it's done in a mainstream movie and to a convention that's unimportant such as a computer making beeping noises, it could break the suspension of disbelief in the audience and pull the audience out of the movie momentarily. It could be done in a joking way by referring to the convention ("What the fuck is wrong with this computer? Why isn't it going beeping?") or in an art house film to demonstrate tedium or realism, but there has to be a good reason to do it.

I always remember the scene in Jurassic Park ... "It's a UNIX system! I know this!" ... as the computer is running some sort of weird flight simulator over blocky 3D chips and shit ...

they also always have a big square in the middle of the screen for the passsword to the secret files, and then large blinking characters that say "access denied"

SomeKindaLove said:
I always remember the scene in Jurassic Park ... "It's a UNIX system! I know this!" ... as the computer is running some sort of weird flight simulator over blocky 3D chips and shit ...

that's actually a real file manager, although i've long since forgotten the name.

michael said:
that's actually a real file manager, although i've long since forgotten the name.

No shit?

Do you actually, like, fly over shit in 3D? Cause that's really weird, maybe in an awesome way for the first few minutes...

tribal girl said:
I've always wondered why it is that when someone's talking on the phone, and the line goes dead, why do they continue to go, "hello?...hello?...HELLO?...".

Not as bad as my grandma who, without fail, always says AMY?......AMY?...... AMY???? on her messages she leaves in my voicemail. I guess she hasn't figured out this whole 'answering machine' concept yet.

AmorRoark said:
Not as bad as my grandma who, without fail, always says AMY?......AMY?...... AMY???? on her messages she leaves in my voicemail.

some woman used to call me all the time and go 'ed?...ed?...ED?...it's aunt betty!...ED!'

like 3 or 4 times in a row. note that i've had the same landline number since 1977 and nobody named ed has ever lived here.

AmorRoark said:
Not as bad as my grandma who, without fail, always says AMY?......AMY?...... AMY???? on her messages she leaves in my voicemail. I guess she hasn't figured out this whole 'answering machine' concept yet.
My grandma does the same damn thing! The weird thing is, my name is Jamie not Amy. She'll never get it right. Even more weird? She's been dead for about 5 years. It has lost its creep factor over time. Now it's just annoying.

What about the spaceship computers in movies? They always seem to be voiced by a woman. And of course, they always self-destruct the motherfucker so we have to listen to, "Detonation will occur in t minus twelve minutes." with constant updates every ten seconds. As if anyone's going to forget they're on a ship that's about to explode.