• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

A Dry Pipeline for Psychiatric Drugs: Few new medicines are being developed.

Bluelight Crew
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/20/h...for-psychiatric-drugs.html?src=me&ref=general

Fully 1 in 5 Americans take at least one psychiatric medication. Yet when it comes to mental health, we are facing a crisis in drug innovation.

Sure, we have many antidepressants, antipsychotics, hypnotic medications and the like. But their popularity masks two serious problems.

First, each of these drug classes is filled with “me too” drugs, which are essentially just copies of one another; we have six S.S.R.I. antidepressants that essentially do the same thing, and likewise for the 10 new atypical antipsychotic drugs.

Second, the available drugs leave a lot to be desired: patients with illnesses like schizophrenia, major depression and bipolar disorder often fail to respond adequately to these medications or cannot tolerate their side effects.

Yet even though 25 percent of Americans suffer from a diagnosable mental illness in any year, there are few signs of innovation from the major drug makers.

After a series of failed clinical trials in which novel antidepressants and antipsychotics did little or no better than placebos, the companies seem to have concluded that developing new psychiatric drugs is too risky and too expensive. This trend was obvious at the 2011 meeting of the American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, where only 13 of 300 abstracts related to psychopharmacology and none related to novel drugs. Instead, they are spending most of their research dollars on illnesses like cancer, heart disease and diabetes, which have well-defined biological markers and are easier to study than mental disorders.

To understand this predicament, it helps to know how we got here.

All of our current antidepressants, antipsychotics and anti-anxiety drugs share the same molecular targets in the brain as their prototypes from the 1950s. For example, the new antipsychotic drugs block dopamine receptors in critical brain regions, just like the first antipsychotic, Thorazine, synthesized in 1950. And all of our current antidepressants increase the levels of one or more of the neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamine or norepinephrine, just like the early tricyclic antidepressants.

With rare exceptions, it is hard to think of a single truly novel psychotropic drug that has emerged in the last 30 years. True, the new psychotropic drugs are generally safer and more tolerable than older prototypes, but they are no more effective. So why has the pharmaceutical industry churned out so many copycat drugs?

The simple answer is that we don’t yet understand the fundamental cause of most psychiatric disorders, in part because the brain is uniquely difficult to study; you can’t just biopsy the brain and analyze it. That is why scientists have had great trouble identifying new targets for psychiatric drugs.

Also, knowing how a drug works in the brain doesn’t necessarily reveal the cause of the illness. For example, just because an S.S.R.I. antidepressant increases serotonin in the brain and improves mood, that does not mean that serotonin deficiency is the cause of the disease; many depressed patients get better with medications that have no effect on serotonin.

The story continues: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/20/h...for-psychiatric-drugs.html?src=me&ref=general

People fail to understand that psychiatry is a band-aid not a cure...

People should understand this from the get go.

SSRI’s were failures from the very beginning. psych medications are so shitty, there are so many complications to them...

After numerous failures with multiple medications for my depression and anxiety, Benzos always worked... No SSRI I was ever on in my 10 year struggle which is like 6 or 7 has ever worked.

I don’t even feel or think I’m depressed. I’m just a really tense person... I’m 23 with high blood pressure and normal weight... I’m just highly stressed thinking about how much work I put into my life and it goes absolutely nowhere.

College loans, no money, no job, temp jobs, no house, parents, can’t drive, can’t do anything fun that requires money besides drugs.... I can’t afford to do shit but drugs, sometimes not even that.

Drugs are cheap and plentiful.... Entertainment is getting more and more expensive. Shit that used to be free now cost money. Shit that used to be cheap is now expensive. This includes this so-called medication.

No matter what, whatever the fuck I do is not even chipping at any of my fucking problems. I can’t do shit right with this stressed mind-frame...

People fail to understand that psychiatry is a band-aid not a cure...

People should understand this from the get go.

SSRI’s were failures from the very beginning. psych medications are so shitty, there are so many complications to them...

After numerous failures with multiple medications for my depression and anxiety, Benzos always worked... No SSRI I was ever on in my 10 year struggle which is like 6 or 7 has ever worked.

I don’t even feel or think I’m depressed. I’m just a really tense person... I’m 23 with high blood pressure and normal weight... I’m just highly stressed thinking about how much work I put into my life and it goes absolutely nowhere.

College loans, no money, no job, temp jobs, no house, parents, can’t drive, can’t do anything fun that requires money besides drugs.... I can’t afford to do shit but drugs, sometimes not even that.

Drugs are cheap and plentiful.... Entertainment is getting more and more expensive. Shit that used to be free now cost money. Shit that used to be cheap is now expensive. This includes this so-called medication.

No matter what, whatever the fuck I do is not even chipping at any of my fucking problems. I can’t do shit right with this stressed mind-frame...

I love this post. My situation is similar. \I moved out at 21 because my dad was tired of my drug use but I hadn't gotten there yet. I get invited to bars\parties and get togethers on a daily basis. But I go home get shit-faced, get kinda high, and occasionally talk to my 65 year old roommate. Its cheaper than the bar. I'm 22 but I don't have a license so I can't go anywhere (DUI and totalled car!). I've got a lot of anxiety and deal with bipolar.

I've been having trouble at work because of my condition. After countless attempts at SSRI's, antipsychotics, and the like the only thing that helps me are benzos and the very occasional Vyvanse. No luck anywhere else. Weed is the only thing that helps me with the mood swings. And its cheap and plentiful. So I smoke my fair share. I've been a daily smoker for almost 7 years now. And its the only thing besides benzos that help me from day to day. SSRI's help a small portion of people likely through placebo effect, are riddled with side effects, and give millions of people false hope only to be dissapointed again and again. I know benzos are addictive I've been there. But they do WORK. SSRI's...atleast for me and many of my friends, just don't fucking work. Maybe that's why were all on drugs?

I want to take these meds. I want them to work My mom always gets mad at me for getting off my meds. When taking them I could never hold a job. I couldn't drive, ride a bike, or do anything. I wouldn't even want too. The docs are convinced I need Seroquel. On Seroquel I feel like I would just love to kill myself if I only had the energy and motivation.

Last edited:
Depression has been on an off with me for yrs. Self medicating with valium and weed was helpful but I couldn't find a shrink that would maintain the vals so eventually I tried the ssri's but that gave me no help at all. Now that I'm on the pain meds I don't want to screw that up by using meds that are not prescribed. The roxi's help with my moods so but if something new came out I'd give it a go. Of course there's electric shock therapy and a lobotomy but I'm in no hurry.

A bunch of stale clinical panty wastes trying to make chemical lobotomizes with no positive vibes. They want robot slaves that will hold a 9-5 and not talk back.

Amen. They are far more worried about repeat business than any viable treatment.

Also, it feels like they won’t take a stand against the DEA to say that some of the best treatments are indeed scheduled drugs...

All of this drug research is heavily going in vain... There are tons of cheap and readily easily made drugs that do tons better.

I think agonist/antagonist opioids are the way to go for coping with depression... regardless of which one... for example. So are some very mild stimulants.

Most of these are indeed chronic lifelong illnesses... Why not give people temporary fixes that “work” instead of crippling drugs that do very little for very little...

All of this drug research is heavily going in vain... There are tons of cheap and readily easily made drugs that do tons better.

The truer this statement is, the more sense it makes for pharmaceutical companies to lobby against the easing of drug laws. I recently found out that they do this through ALEC, which is pretty much the contemporary embodiment of unmitigated evil.

Not enough has been written about the interplay between ALEC and the War on Drugs. A quick google search leads me to this recent blog post:

http://masrizone.blogspot.com/2013/08/alec-profiteers-in-war-on-drugs.html

But this does not focus on the involvement of the pharmaceutical companies, despite the fact that several pharma CEOs sit on ALEC's advisory board. There's probably a great article yet to be written about this.

big pharma and shrinks just want repeat biz. There is no repeat biz in cures...however, there is lots and lots of money in treatment. And if the tards at dea and nida would let small pharma companies expiriment and research on scheduled drugs that could have potentially positive life changing value things could change for the better....if only. Im not thrilled about being on xanax tbh, but the shit just works so damn well, it sucks.

I disagree with a lot of what's been posted here. Some scheduled drugs often do work better than any psychiatric medicines, yes, but it's really only with pain treatment that companies are allowed to put out schedule 1 comparable drugs. I'm not sure a pharmacological "cure" exists for psychological issues, so the fact that drugs must be used in an ongoing way doesn't seem like a relevant criticism of psychiatry. I also think both psychiatrists and companies would like to have more effective drugs, if only to be able to have an edge over competitors. The fact is drugs are tools with very broad action used for addressing psychological problems that involve specific regions of the brain, or the problems that involve subtle mis-orchestration of multiple areas of the brain together, and that translates to lots of unwanted side-effects. Finding psychiatric drugs that have different mechanisms of action than those already approved, are effective, have a low propensity to cause abuse, and have limited unwanted side-effects may simply be too expensive to do properly at this point (or may be fundamentally implausible for psychiatric uses given the blunt action of drugs). Consider the effectiveness of ketamine for treating depression. Any NMDA antagonist developed as a medication will be abusable because NMDA antagonism feels good. Since drugs act so broadly the best you can often do to use them to address people who feel vaguely bad is to give them a drug that feels vaguely good ... but you can't do that.

They aren’t trying to find a cure.

They are just making better band-aides...

Thorazine is like the original band-aide, and abilify is the band-aides with the ridges to let wounds breathe...

They both do their job very effectively, but they both stick, rip scabs and can re-open wounds if left on too long...

Just like the antipsychotics... They both are good at stopping mania, but do not improve catatonia... They are good at stopping grand delusions, but increase social awkwardness in a person... The disease gets worse and worse in withdrawal the longer they are on them.

Same for SSRI's

It almost seems that it is more along the line of keeping you “in-line” compared to “normal” people...

Now, with SSRI’s... The main census says they just don’t work for majority of people... It’s been proven over and over... Yet, they are still following the whole serotonin re-uptake bandwagon till the wheels presumably fall off...

Last edited:
Abusability should not be a barrier separating people from effective medicines. People can be taught not to abuse their meds. People can even teach themselves (I did).

Maybe if somebody continually and incorrigably abuses their potions, then they need a break from them. But one fucking marijuana positive is all it takes for some doctors to yank the prescription pad! That's inhumane.

Maybe if they go ahead and criminalize the production, sale, and possession of anti-depressants, anxiolytics and anti-psychotics the black market will do a better job at churning them out, and then all they have to do is ban the ones they like and take them for themselves? 8)

We
can do this.

I disagree with a lot of what's been posted here. Some scheduled drugs often do work better than any psychiatric medicines, yes, but it's really only with pain treatment that companies are allowed to put out schedule 1 comparable drugs. I'm not sure a pharmacological "cure" exists for psychological issues, so the fact that drugs must be used in an ongoing way doesn't seem like a relevant criticism of psychiatry. I also think both psychiatrists and companies would like to have more effective drugs, if only to be able to have an edge over competitors. The fact is drugs are tools with very broad action used for addressing psychological problems that involve specific regions of the brain, or the problems that involve subtle mis-orchestration of multiple areas of the brain together, and that translates to lots of unwanted side-effects. Finding psychiatric drugs that have different mechanisms of action than those already approved, are effective, have a low propensity to cause abuse, and have limited unwanted side-effects may simply be too expensive to do properly at this point (or may be fundamentally implausible for psychiatric uses given the blunt action of drugs). Consider the effectiveness of ketamine for treating depression. Any NMDA antagonist developed as a medication will be abusable because NMDA antagonism feels good. Since drugs act so broadly the best you can often do to use them to address people who feel vaguely bad is to give them a drug that feels vaguely good ... but you can't do that.

It all goes back to the puritan ethic that feeling good must be bad or sinful. Ketamine is a wonder drug for depression squandered because it feels good. Its a good thing chemo therapy doesnt feel good or we would outlaw cancer treatment.

^I agree. I think the largest hurtle to popular acceptance of drugs and greater human happiness is progressing past the belief that feeling joy without suffering for it through work and sacrifice is somehow shameful or disgusting. I think it originated long ago as a psychological rationalization for a meager existence, has served to keep people unhappy and focused on holy deliverance in the "next" life, and has also functioned to bolster the productivity, and thus the power, of the Western religious establishment. Granted, living a shiftless, undisciplined life of hedonistic indulgence does not result in personal or social well being, but there does exist a happy middle and its time is due.

Last edited:
Psychedelic Jay said:
The docs are convinced I need Seroquel. On Seroquel I feel like I would just love to kill myself if I only had the energy and motivation.

Somehow nobody ever recognized that maybe H1 should be considered an antitarget, considering that basically every single medication that antagonizes H1 produces intolerable sedation, weight gain, SSE, dizziness etc. But no, let's just keep making antihistamines, they shut people up, and it's "convenient" that you can take them before bedtime.

With rare exceptions, it is hard to think of a single truly novel psychotropic drug that has emerged in the last 30 years. True, the new psychotropic drugs are generally safer and more tolerable than older prototypes, but they are no more effective. So why has the pharmaceutical industry churned out so many copycat drugs?

Except this one, but it comes from the scary evil plant of doom so you're not allowed to study it without special royal permission.

Leweke et al. performed a double blind, 4 week, explorative controlled clinical trial to compare the effects of purified cannabidiol and the atypical antipsychotic amisulpride on improving the symptoms of schizophrenia in 42 patients with acute paranoid schizophrenia. Both treatments were associated with a significant decrease of psychotic symptoms after 2 and 4 weeks as assessed by Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale and Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale. While there was no statistical difference between the two treatment groups, cannabidiol induced significantly fewer side effects (extrapyramidal symptoms, increase in prolactin, weight gain) when compared to amisulpride.

If this were literally any other compound in the world there would have been thirty follow-ups by now. But you can't study cannabidiol without a Schedule I license from the DEA and some way of convincing the government that you give a shit about the drug war.

Last edited: