• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

‘My therapist gave me a pill’: can MDMA help cure trauma?

sigmond

Bluelight Crew
Olivia Solon: The Guardian

For as long as Alice, now 32, can remember, her father, “a major drug dealer with freezers full of cocaine”, was physically abusive towards her and her mother. “My first memory is of him backing us to the front door with a gun, saying he’d kill her, kill me and kill himself one day.”

Alice’s post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a debilitating mental condition that can be caused by experiencing or witnessing a life-threatening event, went misdiagnosed for many years. The panic attacks, body shakes, nightmares and insomnia took their toll, while doctors treated her for depression and anxiety. There were many triggers: physical contact, being alone, showering, seeing someone who resembled a family member, loud sounds, even a red baseball cap – the kind her father wore. He and his friends also sexually abused her on numerous occasions. The disorder imprisoned Alice; she couldn’t answer the phone or go to the shops on her own. “I would get triggered by something and I’d shake or shiver,” she says.

Over the years, she tried talking therapy, somatic therapy, and eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing (EMDR), in which a therapist moves his or her fingers left and right in front of a patient’s face as they recount their trauma (the eye movements seem to dampen the memories). Nothing worked.

Then, two and a half years ago, Alice enrolled in a clinical trial for a treatment combining psychotherapy with MDMA, near her home town of Erie, Colorado. She took 125mg of the drug, the same dose a clubber might take recreationally, three times over the course of 12 weeks. Her “trips” were accompanied by eight-hour therapy sessions. “I sat on a comfy couch and my therapist gave me a pill in a little handmade ceramic cup,” she says. “It had a ritualistic feel to it. I was terrified the first time.” Having taken the capsule, Alice was given an eye mask and headphones, and lay back listening to drum music until the drug, which she’d never taken before, kicked in.

“The MDMA just pulls things out of you,” she says now. “It supports you. You can start looking at all your experiences and how they are affecting you. There were times when I just sat up and started talking. Or I’d cry. Or there were moments of re-enactment. Physically, I felt like my whole body was vibrating for a while.”

During the session, her psychiatrist guided the conversation according to goals she had set with Alice beforehand. “I had the first few minutes of peace I’ve had in years,” Alice says, though the sessions weren’t all plain sailing. “Some parts were wonderful and others were kind of hellacious. I was super-sad and couldn’t stop crying. It was not just an automatic love drug. But I was always able to come back to feeling good.”

Alice’s recovery was astonishing. The gold-standard assessment tool for this kind of trauma is the clinician-administered PTSD scale, or Caps, which uses a lengthy questionnaire to determine the severity of a patient’s symptoms (sample question: have there been times when you felt emotionally numb or had trouble experiencing feelings like love or happiness?). Any score over 60 is “severe”. Alice’s score went from 106 to two. It’s now at zero. In other words, her PTSD is gone.

continued

Thanks for the article. Interesting read. Glad efforts to study and legitimize this type of work have made lots of progress since I last checked. I'd love to try some MDMA-assisted therapy sessions personally. Never even tried MDMA despite trying a long list of other research chemicals cause the legal status. No legal options or clinical trials around these parts.

I was curious if people have tried self-facilitated therapy with MDMA. Did a quick search and all I could find was this Bluelight post:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...-Experience-Request-for-Experiences-of-Others

It's really unlikely that you'll get the full therapeutic benefits of MDMA without a therapist.

P.S. I hadn't thought about the DEA in a while, but this article just reminded me that they exist and now I'm angry. :X

Therapeutic MDMA-dosing should, IMO, never be done without a therapist present.

Umm what else? Oh yeah: everything in moderation (especially MDMA - your serotonin axons will thank you).

$400,000 a kilo? That's ridiculous. I guess that's the premium when you have so many regulatory hurdles.

The Lotus Eaters...who believe that MDMA is the cure all for PTSD and everything else.

Everyone I know who has ever taken this drug or pure MDMA, claims that they feel extremely depressed or even suicidal the next day after it wears off.

It is woefully naive to overvalue the singular impact of a psychoactive drug on the brain/mind. Experienced clinicians have observed extreme variation in responses to CNS medications as well as psychedelics. Only naive zealots would promote use of ketamine, LSD, DMT or MDMA as if it were 'penicillin for the soul'-- a solipsistic error.

Maybe the best first step toward sound use of new therapeutics would be to develop some screening criteria to discern likely 'good fit.' Very fragile people have become casualties of the hype around ayahuasca retreats in South America. There's a lot of people dying or literally going crazy on these whacko ayahuasca retreats

this article doesn't differentiate between Complex PTSD and acute PTSD. They are diagnosed differently and have different scores on for severity.

C-PTSD is from repeated exposure to trauma, especially in young age and causes developmental issues with the brain that differ to the 'stuck mechanism' of acute PTSD. And to confuse things further C-PTSD makes you more susceptible to acute PTSD later in life if you experience one off trauma.

all the research done so far has failed to prove any genuine medical uses for MDMA. Psychiatrist/therapist intervention, with medications can help more than any drug like MDMA.

Everyone I know who has ever taken this drug or pure MDMA, claims that they feel extremely depressed or even suicidal the next day after it wears off.

You and your friends might have been getting some pretty shitty MDMA.

It is woefully naive to overvalue the singular impact of a psychoactive drug on the brain/mind. Experienced clinicians have observed extreme variation in responses to CNS medications as well as psychedelics. Only naive zealots would promote use of ketamine, LSD, DMT or MDMA as if it were 'penicillin for the soul'-- a solipsistic error.
Naive zealot here. But I've never been depressed or suicidal after a roll. Maybe a little tired and sad it didn't last longer. Nothing a good meal and a decent nights sleep didn't fix. Maybe I'm just weird o_O

The Lotus Eaters...who believe that MDMA is the cure all for PTSD and everything else.

Maybe the best first step toward sound use of new therapeutics would be to develop some screening criteria to discern likely 'good fit.' Very fragile people have become casualties of the hype around ayahuasca retreats in South America. There's a lot of people dying or literally going crazy on these whacko ayahuasca retreats

this article doesn't differentiate between Complex PTSD and acute PTSD. They are diagnosed differently and have different scores on for severity.

C-PTSD is from repeated exposure to trauma, especially in young age and causes developmental issues with the brain that differ to the 'stuck mechanism' of acute PTSD. And to confuse things further C-PTSD makes you more susceptible to acute PTSD later in life if you experience one off trauma.

all the research done so far has failed to prove any genuine medical uses for MDMA. Psychiatrist/therapist intervention, with medications can help more than any drug like MDMA.

massive exaggeration and negative judgement of something without looking at evidence that is available

alpha_centauri said:
Psychiatrist/therapist intervention, with medications can help more than any drug like MDMA.

What, are medications not drugs, or is there some inherent pharmacological reason why "drugs like MDMA" cannot be useful for this purpose? Or is this just pure ignorance?

What, are medications not drugs, or is there some inherent pharmacological reason why "drugs like MDMA" cannot be useful for this purpose? Or is this just pure ignorance?

The idea that MDMA cures PTSD better than therapy and meds like TCAs, SSRIs, SSNRIs, or even low doses of benzos or beta blockers as needed is total horse shit and incorrect.

You and your friends might have been getting some pretty shitty MDMA.

I don't take MDMA, but my friends who did or have, would take pure MDMA and MDA decades ago when it was all completely legal, and yes they all felt extremely depressed and suicidal the next day even from low doses.

The idea that MDMA cures PTSD better than therapy and meds like TCAs, SSRIs, SSNRIs, or even low doses of benzos or beta blockers as needed is total horse shit and incorrect.

I'd be delighted to see the evidence you're basing your claim on. Oh wait, there is none.

MDMA helped me a bit in my senior year of high school and came out of my shell.

I started dating after rolling a few times and learned some things about myself.

It didn't cure shit, just learned I could be comfortable in my own skin and it helped with my self esteem at the time and I haven't thought low of myself since that point in time.

It took more than having experiences and what not. I went on benzodiazaoines and honestly after 3 years of heavy MDMA use it was kinda needed.

MDMA can help people. I would like to see it used in therapy and have been planning to hit up underground MDMA therapy with a loved one to mend our relationship. It is a family member if you must know and we were always close as it is my mother and we had to protect one another from my father who is a abusive man to sum it up.

I don't know much about his drug use. Cocaine, PCP, and alcohol is all I ever witnessed and he would do it after work or dinner depending on how late he worked. I was the family whipping boy and took a lot of beatings so my mother didn't have to and we worked together to get out of that situation.

I'd be delighted to see the evidence you're basing your claim on. Oh wait, there is none.

There's tons of evidence. I work in mental health and have for decades, and I'm a lot more qualified than random people on a drug message board are. I have seen the negative consequences of people who have PTSD and other mental illnesses taking MDMA, MDA, and other drugs. I saw a lot of this in the 70s and 80s before you were probably even alive and MDMA and MDA were completely legal.

The worst were the people who went to quack or wannabe therapists that would give their clients drugs like MDMA/MDA during therapy sessions, and people who attempted to self medicate PTSD and other mental illnesses with drugs like MDMA/MDA and others did not fare well either, and became worse.

There's tons of evidence. I work in mental health and have for decades, and I'm a lot more qualified than random people on a drug message board are. I have seen the negative consequences of people who have PTSD and other mental illnesses taking MDMA, MDA, and other drugs. I saw a lot of this in the 70s and 80s before you were probably even alive and MDMA and MDA were completely legal.

The worst were the people who went to quack or wannabe therapists that would give their clients drugs like MDMA/MDA during therapy sessions, and people who attempted to self medicate PTSD and other mental illnesses with drugs like MDMA/MDA and others did not fare well either, and became worse.

If you're half as qualified as you claim to be, then it should be no bother for you to produce a peer-reviewed article or two which you base your claims on. Currently all your argument is based on is appeal to authority and questionable anecdotal evidence. But hey, this is the internets after all. Everybody is a mental health professional and Noble laureate on here. That's why you have to produce evidence or nobody will take you seriously.