• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

5HT2c receprors and their role in psychedelic compounds visual potency/action

T9358

Bluelighter
As i look at various tryptamines and psych phenyls i noice a trend of -5HT2a/5HT2c/5HT2b agonism among others, i wanted to clarify a few things i have read on wiki and other first hand expiriences.

1st. i take tramadol almost every day and have been for years +5 @ 400mg a day, i know that tram is a 5HT2c ntagonist- what role would a antagonist atthis receptor play i a compound like 4-ho-dmt/aco. it seems if ive lost the extream wavy visuals and am left with ''other types of visual phenomena,
keep in mind wiki states that too much 5-HT2c antagonism causes down -reg of receptors and somewhow causes down-reg of 2A as well, am i screwing my psychs up?

i usualy am accustomed to : p. cubensis,4aco-dmt,4-ho-det,4-ho-dpt,dmt,6-apb, 2c-e, although tramado is only combined with the tryptamines. is there any ong term tram use or for that matter 5 HT 2c antagonist that will take away from a tryptamine expirience- mainly the visuals? thanks

The textbooks will tell you that 5ht2a receptor activation is all that is needed to produce psychedelic effects, but in actuality all 3 subtypes of 5ht2r are likely responsible for facets of the experience.

5ht2a and 2c actually share a high degree of similarity and ligands for one receptor usually bind to the other with moderate affinity. I'd expect blocking 5ht2c would do exactly what you observed - reduce certain effects of psychedelics. Of course, exactly which effects will be reduced are up for debate, and probably variable between substances and individual people.

If you want to get the maximum effects out of serotonergic drugs, don't take other drugs that block serotonin receptors.

Aren't some of the side effects eg anxiety associated with many psychedelics due to the 5-HT2C receptor? I imagine taking a selective antagonist for it might improve some trips.

I would express a similar sentiment about the 5-HT3 receptors too.

And if Lorcaserins activity is anything to go by, 2C also causes the decrease in appetite associated with psychedelics.

5ht2c antagonism leads to increased dopamine/norepinepherine in various regions. See..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16433010/

Ap action if agonized

^^^^ ive seen articles on this and its supposed effects on depression^^. I am curious now if i were to not take tram for a few days if there would be any increase in effects- as in --would long term use of a antagonist down-regulate the 5ht2c receptor or its density??
ive also heard of people using melatonin as 5-ht2b anatagonist to lower agonism from psychs-off topic.

As i look at various tryptamines and psych phenyls i noice a trend of -5HT2a/5HT2c/5HT2b agonism among others, i wanted to clarify a few things i have read on wiki and other first hand expiriences.

1st. i take tramadol almost every day and have been for years +5 @ 400mg a day, i know that tram is a 5HT2c ntagonist- what role would a antagonist atthis receptor play i a compound like 4-ho-dmt/aco. it seems if ive lost the extream wavy visuals and am left with ''other types of visual phenomena,
keep in mind wiki states that too much 5-HT2c antagonism causes down -reg of receptors and somewhow causes down-reg of 2A as well, am i screwing my psychs up?

i usualy am accustomed to : p. cubensis,4aco-dmt,4-ho-det,4-ho-dpt,dmt,6-apb, 2c-e, although tramado is only combined with the tryptamines. is there any ong term tram use or for that matter 5 HT 2c antagonist that will take away from a tryptamine expirience- mainly the visuals? thanks

Y'all might find this interesting: (+)Lysergic acid diethylamide, but not its nonhallucinogenic congeners, is a potent serotonin 5HT1C receptor agonist. (5-HT1C is the old name for 5-HT2C)

The authors suggest lisuride doesn't produce psychedelic effects due to the lack of 5-HT2C agonism (in contrast to LSD).