12 steppers (& others) what does your morning prayer look like?

my worst enemy

Bluelighter
Im kind of new to this but when I perform some sort of morning prayer I try ask for strength. I sit on my mattress, close my eyes and breath. And formulate whatever skills I know I lack as a person. But I could use some inspiration on this.

Let me know what your morning ritual consist of. (as long as its not shooting up and chilling with the angels ;) )

I pray;

Father God, I pray that by your grace and mercy that you would keep me clean yet another day, not because I deserve it, but because of what your son Did on the cross. Hold me in your palm thru out this day and guide my footsteps, give me strength, as I give you all the glory, thanks you, in Jesus name I pray AMEN.

I don't really utilize any standard morning prayer but I do ask for assistance throughout the day and ask for guidance in doing the right thing for the right reason.

At 41 years of age, everything I thought I knew about how to live obviously wasn't working (it only brought pain and reinforcement of my numerous character defects). Now I accept that actually knowing how to really live and how life works is new to me so I ask for open-mindedness, PATIENCE, acceptance, tolerance, compassion, humility, honesty, courage, willingness, faith and trust (these are the most common ones for me) throughout the day.

It took me a little bit to recognize whether I was being patient or merely 'waiting'. Patience is simply enduring the perceived good or perceived bad of particular events/moments until they finally yield their intended results. 'Waiting' indicates that I have an expectation of what the results will be. Typically, when I'm 'waiting', I have the expectation that those results will be towards my benefit. This caters to the total self-centeredness that was the driving force in my addiction. I need to avoid that pattern and shun that obsession with self since recovery is all about change. I've found that havng patience is significantly better than waiting

Glad to see you around, mwe!

I'm not a 12 stepper and I am not religious but I try to start every day with gratitude which is kind of like a morning prayer. I am just still and quiet and I think about everything that I have been given in my life and how grateful I am for all of it. I try to check in with my self, to feel if I am anxious about anything, and if I am, I tell myself to let go of any expectations, to put it in perspective, and to welcome whatever comes. I find that when I start my day this way that everything feels lighter. When I am rushed and start the day without this one brief little private ritual, I find that I am much more likely to feel overwhelmed during the day.

i think it is wonderful that you started this thread and I hope that it inspires people, no matter where they are in their lives, to give themselves this one little gift of starting the day with some sort of private moment in which to reflect. <3

I am just still and quiet and I think about everything that I have been given in my life and how grateful I am for all of it. I try to check in with my self, to feel if I am anxious about anything, and if I am, I tell myself to let go of any expectations, to put it in perspective, and to welcome whatever comes.

^^ Thats really nice. Thanks for the tip. This is why BL rule.

Every morning as I drive to work, I speak to my Higher Power as though I were speaking to someone in the car with me. In other words, I speak out loud. I present my fears and concerns, my anxieties and defects of character that I pray for the strength to attend to properly.

I express my gratitude for having woken up that day. For the beautiful sunrise that I get to enjoy every morning, because I need to get up at 5 AM each morning in order to get to work.

I pray for the peace and serenity for those people I may have developed a resentment against.

Lastly, and most importantly, I request from my Higher Power that it guide my thoughts, words and actions in all that I do.

It's my favorite part of any given day. No contest. I arrive at work tranquil and poised.

~ Vaya

I haven't started praying yet. I might start tomorrow though, I was thinking about it today. It will be to my Higher Power, not God.

If I am feeling serene, I will ask for the wisdom to act in a way that maintains this. If I'm not feeling serene, I will ask for the wisdom to act in a way that moves me towards serenity. I will ask for the strength to stay clean. I will ask for the courage to reach out to the newcomer as those have reached out to me. I will ask for the wisdom to gain further perspective on my life, and by doing so act in a respectable manner and right my past wrongs.

All the basic stuff really. As they (or we I suppose) say, it's not easy, but it is simple.

Good thread!
Just started 12 steps today, before I do anything I pray and put the day in gods hands, thank for my blessings, pray for others, for BL'ers and anyone I know suffering and ask guidance and instruction.

Also talk to god when going about the day about what to do, show me his will for my life purpose and anything else that comes up.

Nearly forgot.... Seek forgiveness for my sins and to be healed from them.

Edit: if you're stuck for a prayer you should find some examples to pray from with the 12 steps. What you said in your post above sounds like a pretty decent prayer to me, to whatever your higher power may be :)

Last edited: