• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

8 months sober now

TheDude8D

Greenlighter
Hey guys, just wanted to post how things are going here. According to my psychologist I deal with an anxiety disorder and psychosis. Apparently the chronic psychosis was caused either the concussions I sustained during football or the 3 years of drug abuse, both of which were completely avoidable but that's just my luck haha. I quit doing all drugs a year ago when I ended up in the hospital for suicidal ideation, but even then I couldn't kick my drinking habit. 8 months ago I took my prescribed xanax, forgot that I took it, drank a bottle of vodka and ended up in a very bad car crash. Thankfully I didn't hurt anyone else and while I did smash a vertebrae and completely break my nose into pieces, I can still walk and talk. The crash was the best thing that ever happened to me, looking back, as it got me sober and gave me an appreciation for life. I am now on a anti psychotic medication which mostly handles the psychosis and I don't use drugs or alcohol as a crutch anymore. I am currently on my path to get (hopefully) a PHD in psychology so I can help other people handle the harder parts of life.

Sorry for this being all over the place, I really just wanted to let anyone reading this know that when things seem to be at their worst, there is always hope. Life is so beautiful if you take the time to look at it, and I am happier now sober than I ever have been in my life. If things are going good for you then great, I will celebrate with you, and if things aren't going so good now just know that things truly get better. I always thought when someone said that things always get better they were just an optimistic asshole, but now I really know what they are talking about. Stay strong and hope you have a good day!

TLDR: Getting sober is hard and may take what seems like forever, but in the end if it's something you want to do, it's SO worth it!

yesssssssssss!!!!!! Hair on my arm is standing up TheDude8D! Thank you for sharing.

Thank y'all for the well wishes. I also wanted to say that I've just spent the last couple hours reading through recovery stories on this forum and my heart is so full! We can totally do this! Sobriety is a completely doable thing, and I am just so happy that a place like this exists for people to come together to do a very hard thing!

Great!
I am half way there as it is a bit over four months for me now.

Hey Dude, congratulations on your 8 months, and thanks so much for sharing your story. Recovery is a long, hard road with a lot of potential twists and turns along the way, and it always comforts me to hear from others who are succeeding.

Some days, weeks and occasionally months I do well, but sometimes I succumb to pitfalls. The important thing to me is that I *never* stop trying.

Peace, Love and Faith,
Dreamflyer

Getting sober is hard and may take what seems like forever, but in the end if it's something you want to do, it's SO worth it!
Thanks for sharing your story. You are so right about getting sober being hard - but SO worth it. I'm in the post acute withdrawals category and your story makes me feel even more motivated.

Congratulations on 8 months ;) That is a big deal you know,
Dale

Way to go! I am glad you're doing so well, I myself am 24 hrs in, wish me luck!
Ashley.

Thank y'all for the well wishes. I also wanted to say that I've just spent the last couple hours reading through recovery stories on this forum and my heart is so full! We can totally do this! Sobriety is a completely doable thing, and I am just so happy that a place like this exists for people to come together to do a very hard thing!