View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

A look at Ohio’s new lethal injection drugs, including midazolam

poledriver

Bluelighter
A look at Ohio’s new lethal injection drugs, including midazolam

d752ddde13ff7545ca6c8f224ab2ed78

THE US state of Ohio has approved the use of a controversial drug for executing its worst offenders, but critics say it will inflict an excruciating death.
Ronald Phillips, a convicted rapist and child killer, is likely to find out first hand.

Phillips is awaiting execution on January 12 after authorities this month approved a new three-drug method for lethal injection.
The deadly cocktail will include the use of the sedative midazolam, a second drug called rocuronium bromide, which paralyses the inmate, and another called potassium chloride, which stops the heart.
The drugs are similar to those used prior to 2014, but will be delivered in higher doses.

Previous use of the three drugs resulted in botched executions in Arizona, Oklahoma and Ohio, including one that left the patient convulsing and struggling for more than 30 minutes.
Prisons have been searching for new drugs as inmates wait in limbo for their last meal and to be strapped to their death beds. But as Ohio prepares to reintroduce the death penalty after a two-year hiatus, critics are crying out for a more humane solution.
They say the drug midazolam could lead to executions “akin in level of pain and suffering to being buried alive, burning at the stake”.

GASPED, SNORTED FOR 26 MINUTES

The aim of the new method is to make it more humane than the previous method, one that was used during the execution of Dennis McGuire.
McGuire, a convicted killer, “experienced true pain and suffering” on January 16, 2014, according to an anaesthesiologist in a sworn statement.

In the chamber known as the “death house”, the 53-year-old told family members he loved them shortly after the drugs began coursing through his veins.
Minutes later his stomach began to swell up and he “struggled and gasped audibly for air”, according to witness Lawrence Hummer.

“I was aghast. Over those 11 minutes or more he was fighting for breath, and I could see both of his fists were clenched the entire time,” Hummer wrote in an account published by The Guardian.
“His gasps could be heard through the glass wall that separated us. Towards the end, the gasping faded into small puffs of his mouth. It was much like a fish lying along the shore puffing for that one gasp of air that would allow it to breathe. Time dragged on and I was helpless to do anything, sitting helplessly by as he struggled for breath. I desperately wanted out of that room.”

Anaesthesiologist Dr Kent Diveley said in a three-page statement following McGuire’s death that neither of the drugs he was administered — midazolam and hydromorphone — could be depended on “to produce a rapid loss of consciousness” in their current doses.
Ohio will use the same drug, midazolam, but increase the dosage from 100 milligrams to 500 milligrams, more than 25 times the dose used to sedate patients in hospitals.

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-...SF&utm_source=News.com.au&utm_medium=Facebook

The lack of humanity in our culture saddens me.

I know he suffered, but he also raped and killed several children. I bet their pain was greater than his.

Capital punishment will go the way of the dinosaur as more and more pharmaceutical companies refuse to sell their products to corrections departments for execution purposes. I don't think the public has the stomach to return to earlier, more primitive methods of executing convicts such as electrocution, hanging, firing squad etc. The Florida Supreme Court struck down our death penalty statute since a simple majority (vs. a unanimous decision) of a jury can sentence someone to death, so now each and every capital offender in Florida is going to have to have their cases reexamined. Nebraska abolished capital punishment last year. It may not be the beginning of the end, but to quote Winston Churchill, it may be the end of the beginning of getting rid of this uncivilized practice.