• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc 5HTP/alcohol sensitive/panic attacks?

scorpion91

Greenlighter
I've been taking 5HP(50-100mg) since mid June of this year. I've taken it every day. If I had taken 50mg it would've been 2x or 3x a day or 100mg just 1x. I take this for chronic anxiety.

Lately, I've notice some weird alcohol sensitive issues I've been getting. Last Thursday, I went to my main dive patio bar I would chill at that's near my campus apartment. I ordered a draft beer and proceeded to take my first sips, and I had some weird feelings. I had some strong palpitations(to me, it felt above 150-200bps), lightheaded/heaviness, brief shortness of breath(lasted 1/2-2 seconds), feeling like my blood pressure fluctuated. I got the fuck out of there and closed my tab. It's summer and I'm from Texas, I assumed maybe it was the heat, so I had went back to my apprtment and rested. I ordered a pizza and chilled, so I went back to the bar about 1 1/2- 2 hours later but the same thing happen.

I went to another bar on Friday the same thing happen then Saturday. I have thought these feelings I've been getting are some strong anxiety issues. Because I've been getting anxiety/panic issues whenever I'm in a large environment(dinning hall, large field...etc). I'm unsure if the outdoor bar patio plus with the alcohol had triggered a panic attack. I've taken 5HTP and waited 6+ hours and drank at night, and hardly had problems with drinking last Fall. I did have some palpitations and drank last Fall but they had settled out and I had drank 4-6 beers during the weekend last Fall.

I had stopped taking 5htp in January and dealt with my anxiety on my own. I did smoke weed in the Spring semester(January-May 9, 2015) with my bros. Different strains I reacted differently with respect to my anxiety. I did crossfade with alcohol at times, but I didn't have much major panic attacks.

I began to have "bad panic attacks"(palpitations, neck spasm, lightheaded, blood flow feeling) in April but they kept happening when I was eating at the dining hall or some random instances(like class or something). They were off and on. If and when I did drink when I had the panic attacks sensations, the palpitations would come and then go when I drank water. When I drank, I felt the buzz and some palpitations but no full blown major panic/anxiety attacks like I'm getting now. I had drank either Thursday-Friday or Friday-Saturday in the Spring but I didn't go past 5-6 drinks on a night.

I had went out to my patio bar tonight, I got a sample of some Blue Moon and I took a few sips and I felt some panic/anxiety but the level wasn't as bad as last week as I recall. I didn't finish the sample of Blue Moon because I felt a dizzy and some odd sensations like my blood pressure was jumping up and down a bit and some palpitation feeling. However, when I was at the bar, it was crowded and there was lots of people and a DJ jamming to tunes and I did feel some anxiety before I drank. I'm not sure if the loud environment plus the alcohol had triggered a panic attack.

Though, I'm unsure if the 5HTP is causing me to hypersensitive or sensitive to alcohol because I'm unsure why I've been hypersensitive alcohol all of the sudden. The last times I drank(late May and July 18) I did have some palpitations and some mild anxiety attack but I was able to drink more than just the small sips of beer that I can barely get now.

When I do take the 5HTP, I've taken it during the morning(7am-9am). However, I took my 5HTP last night at 12am. I did exercise this morning and I ran 30-40 minutes around the perimeter of my college. I've been working out most of the week, and I do feel some anxiety going down. I've given myself at least 6hr to wait before I drink, so I'm unsure if the 5HTP is causing the alcohol sensitivity/anxiety attacks or what.

Any of you guys here on bluelight could suggest or provide advice to me, because it sort of sucks that I can't drink one damn beer at my favorite patio bar? I mean, I go there to chill and try to meet some good looking girls and it's embrassing that I got to bail out early because of these anxiety/panic issues. Could these issues be from the 5HTP or maybe just hypersensitive to loud noise in general?