• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos 1mg of Xanax is how much diazepam?

Kizaru

Bluelighter
How much alprazolam (Xanax) equals 10mg of diazepam (valium)? can't seem to find a solid answer , some say 1mg equals 10mg diazepam other say 1mg is 20mg diazepam . Anyone has an answer ?

Greetings ,

They behave a bit differently but in my experience the number is closer to 20mg (ie, 1mg of alprazolam is around 20mg of diazepam).

The effect profiles differ though, for example 20mg of diazepam will have a greater anti-epileptic effect than 1mg of alprazolam, and 1mg of alprazolam will have a greater anxiolytic and anti-panic effect, at least until it wears off.

I'm on diazepam but got my hands on a (real) 2mg Xanax yesterday. I cut it into quarters, so 0.5mg, and could notice it in 15 mins.

I need about 20mg diazepam to do anything (though tolerance to benzos changes a lot and sometimes 10mg is enough).

My doctor told me 10 but I think its closer to 15, maybe even higher. I went from 1mg of xanax to 10mg of diazepam and I definitely had some withdrawal, though it wasn't terrible.

They behave a bit differently but in my experience the number is closer to 20mg (ie, 1mg of alprazolam is around 20mg of diazepam).

The effect profiles differ though, for example 20mg of diazepam will have a greater anti-epileptic effect than 1mg of alprazolam, and 1mg of alprazolam will have a greater anxiolytic and anti-panic effect, at least until it wears off.

Right. I'm guessing that one of the primary factors in Diazepam (Valium) being prescribed less in favor of Benzodiazepines like Lorazepam (Aivan) of Alprazolam (Xanax) is due to a more predictable effect. Diazepam is one of the older Benzodiazepines and like Chlordiazepoxide (Librium) follows a more complex metabolic process in the body. I meet people who are totally zonked by 10mg Diazepam whereas I would have to take 30mg or even 40mg to equal 1mg Alprazolam, but this is typical for my body regarding the given enzymes.

It's safest to assume the stated dosage of 10mg Diazepam = .5mg Alprazolam, but you will have to gain some experience to know for sure.

Right. I'm guessing that one of the primary factors in Diazepam (Valium) being prescribed less in favor of Benzodiazepines like Lorazepam (Aivan) of Alprazolam (Xanax) is due to a more predictable effect. Diazepam is one of the older Benzodiazepines and like Chlordiazepoxide (Librium) follows a more complex metabolic process in the body. I meet people who are totally zonked by 10mg Diazepam whereas I would have to take 30mg or even 40mg to equal 1mg Alprazolam, but this is typical for my body regarding the given enzymes.

It's safest to assume the stated dosage of 10mg Diazepam = .5mg Alprazolam, but you will have to gain some experience to know for sure.
Depends where you are, Alprazolam is rarely prescribed in a lot of European countries , diazepam and lorazepam very commonly.

Depends where you are, Alprazolam is rarely prescribed in a lot of European countries , diazepam and lorazepam very commonly.

Right. Perhaps I'm guilty of putting too much "American" into what I post, as I was actually aware of the prevalence of Diazepam in European Countries. Sometimes you just choose the voice that you think will be most helpful to most people. The commentary regarding the commonality of Diazepam prescription was secondary to our primary goal, which was to address the differing potency of two Benzodiazepines. I hope that clears things up.

I have been out of the game, as it were for a couple of years now. I had my days where I could tell you the name of a person based upon the drugs they were prescribed and I could make a mental map, if you will, of my own area of the states. At the time, Diazepam made up at most 10% of prescriptions available for purchase on the street at any given time, with Alprazolam and Lorazepam roughly equal at 40% a piece, while occasionally you would encounter odd-balls like Oxazepam (Serax) and these would account for the remaining 10%. This is all completely hypothetical and doesn't even reflect any and all prescriptions. For instance, folks who are on maintenance therapy for Epilepsy or Traumatic Brain Injury are not often out selling their medication.

I'm just saying, there is some variability. What might be helpful to my friend in New York City might not apply to someone in Derry. We can only try to do our best and use our mutual accessibility our advantage. It has worked pretty well so far.

Edit

There's a pretty cool documentary on Youtube about an alleged Diazepam/Pregabalin epidemic in, I believe it was Northern Ireland. Who knows how true it is, but they had street dealers with Pregabalin dealers and they called them "buds".

I was moving too fast and forgot all about Clonazepam. When I was talking about availability, it was more like Clonazepam/Alprazolam/Lorazepam being prescribed at pretty much the same rate. This is all just my opinion and my experience.

Last edited:
I'm on diazepam but got my hands on a (real) 2mg Xanax yesterday. I cut it into quarters, so 0.5mg, and could notice it in 15 mins.

I need about 20mg diazepam to do anything (though tolerance to benzos changes a lot and sometimes 10mg is enough).
I know alot of people that only get effect from 20 compared to 10 . Although what does make alot of difference is actually having anxiety , taking 10mg when you have nothing almost don't notice anything , but when you have real anxiety i even notice 2.5 mg of diazepam , huge difference .

I have experience with both and i find diazepam having a safer profile . Don't notice rebounds with diazepam which i can with alpra that alrdy makes a difference in addiction and redosing . Highly unlikely someone would redose 20mg diazepam after 6 hours at least for me .

Nice this was very useful, Thanks .

Same here in Canada. Clonzepam and lorazapam are the ones most doctors use.

My doctor told me 10 but I think its closer to 15, maybe even higher. I went from 1mg of xanax to 10mg of diazepam and I definitely had some withdrawal, though it wasn't terrible.
Yeah probally between 15/20mg of diazepam , i thought the same thing .

Is clonazepam close to diazepam in its effect and longer half life ?

I think diazepam is a bit longer but not by to much. I took diazepam before I switched to clonzepam and for me I find clonzepam worked better.

A quick Google search said 30-40 hrs for clonzepam and 48 for diazepam. Personally I find clonzepam last longer. Everyone reacts differently