Recruiting Investigating Drug Use & Mental Health in People with a Family History of Psychotic Disorders [Survey]

Drugs Survey Research

Greenlighter
Hello!

My name is Noah Sweat & I work in behavioral health at the University of Alabama at Birmingham's School of Public Health. Our lab studies addiction, mental health, & psychedelic drugs. This survey is regarding drug use & mental health. It has been approved by the university's Institutional Review Board & is open to anyone over the age of 18 who can read & write in English.

Here's the link to the study: https://uab.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1zRkr9dg1g1flEp

The survey typically takes 25-35 minutes to complete and will run until August 16th 2021.

I can be contacted at nwsweat {at} uab.edu or via Bluelight's private messages. Additionally the principal investigator's contact info is available on the first page of the survey/informed consent.

Let us know if you have any questions & thanks for your interest in this study!

Last edited:
Hey @Drugs Survey Research welcome to Bluelight!

Just gonna ask you to note in your post what the requirements are for the survey. Is it worldwide? Age range? Try to include anything that is applicable to save people time filling It out when they aren’t the target group.

I’d also ask you to make your ethical approval a bit clearer.

Other than that, I wish you the best of luck with your study and just to say we always love being kept up to date when the writing up is finished.

Any questions don’t hesitate to message any of the mods here. @neversickanymore or myself.

Diz

I almost finished it. When at the end it asked to write for 10 minutes I gave up.

It was much too long. I have designed surveys for scholarly purposes and that one was a bit rough. Additionally there were some typos like, "I have notices sounds on my records that are not there at other times".

Also note that the scale below doesn't make much sense logically:

Seems asymmetric...wouldnt an additional option of "somewhat disagree" follow somewhat agree? Somewhat agree is far closer to strongly agree than it is to strongly disagree.

The forced responses are questionable too (ie, not allow question skipping). Usually in a forced response survey of that duration we either offer an incentive or in some cases give the survey taker an option to participate in a drawing for a chance to win one of X number of $X amazon gift cards, etc. Not that that would stopped me from dropping out early but it could work for others if you want a good #N of 100% completers.

I must admit that when piloting this survey, I completed it up until the write for 10 minutes bit - I think that's ok, though, and the rest of the data is fine, but that the researchers were looking to do some machine learning type analysis on the free writing text for those who completed that. But I was done by the time I got to that bit!

Interested in your findings for this project and thanks for posting!

Thanks for the responses so far!

@negrogesic I notified the PI about the typo, thanks! Regarding the scale, its a validated scale that we're just using, not one we created so unfortunately we can't alter the response options. We also would have liked to offer some sort of compensation but did not have the budget for it.