Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

2,6-Dibromomescaline - Bioassay - Brominated Blandness

Psychestim

Bluelighter
The following post is an extensive overview of the psychedelic drug 2,6-Dibromomescaline. This post is very thorough and features a collection of trip-reports and plenty of other information. Because of this, there are some repetitive and redundant observations. If that bothers you, just skip to the conclusion at the bottom.

Preface:

2,6-Dibromomescaline (2,6-DBM / DBM) is a novel mescaline analog with two bromo-groups occupying the 2- and 6-position on the phenyl-ring, which are two relatively obscure positions for halogen-substitutions on phenethylamines. I‘ve been extremely curious how these would alter the subjective effects of classic mescaline, which is one of my absolute favorite psychedelics.
To my knowledge, DBM has never seen a mainstream market, nor has it ever been publicly sold before. Dibromomescaline is not a new molecule, as a matter of fact, DBM was the first synthetically made aryl-substituted mescaline analog that was ever described by Arthur Heffter in 1901, the first person known to isolate mescaline from lophophora williamsii. I suppose the lack of availability can be attributed to the illegality of mescaline, which is the direct precursor for it, and spoiler alert, the relatively boring effects.

Dr. David Nichols has done some pharmacological work on monohalogenated and dihalogenated mescaline analogs (incl. 2,6-dibromomescaline) and characterized their receptor affinities. The affinity trends are comparable to the 2C-X (X = halogen) compounds, meaning 2-iodomescaline has higher affinities than bromomescaline, and so on. Interestingly, the dihalogenated compounds have even stronger affinities at the 5HT2A receptor than the monohalogenated versions, which, again spoiler alert, doesn‘t correlate with the human doses. Myself and a few select others have already sampled the monobromo variant, and from our experience, 2-bromomescaline is approximately 2-3x more potent than dibromomescaline and ~5-6x more potent than mescaline. Also worth noting is that these halogenated mescaline analogs have appreciable affinities at the 5HT1A receptor which is unusual for PEA‘s and usually reserved to indole psychedelics.

I‘m sorry in advance that the following reports aren‘t as exciting to read as I hoped they would be. I was hesitant to even release them but as there is so little information on this one, I felt obliged to put them out there regardless. I will not continue releasing full dose titrations in the future though and will try to stick to a more minimalistic reporting style.

—————————————————————————

Background information:

- sex: male
- weight: 78 kg
- setting: At home, with my girlfriend
- set: It‘s been a productive day and I’ve been in a decent mood throughout but when I returned from my run I got a bit moody, perhaps I overexerted myself. Anyway, this feeling persisted up until I ate the DBM.
- tolerance: I had a little psychedelic binge at the end of last month where I used LSD, 2C-B, DOC and MDMA over a span of a week. It’s been three weeks since then so I think I should be good.

This batch was analyzed by a renowned testing-facility which used MALDI-HRMS to qualitatively verify the authenticity of this beautiful, off-white crystalline powder. The first analysis through LC-MS/MS and LC-UV was a little inconclusive, which is why they opted for the more precise mass spectrometer.
No other components besides 2,6-dibromomescaline were detected in my sample, but no quantitative analysis was performed.
My DBM was prepared as the hydrobromide salt which has a molar mass of 449.96 g/mol. This makes it around 9.9% less potent than the HCl salt (405.51 g/mol).
My 1mg, 5mg, 10mg and 20mg DBM HBr trials were all without effects, which is why I felt comfortable doubling my dose.

I‘m feeling pretty refreshed today because I slept quite nicely. I took a capsule of an old pharmaceutical preparation yesterday called Limbitrol, which contains 12.5mg Amitriptyline and 5mg Chlordiazepoxide.
At T:-04:30 I went for a run and at T:-03:00 I ate a large pizza.

2,6-Dibromomescaline hydrobromide (40mg, oral) / 5th trial (20/10/22):

T:00:00:
It’s 07:00 PM, I dump 40mg of the HBr salt (= ~36.4mg DBM HCl) in my mouth and wash it down with some water. The taste is not as bad as my mescaline hydrosulfate but that may very well be due to the sheer volume of mesc powder one has to consume.
My mouth is tingly and somewhat minty, drinking water feels and tastes different. Fresher somehow. Swallowing is weird too, like there‘s a lump in my throat. I have gotten a similar effect from insufflating cocaine that was cut with lactose.

T:00:19: (±)
Some awareness?

T:00:44: (±)
I‘m feeling calm and collected, but I‘m listening to meditation music so that‘s not surprising. Swallowing returns to how it normally feels. Intensity level remained the same for the last half hour. I’m not feeling much, this could very well be placebo. I‘m yawning a lot.

T:01:35: (±)
I‘m very tired and nearly fall asleep. My head feels a bit heavy and there‘s a warm glow in my "third eye". Slight euphoria? I‘m pretty certain this is a threshold dose. There are no bodily effects whatsoever, and no noticeable visual effects. This is all a bit vague.

T:02:08: (±)
Apple with cinnamon powder is delicious. It’s the little things that make me happy. The warmth between my eyes is slowly dissipating but I’m very relaxed and content.

T:03:00: (±)
Brush my teeth and fall asleep within minutes.

Background information:

- -//- (see above)
- setting: in my apartment
- set: I’m good, it’s been a productive day and I’m looking forward to reach full activity with this compound.
- tolerance: I don’t think my last trial at 40mg will have a significant impact on this trip.

No other substances were consumed that day besides my daily dose of caffeine, which has long worn off. I ate a medium-sized meal four hours before taking the DBM.

2,6-Dibromomescaline hydrobromide (60mg, oral) / 6th trial (25/10/22):

Swallow a capsule containing 60mg of DBM HBr (= ~54.1mg DBM HCl).

T:00:23: (±)
First alerts. There’s the classic tingling sensations in my head, which I usually get when psychedelics start working. Seems that my last trial wasn’t a false positive.

T:00:38: (+)
I’m cold and there are goosebumps all over my body. My stomach seems full even though I haven’t eaten in hours, probably the bodyload manifesting. No visual effects so far.

T:01:10: (+)
Effects stayed the same for the most part, but a slight color saturation made itself present. There’s no other open eye or closed eye visuals though, which is a little surprising considering there’s an Erowid report which reports high visual activity at 50mg of the HCl.
Like last time, I have to yawn repeatedly.
There isn’t much to say, I am basically just surfing on my computer. Had a short phone-call with my father and my communication was in no way different than usual.
Current resting HR - 73 bpm

T:02:30: (+)
No stimulation, no bodyload, no nothing. Peripheral effects are basically non-existent. Psychoactive effects didn’t grow in intensity either, this level of intoxication is easily ignorable. I might be slightly more emotionally vulnerable, the acoustic version of ‘Snuff’ by Corey Taylor nearly made me cry.

T:04:00: (±)
Effects have dissipated for the most part. I expected to be tired but I’m in a quite social mood, I think I’m gonna go out and meet my friends for drinks.

Background information:

- -//- (see above)
- setting: alone, in my apartment
- set: I’m feeling well, it’s a nice Sunday afternoon
- tolerance: none

I had an espresso and a decently sized breakfast in the morning, but it’s been about four hours since then, so my stomach feels empty. I had a spoonful of magnesium glycinate (~2.5g) 15 minutes prior to dosing.

2,6-Dibromomescaline hydrobromide (80mg, oral) / 7th trial (13/11/22):

Hard capsule containing 80mg DBM HBr (= ~72.1mg DBM HCl) ingested with water.
Taking a shower while waiting for the effects.

T:00:27: (±)
I can feel something in my stomach.

T:00:51: (+)
A friend of mine who tried a low dose of a different batch of DBM before me noted a "chrome-like aura" around objects and I must concur. No tracers, morphing, drifting, or any other typical visual hallucinations but most surfaces around me appear shiny.

T:01:15: (+)
I can feel a certain heaviness in my stomach and the bodyload is making itself present. At this point it’s milder than a moderate dose of 2C-B. I’m listening to aggressive music, and I can feel the anger and despair behind the lyrics. I‘m not too altered yet, so I don‘t mind the negativity. Usually this is not something I would listen to while tripping.

T:01:32: (++)
I’m cold and the colors are now standing out much more. My mind is still clear, and I have to yawn a lot. Everything still looks very bright and clean, almost clinically clean. The white couch table is so shiny it reflects the light. The CEV’s are mild but there. I am now listening to other hectic music and I’m literally seeing stars and flickering lights with my eyes closed. I am experiencing a very typical hallucination for me and that is the gliding into a seemingly endless tube where the surfaces are made from varying geometric patterns. This goes on for a while and then it shifts to darkness when all of a sudden dozens of hexagon pairs appear in multiple rows and start moving in opposed directions from side to side. They basically look like bicyclohexyl molecules arranged next and on top of each other. I have never noticed these patterns before, they’re still somewhat simple compared to other psychedelics with eye-candy CEV’s like DOM or mescaline. Looking forward to exploring these in higher doses though, perhaps they’ll become more interesting.
Emotionally I feel quite neutral, there’s no notable euphoria nor is there any dysphoria. Reminds me a bit of the emotional flatness of TMA, however I’m still unsure whether I dosed it too low back then, or if the blandness was a one-off phenomenon.
Anyway, my girlfriend just came home and she’s getting on my nerves a bit. I can immediately feel the bodyload intensifying. She reads out loud something horrible from the news and I tell her to be more considerate with what she’s saying. She apologizes but I’m still annoyed. A classic example of emotional vulnerability, I guess I was wrong about it not having any influence on my emotions. I’m heating a cherry pit pillow and put it on my stomach which calms me down.

T:02:02: (++)
I have to say the CEV’s are the best part about this experience. Everything else has been a bit lackluster so far. There’s no euphoria, no music enhancement, no aphrodisiac qualities nor is there any overappreciation of little things.
We’ll see if higher doses change that, as of now I find it mediocre.

T:02:17: (++)
A light warmth is shining through my chest, which feels nice. My heartrate seems to be a bit slower than usual and there are no signs of toxicity at this dose. There’s no stimulation and no notable vasoconstriction, the magnesium glycinate most likely helped with that.
I’m currently eating what seems to be the smallest fucking tangerine on the planet. I love citrus fruits on psychedelics.

T:02:52: (++)
The effects are winding down. Bodyload is disappearing and the visuals are turning down a notch. I’m feeling a little bit bloated. This could turn into gassiness, which is nothing out of the ordinary for PEA’s.

T:03:30: (+)

T:06:00: (-)
The DBM has worn off over the last hour, but I smoked a tiny bit of cannabis which was extremely euphoric. Had two incredible fits of laughter with lots of tears and breathing problems. Good stuff.

The day after:

T:18:00:
Slept nicely. Emotionally I feel great but I’m a bit hazy because of the weed I smoked yesterday. I will skip studying today but maybe I’ll do a cardio workout to get rid of the fatigue.

Background information:

- -//- (see above)
- setting: at home, alone
- set: I had an exam today which I did well on so I‘m feeling uplifted and happy.

2,6-Dibromomescaline hydrobromide (100mg, oral) / 7th trial (27/03/23):

Dissolve 100.4mg (= ~90.5mg DBM HCl) in hot water and down the solution.

T:00:08:
My lips are tingly and there‘s this minty taste again. My throat is closing up a little, I also got this feeling in previous trials but it‘s been months since I last had dibromomescaline.

T:00:26: (+)
I‘m getting tired. Mescaline does that too, but now the feeling is a little stronger. Things are picking up fast, even though I ate a meal an hour ago. 2,6-DBM has a much faster onset than mescaline, but it also hits faster than 2-bromomescaline.

T:00:49: (++)
It‘s coming on strong, I am sluggish and don‘t want to move. I have a heating pad on my stomach and it‘s very comforting, I can‘t feel any negative bodily effects. I did a work-out a couple of hours ago and drank some magnesium which are both helpful in countering vasoconstriction. Visually there isn‘t much happening yet, but some warmth and euphoria seem to be creeping up in my skull.

T:01:07: (++)
I’m yawning so much. I also start noticing some simplistic OEV’s like enhanced visual acuity. I am kind of bored, hopefully this is getting somewhere. The dose definitely seems like it’s on the stronger side but so far it isn‘t really rewarding or pleasurable.

T:01:40: (++(+))
I have reached the peak, unfortunately it isn‘t a really exciting one. Somehow this compound manages to be clearly active and quite strong actually but being absent of any exciting effects. The first word that comes to mind is bland. The visual effects are very basic and mainly affect my peripheral vision. It can be a bit disorienting when doing something around my apartment but when I try to focus on one thing there really is nothing to look at.
I close my eyes and give the 2,6-DBM some time to shine but there is only very faint visual geometry. When I look at the bright screen of my laptop and then close my eyes I do notice some interesting patterns, but it‘s more like when you rub your eyes and then open them quickly, just reversed. My thought processes are unaltered, but I’m not exactly clearheaded. There’s this familiar pressure in my skull that I get from other phenethylamines, usually this manifests itself as euphoria but now it doesn‘t.

T:02:00: (++(+))
Yeah there isn‘t much more going on, I feel like repeating myself. The dose isn‘t the problem I think, it seems like this one isn’t really a winner. There is no depth or profundity about this psychedelic, nor is there much excitement or euphoria. The visuals are boring and this kind of feels like a waste of time. It’s great there finally is some actual human data on this novel mescaline analog but that’s about it.

T:02:25: (++)
Effects are dying down but it‘ll probably take a while until I‘m back at baseline.

T:04:00: (+)
I take a few hits of cannabis which brings back the visuals a bit and makes me confused.

T:05:30:
Going to bed.

The day after:

T:13:00:
Woke up with a headache but a cup of coffee, water, some breakfast, and acetaminophen took care of it. My mood is a little down, but I stayed up late and have some annoying obligations today so that makes sense.

Conclusion:

To cut to the chase, I don’t really see a point in exploring this one much further. I will probably take a considerably larger dose at some point just to make sure I’m not missing something but I‘m not in a hurry. If I do decide to take a higher dose and my opinion suddenly changes I will make sure to report back but for now I‘ll focus on exploring other compounds. The monobrominated analog for example is MUCH more promising and there will be a report coming out soon. Don‘t want to spoil too much but this one seems like real gem so far and on the same level as 2C-B or mescaline. Really curious to see how the other halogenated scaline‘s are gonna play out.
Anyway, I also wanted to address the one existing Erowid report on 2,6-DBM. My theory is that the person who wrote the Erowid report is either extremely sensitive to DBM or consumed a batch which contained a bunch of unreacted 2-bromomescaline which is at least twice as potent as 2,6-dibromomescaline. With 15mg of 2-BM HCl I was at a definite +, whereas with 2,6-DBM I needed 40mg of the HBr salt to hit the bare threshold and judging from my dose titration the strength increase of this substance is rather linear. The first batch I received was also a mix of DBM/BM and required further heating and reaction time for all the remaining spots on the aromatic ring to be fully brominated. What I also find quite interesting is that this person described 2,6-DBM as "exclusively visual" while I found it extremely lacking in the visual department even though I‘m normally very sensitive to visual hallucinations.
All in all, I would say you‘re not missing out on much in the case of 2,6-dibromomescaline.

Stay safe,
Psychestim

Last edited:
Thanks for reporting on this virtually unknown substance, and taking the time to provide a write-up. :) Shame it seems to be rather boring, but all knowledge is good knowledge, or at least, it is when it comes to further understanding psychedelics and how variations on a molecule affect the mind.

Did something happen where the font on trip reports got really small @Xorkoth

The following post is an extensive overview of the psychedelic drug 2,6-Dibromomescaline. This post is very thorough and features a collection of trip-reports and plenty of other information. Because of this, there are some repetitive and redundant observations. If that bothers you, just skip to the conclusion at the bottom.

Preface:

2,6-Dibromomescaline (2,6-DBM / DBM) is a novel mescaline analog with two bromo-groups occupying the 2- and 6-position on the phenyl-ring, which are two relatively obscure positions for halogen-substitutions on phenethylamines. I‘ve been extremely curious how these would alter the subjective effects of classic mescaline, which is one of my absolute favorite psychedelics.
To my knowledge, DBM has never seen a mainstream market, nor has it ever been publicly sold before. Dibromomescaline is not a new molecule, as a matter of fact, DBM was the first synthetically made aryl-substituted mescaline analog that was ever described by Arthur Heffter in 1901, the first person known to isolate mescaline from lophophora williamsii. I suppose the lack of availability can be attributed to the illegality of mescaline, which is the direct precursor for it, and spoiler alert, the relatively boring effects.

Dr. David Nichols has done some pharmacological work on monohalogenated and dihalogenated mescaline analogs (incl. 2,6-dibromomescaline) and characterized their receptor affinities. The affinity trends are comparable to the 2C-X (X = halogen) compounds, meaning 2-iodomescaline has higher affinities than bromomescaline, and so on. Interestingly, the dihalogenated compounds have even stronger affinities at the 5HT2A receptor than the monohalogenated versions, which, again spoiler alert, doesn‘t correlate with the human doses. Myself and a few select others have already sampled the monobromo variant, and from our experience, 2-bromomescaline is approximately 2-3x more potent than dibromomescaline and ~5-6x more potent than mescaline. Also worth noting is that these halogenated mescaline analogs have appreciable affinities at the 5HT1A receptor which is unusual for PEA‘s and usually reserved to indole psychedelics.

I‘m sorry in advance that the following reports aren‘t as exciting to read as I hoped they would be. I was hesitant to even release them but as there is so little information on this one, I felt obliged to put them out there regardless. I will not continue releasing full dose titrations in the future though and will try to stick to a more minimalistic reporting style.

Background information:

- sex: male
- weight: 78 kg
- setting: At home, with my girlfriend
- set: It‘s been a productive day and I’ve been in a decent mood throughout but when I returned from my run I got a bit moody, perhaps I overexerted myself. Anyway, this feeling persisted up until I ate the DBM.
- tolerance: I had a little psychedelic binge at the end of last month where I used LSD, 2C-B, DOC and MDMA over a span of a week. It’s been three weeks since then so I think I should be good.

This batch was analyzed by a renowned testing-facility which used MALDI-HRMS to qualitatively verify the authenticity of this beautiful, off-white crystalline powder. The first analysis through LC-MS/MS and LC-UV was a little inconclusive, which is why they opted for the more precise mass spectrometer.
No other components besides 2,6-dibromomescaline were detected in my sample, but no quantitative analysis was performed.
My DBM was prepared as the hydrobromide salt which has a molar mass of 449.96 g/mol. This makes it around 9.9% less potent than the HCl salt (405.51 g/mol).
My 1mg, 5mg, 10mg and 20mg DBM HBr trials were all without effects, which is why I felt comfortable doubling my dose.

I‘m feeling pretty refreshed today because I slept quite nicely. I took a capsule of an old pharmaceutical preparation yesterday called Limbitrol, which contains 12.5mg Amitriptyline and 5mg Chlordiazepoxide.
At T:-04:30 I went for a run and at T:-03:00 I ate a large pizza.

2,6-Dibromomescaline hydrobromide (40mg, oral) / 5th trial (20/10/22):

It’s 07:00 PM, I dump 40mg of the HBr salt (= ~36.4mg DBM HCl) in my mouth and wash it down with some water. The taste is not as bad as my mescaline hydrosulfate but that may very well be due to the sheer volume of mesc powder one has to consume.
My mouth is tingly and somewhat minty, drinking water feels and tastes different. Fresher somehow. Swallowing is weird too, like there‘s a lump in my throat. I have gotten a similar effect from insufflating cocaine that was cut with lactose.

T:00:19: (±)
Some awareness?

T:00:44: (±)
I‘m feeling calm and collected, but I‘m listening to meditation music so that‘s not surprising. Swallowing returns to how it normally feels. Intensity level remained the same for the last half hour. I’m not feeling much, this could very well be placebo. I‘m yawning a lot.

T:01:35: (±)
I‘m very tired and nearly fall asleep. My head feels a bit heavy and there‘s a warm glow in my "third eye". Slight euphoria? I‘m pretty certain this is a threshold dose. There are no bodily effects whatsoever, and no noticeable visual effects. This is all a bit vague.

T:02:08: (±)
Apple with cinnamon powder is delicious. It’s the little things that make me happy. The warmth between my eyes is slowly dissipating but I’m very relaxed and content.

T:03:00: (±)
Brush my teeth and fall asleep within minutes.

Background information:

- -//- (see above)
- setting: in my apartment
- set: I’m good, it’s been a productive day and I’m looking forward to reach full activity with this compound.
- tolerance: I don’t think my last trial at 40mg will have a significant impact on this trip.

No other substances were consumed that day besides my daily dose of caffeine, which has long worn off. I ate a medium-sized meal four hours before taking the DBM.

2,6-Dibromomescaline hydrobromide (60mg, oral) / 6th trial (25/10/22):

Swallow a capsule containing 60mg of DBM HBr (= ~54.1mg DBM HCl).

T:00:23: (±)
First alerts. There’s the classic tingling sensations in my head, which I usually get when psychedelics start working. Seems that my last trial wasn’t a false positive.

T:00:38: (+)
I’m cold and there are goosebumps all over my body. My stomach seems full even though I haven’t eaten in hours, probably the bodyload manifesting. No visual effects so far.

T:01:10: (+)
Effects stayed the same for the most part, but a slight color saturation made itself present. There’s no other open eye or closed eye visuals though, which is a little surprising considering there’s an Erowid report which reports high visual activity at 50mg of the HCl.
Like last time, I have to yawn repeatedly.
There isn’t much to say, I am basically just surfing on my computer. Had a short phone-call with my father and my communication was in no way different than usual.
Current resting HR - 73 bpm

T:02:30: (+)
No stimulation, no bodyload, no nothing. Peripheral effects are basically non-existent. Psychoactive effects didn’t grow in intensity either, this level of intoxication is easily ignorable. I might be slightly more emotionally vulnerable, the acoustic version of ‘Snuff’ by Corey Taylor nearly made me cry.

T:04:00: (±)
Effects have dissipated for the most part. I expected to be tired but I’m in a quite social mood, I think I’m gonna go out and meet my friends for drinks.

Background information:

- -//- (see above)
- setting: alone, in my apartment
- set: I’m feeling well, it’s a nice Sunday afternoon

I had an espresso and a decently sized breakfast in the morning, but it’s been about four hours since then, so my stomach feels empty. I had a spoonful of magnesium glycinate (~2.5g) 15 minutes prior to dosing.

2,6-Dibromomescaline hydrobromide (80mg, oral) / 7th trial (13/11/22):

Hard capsule containing 80mg DBM HBr (= ~72.1mg DBM HCl) ingested with water.
Taking a shower while waiting for the effects.

T:00:27: (±)
I can feel something in my stomach.

T:00:51: (+)
A friend of mine who tried a low dose of a different batch of DBM before me noted a "chrome-like aura" around objects and I must concur. No tracers, morphing, drifting, or any other typical visual hallucinations but most surfaces around me appear shiny.

T:01:15: (+)
I can feel a certain heaviness in my stomach and the bodyload is making itself present. At this point it’s milder than a moderate dose of 2C-B. I’m listening to aggressive music, and I can feel the anger and despair behind the lyrics. I‘m not too altered yet, so I don‘t mind the negativity. Usually this is not something I would listen to while tripping.

T:01:32: (++)
I’m cold and the colors are now standing out much more. My mind is still clear, and I have to yawn a lot. Everything still looks very bright and clean, almost clinically clean. The white couch table is so shiny it reflects the light. The CEV’s are mild but there. I am now listening to other hectic music and I’m literally seeing stars and flickering lights with my eyes closed. I am experiencing a very typical hallucination for me and that is the gliding into a seemingly endless tube where the surfaces are made from varying geometric patterns. This goes on for a while and then it shifts to darkness when all of a sudden dozens of hexagon pairs appear in multiple rows and start moving in opposed directions from side to side. They basically look like bicyclohexyl molecules arranged next and on top of each other. I have never noticed these patterns before, they’re still somewhat simple compared to other psychedelics with eye-candy CEV’s like DOM or mescaline. Looking forward to exploring these in higher doses though, perhaps they’ll become more interesting.
Emotionally I feel quite neutral, there’s no notable euphoria nor is there any dysphoria. Reminds me a bit of the emotional flatness of TMA, however I’m still unsure whether I dosed it too low back then, or if the blandness was a one-off phenomenon.
Anyway, my girlfriend just came home and she’s getting on my nerves a bit. I can immediately feel the bodyload intensifying. She reads out loud something horrible from the news and I tell her to be more considerate with what she’s saying. She apologizes but I’m still annoyed. A classic example of emotional vulnerability, I guess I was wrong about it not having any influence on my emotions. I’m heating a cherry pit pillow and put it on my stomach which calms me down.

T:02:02: (++)
I have to say the CEV’s are the best part about this experience. Everything else has been a bit lackluster so far. There’s no euphoria, no music enhancement, no aphrodisiac qualities nor is there any overappreciation of little things.
We’ll see if higher doses change that, as of now I find it mediocre.

T:02:17: (++)
A light warmth is shining through my chest, which feels nice. My heartrate seems to be a bit slower than usual and there are no signs of toxicity at this dose. There’s no stimulation and no notable vasoconstriction, the magnesium glycinate most likely helped with that.
I’m currently eating what seems to be the smallest fucking tangerine on the planet. I love citrus fruits on psychedelics.

T:02:52: (++)
The effects are winding down. Bodyload is disappearing and the visuals are turning down a notch. I’m feeling a little bit bloated. This could turn into gassiness, which is nothing out of the ordinary for PEA’s.

T:03:30: (+)

T:06:00: (-)
The DBM has worn off over the last hour, but I smoked a tiny bit of cannabis which was extremely euphoric. Had two incredible fits of laughter with lots of tears and breathing problems. Good stuff.

The day after:

T:18:00:
Slept nicely. Emotionally I feel great but I’m a bit hazy because of the weed I smoked yesterday. I will skip studying today but maybe I’ll do a cardio workout to get rid of the fatigue.

Background information:

- -//- (see above)
- setting: at home, alone
- set: I had an exam today which I did well on so I‘m feeling uplifted and happy.

2,6-Dibromomescaline hydrobromide (100mg, oral) / 7th trial (27/03/23):

Dissolve 100.4mg (= ~90.5mg DBM HCl) in hot water and down the solution.

T:00:08:
My lips are tingly and there‘s this minty taste again. My throat is closing up a little, I also got this feeling in previous trials but it‘s been months since I last had dibromomescaline.

T:00:26: (+)
I‘m getting tired. Mescaline does that too, but now the feeling is a little stronger. Things are picking up fast, even though I ate a meal an hour ago. 2,6-DBM has a much faster onset than mescaline, but it also hits faster than 2-bromomescaline.

T:00:49: (++)
It‘s coming on strong, I am sluggish and don‘t want to move. I have a heating pad on my stomach and it‘s very comforting, I can‘t feel any negative bodily effects. I did a work-out a couple of hours ago and drank some magnesium which are both helpful in countering vasoconstriction. Visually there isn‘t much happening yet, but some warmth and euphoria seem to be creeping up in my skull.

T:01:07: (++)
I’m yawning so much. I also start noticing some simplistic OEV’s like enhanced visual acuity. I am kind of bored, hopefully this is getting somewhere. The dose definitely seems like it’s on the stronger side but so far it isn‘t really rewarding or pleasurable.

T:01:40: (++(+))
I have reached the peak, unfortunately it isn‘t a really exciting one. Somehow this compound manages to be clearly active and quite strong actually but being absent of any exciting effects. The first word that comes to mind is bland. The visual effects are very basic and mainly affect my peripheral vision. It can be a bit disorienting when doing something around my apartment but when I try to focus on one thing there really is nothing to look at.
I close my eyes and give the 2,6-DBM some time to shine but there is only very faint visual geometry. When I look at the bright screen of my laptop and then close my eyes I do notice some interesting patterns, but it‘s more like when you rub your eyes and then open them quickly, just reversed. My thought processes are unaltered, but I’m not exactly clearheaded. There’s this familiar pressure in my skull that I get from other phenethylamines, usually this manifests itself as euphoria but now it doesn‘t.

T:02:00: (++(+))
Yeah there isn‘t much more going on, I feel like repeating myself. The dose isn‘t the problem I think, it seems like this one isn’t really a winner. There is no depth or profundity about this psychedelic, nor is there much excitement or euphoria. The visuals are boring and this kind of feels like a waste of time. It’s great there finally is some actual human data on this novel mescaline analog but that’s about it.

T:02:25: (++)
Effects are dying down but it‘ll probably take a while until I‘m back at baseline.

T:04:00: (+)
I take a few hits of cannabis which brings back the visuals a bit and makes me confused.

T:05:30:
Going to bed.

The day after:

T:13:00:
Woke up with a headache but a cup of coffee, water, some breakfast, and acetaminophen took care of it. My mood is a little down, but I stayed up late and have some annoying obligations today so that makes sense.

Conclusion:

To cut to the chase, I don’t really see a point in exploring this one much further. I will probably take a considerably larger dose at some point just to make sure I’m not missing something but I‘m not in a hurry. If I do decide to take a higher dose and my opinion suddenly changes I will make sure to report back but for now I‘ll focus on exploring other compounds. The monobrominated analog for example is MUCH more promising and there will be a report coming out soon. Don‘t want to spoil too much but this one seems like real gem so far and on the same level as 2C-B or mescaline. Really curious to see how the other halogenated scaline‘s are gonna play out.
Anyway, I also wanted to address the one existing Erowid report on 2,6-DBM. My theory is that the person who wrote the Erowid report is either extremely sensitive to DBM or consumed a batch which contained a bunch of unreacted 2-bromomescaline which is at least twice as potent as 2,6-dibromomescaline. With 15mg of 2-BM HCl I was at a definite +, whereas with 2,6-DBM I needed 40mg of the HBr salt to hit the bare threshold and judging from my dose titration the strength increase of this substance is rather linear. The first batch I received was also a mix of DBM/BM and required further heating and reaction time for all the remaining spots on the aromatic ring to be fully brominated. What I also find quite interesting is that this person described 2,6-DBM as "exclusively visual" while I found it extremely lacking in the visual department even though I‘m normally very sensitive to visual hallucinations.
All in all, I would say you‘re not missing out on much in the case of 2,6-dibromomescaline.

Stay safe,
Psychestim
Comparing ANY psychedelic visuals with those produced by DOM, is like comparing any production line car with a formula 1 racecard. I have never experienced any visuals that compare with DOM. It really is the creme de la creme of psychedelics. Colours that I'm not sure I've seen before, but memorably, a blue colour that reduced me to tears, it was so beautiful. LSD produces amazing kaleidoscopic CEV; DOM may not be as intensely geometric, but the emotional response to the colours of the patterning, are overwhelming.
I know DOM got bad press, when released as STP, in 1967, due to lack of knowledge of speed of onset (2 x 20mg pellets of DOM would scare the shit out of me). Biggest dose I ever ingested was 6mg of the R isomer (equivalent to 12mg of racaemic DOM) and it was beautiful, but the stimulant effect of the drug was a tad unsettling: 12mg of racaemic DOM, would have been fairly fucking unsettling, to put it mildly (this from someone who really likes stimulants).

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but it seemed a suitable place to mention the reality of the effects of DOM.
Funnily enough, DOET (where the 4 methyl is replaced by a 4-ethyl), is a pale imitation of the methyl version. Like DOM was the one that turned everything up to 11, where as DOET, is about it turned up to 8. (If you're wondering what I'm on about, ask a friend who has seen, 'This is Spinal Tap')

So many highly experienced psychonauts give DOM a ++++ and It's on my to-do list. One would expect bromo-dragonfly to be similar but is their some specific receptor-occupancy ratio that gives these peak experiences?

In both cases, can some of the 'issues' be solved (to some extent) by resolving the isomers? Their are many routes to oxidising amines back to ketones and with the ketone to hand, it's simple to produce the appropriate enantiomer by using a chiral auxiliary. In fact, that is how dexamphetamine was made commercially for many years.

The routes from nitroolefins to ketones date back a long way and their are many, many options - a twist for every pocket!

And the ADVANTAGE of using a chiral auxiliary is that the amine involved is a liquid at toom temperature. I PRESUME that most of these potent ring-substituted amphetamines proceed from nitroolefin to amine is because reductive amination with ammonia is a bit of a pain. Actually, I even happened upon a REALLY convenient way around that problem as well.

The trick is to dissolve ketone in solvent, add ammonium chloride, add base that frees amine AND (here's the smart bit) also absorbs the water formed during the condensation so you have a solution of imine. A convenient reducing agent gives quantitative yields.

I really could fill a book with this stuff but the really subtle stuff means that few people would be interested...

After all, 'cooks' are just told the MINIMUM required to do their job and no more.

I personally did not enjoy DOM at all. Too long a duration, I think the dose was a bit high but since it came on a blotter from the BM ill never really know. Shoot i'd read your book. Sure keep the cooks ignorant and on a need to know basis, makes since from there point of view. haha may have to bone up on some 090 and 101 chemistry but it would be worth the read I am quite sure.

actually after reading your report I wonder if it was DOM at all. It did come from a reputable vendor but that doesn't always mean alot.