• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

2013 Oscar Ceremony Discussion

MrGrunge

Bluelighter
We all know the Oscars are complete bullshit, but they are good at generating discussion about why they're complete bullshit, so post all your Oscar snubs, flubs, and critiques of Seth McFarlene's jokes about domestic violence!

Also did you guys see Jennifer Lawrence trip?????? OMG

Last edited:
Macfarlene was pretty funny but his songs at the beginning got really old and were annoying.

thoroughly disappointed this year. mcfarlane was lame. speeches were all just lists of names. i really enjoyed seeing tarantino receive his second oscar. i also really enjoyed jennifer lawrence's responses to the press questions afterwards.

alasdair

There's so much material trailing behind, in front and around the legs of so many of the actresses. I'm surprised half of them don't fall on their faces.
I thought she handled it really well. She kinda caught herself, then made a joke about it. I think she's really fucking cool, talented.
Alternatively, I'd like to punch Bradley Cooper in the face. For no discernible reason beyond jealousy, I suppose.

Speaking of face punches.... I'm not sure there's a more punchable face than Seth McFarlane's.
The whole swing band, Frank Sinatra shit. I think we all would have been better off if he'd just concentrated on his occasionally funny cartoons.

Last edited:
anne-hathaway-wardrobe-malfunction.jpg

/thread

I think it was a good year for movies and many of the best picture nominees deserve recognition.

I really enjoyed Argo, Life of Pi, Skyfall, Silver Linings Playbook, Zero Dark Thirty and Django Unchained.

I was also happy to see Tarantino get another Oscar, the guy is one of the best screenwriters/directors ever. This years Bond movie was really head and shoulders above any other Bond movie in my lifetime IMO. Life of Pi and Silver Linings Playbook were both really touching stories. Jennifer Lawrence is fucking adorable.

I found Argo to be completely mediocre. Every scene was punctuated by a popular 70s song, dialogue constantly overlapping and done in shot-reverse-shot, no real characterization (most of the characters seemed like mindless, quippy stereotypes), and more than anything, it felt like another Red White and Blue wankfest (a la Zero Dark Thirty and Lincoln). Of the Best Picture nominations Beasts of the Southern Wild was, imo, head and shoulders above the competition (although I have not seen Amour) - a bit sappy at times, but with wonderful directing and a truly touching story.

Most of all, I feel The Master got fucked over. God forbid a film with a little originality (and a lot of brilliance) win an Oscar.

^yes. argo was paint by numbers directing. adequate, only.

the only award i cared about was best actress. she really did a fucking crazy good job in les mis.

^ Supporting Actress? Jennifer Lawrence won Best Actress for Silver Linings Playbook, which was a much better movie than the RomCom-esque trailers led me to believe.

aint seen it yet. plan to. heard good things.

i was simply broken by hathaway's major solo in les mis. hairs were on end. tears were on the brink. seriously powerful.

Yes, she her cartoonish face definitely deserved it for Les Miz.

I found Argo to be completely mediocre. Every scene was punctuated by a popular 70s song, dialogue constantly overlapping and done in shot-reverse-shot, no real characterization (most of the characters seemed like mindless, quippy stereotypes), and more than anything, it felt like another Red White and Blue wankfest (a la Zero Dark Thirty and Lincoln). Of the Best Picture nominations Beasts of the Southern Wild was, imo, head and shoulders above the competition (although I have not seen Amour) - a bit sappy at times, but with wonderful directing and a truly touching story.

Most of all, I feel The Master got fucked over. God forbid a film with a little originality (and a lot of brilliance) win an Oscar.

I totally agree. Argo is WAAAYYYY overrated.