• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

5htp Question

Talu

Greenlighter
Just thought I would post here as I figure there would be some of the more knowledgable people within this forum area.....

Does anyone know if 5htp is safe while breastfeeding?

I cannot find any research on this.

Q. I'm wondering if it's safe to take htp5 while pregnant? Please help me out, i'm having a really hard time finding out the answer to that question of 5htp and pregnancy.

A. The reason you are having problems finding information in this area is because the role of 5htp supplements in pregnancy has not been studied, so we really don't know the safety of 5htp in women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. We think it would be best not to use 5htp during pregnancy unless your doctor approves and thinks other alternatives are not safe.

Q. I am considering taking 5HTP, but am a breastfeeding mother and am wondering about the safety of this supplement for lactating women. Unfortunately, Dr. Sahelian does not address this in his book on 5HTP.

A. The reason the connection between 5htp and breastfeeding or 5htp and pregnancy is not addressed is because we have not been able to find human research in this area, hence it is difficult to give an opinion.

I personally would suggest, discontinuing 5htp through this period, and to talk to your doctor/professional. If you can't contact your doctor, or whatever it may be, it would be best to discontinue the 5htp as there is little/no information on possible adverse effects.

I hope this helps!

Thanks that does confirm what i thought the case was.... however the naturopath i have been seeing had told me it was safe to take but i wanted actual research proving this was the case, and my gp didnt even know what 5htp was.

I stopped taking it before becoming pregnant and througout the pregnancy and now breastfeeding.... but my anxiety is becoming harder to manage and id really like to avoid taking ssri's.

Its a shame there arent really any other natural things i can try either, and i hate the thought of putting any medication in to my body which will go through the breast milk... i dont even take panadol unless im in a lot of pain.

^Um...natural try Kava...sorry i'mim not sober. PM if your inferested, I can tell you want I know sober!

Goodnight,L

i've heard of that but not sure if it was safe while BF and also does it work in the same way as 5htp? (affecting serotonin?)

5-HTP's gonna be safer than SSRI's, IMO.

No, don't use Kava. It's a sedative. Nothing at all like 5-HTP. Kava has kavalactones in it which have muscle relaxant, anaesthetic, anticonvulsive and anxiolytic effects. It's effects are created through it's interaction with voltage-gated ion channels.

Difficult situation.

Yeah i dont really need to relax or sedation... just something to lessen my anxiety and help to deal with stress. Am already taking vitamins and magnesium helps with muscle tension.

There are a few ssri's that gps claim are safe during breastfeeding but i really find it hard to believe that such serious drugs can not have a significant effect on the baby.

I was under the impression that 5htp was a more concentrated version of what is found in potatoes, bananas, turkey etc, so i would wonder if it would be levels that may have an adverse affect on the baby if transferred through breastfeeding?

*NOT A MEDICAL DOCTOR*
I would whole-heartedly recommend 5-HTP over SSRIs. It is a natural substance that is metabolized to another natural substance found all over the human body. I'm sure many mothers have elevated serotonin levels naturally and I would bet my childs life on this before relatively new compounds which have been known to do a number on the psyches of adults taking them.
If you are really concerned, which you are and should be, start taking the lowest doses you can muster (I assume the 5HTp comes in a capsule with some filler material and by muster I mean reasonably eyeball ie, quarter capsule, 1/8th capsule, etc.) and work your way up slowly until you find the lowest dose that has the results you seek.
You may also want to consider aerobic exercise like swimming, biking or running for anxiety/stress.
Good luck and congrats :)

I can't point you to any research, as I'm pretty sure this hasn't been studied, but considering that milk already contains high levels of tryptophan, I don't really think that supplementing with 5-HTP will alter things that much. In any case, it's definitely better than SSRIs.

Thanks for the tip on exercising, i do take my bub out walking every day and make sure to get sunlight which helps, but my anxiety is coming from therapy im having for post traumatic stress and anxiety and so far ive done ok without meds... personally ssri's have had some pretty bad effects on me in the past and i want to avoid that road. Ive taken 5htp for about a year in the past after coming off ssri's which helped a lot.

I wonder why no one is researching this? (ok i guess because its in the pharmaceutical companies interests to keep people medicated huh?)

5-HT2 said:
I can't point you to any research, as I'm pretty sure this hasn't been studied, but considering that milk already contains high levels of tryptophan, I don't really think that supplementing with 5-HTP will alter things that much. In any case, it's definitely better than SSRIs.

Do you mean cows milk?