• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

The Official Drug Related Literature Thread

JointsNRoaches

Bluelighter
Welcome to DC's new drug related literature thread! In this thread all drug related literature speak is welcome.
-Thizzer

Not really sure where this thread should have been posted, mods please help me out.

Im after a few good books to read about the effects of drugs on humans, psychs especially but not exclusively. Maybe something related to sexuallity, creativity ect as opposed to just random facts and propoganda. I hope iv been clear enuff but i seem to be lacking the correct words.

Thanks in advance
JsNRs

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm well these aren't too accurate to your description but I really liked Tweak by Nic Sheff and Junky by William S. Burroughs. I also have Brave New World, Naked Lunch and Doors of Perception that I haven't gotten too into yet. Naked Lunch is just so confusing I can't seem to get into it at all.

Another drug related book I want to get when I get back home is Anthony Kiedis' (from the chili peppers) autobiography.

If your looking for something really scientific instead of a story involving drug use maybe check out TiHKAL or PiHKAL both by Shulgin

the sexual power of marijuana
storming heaven ~ jay stevens all about LSD
from chocolate to morphine

thanks for all the suggestions so far. Having a look on the trusty internet for a few write ups now.

Candy by Luke Davies...amazing book about love and heroin addiction and the complications they both bring

yeah, i read CANDY and it was def a good read that the author couldn't have written without firsthand experience

Acid Dreams: The Complete Social History of LSD: The CIA, the Sixties, and Beyond

iforjd.jpg

Product Description
Acid Dreams is the complete social history of LSD and the counterculture it helped to define in the sixties. Martin Lee and Bruce Shlain's exhaustively researched and astonishing account-part of it gleaned from secret government files-tells how the CIA became obsessed with LSD as an espionage weapon during the early l950s and launched a massive covert research program, in which countless unwitting citizens were used as guinea pigs. Though the CIA was intent on keeping the drug to itself, it ultimately couldn't prevent it from spreading into the popular culture; here LSD had a profound impact and helped spawn a political and social upheaval that changed the face of America. From the clandestine operations of the government to the escapades of Timothy Leary, Abbie Hoffman, Ken Kesey and his Merry Pranksters, Allen Ginsberg, and many others, Acid Dreams provides an important and entertaining account that goes to the heart of a turbulent period in our history. "Engaging throughout . . . at once entertaining and disturbing." - Andrew Weil, M.D., The Nation; "Marvelously detailed . . . loaded with startling revelations." - Los Angeles Daily News; "An engrossing account of a period . . . when a tiny psychoactive molecule affected almost every aspect of Western life." - William S. Burroughs; "An important historical synthesis of the spread and effects of a drug that served as a central metaphor for an era." - John Sayles.

i just read the Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixxx... Pretty good little story about a year in the life of Motley Crüe.. I wanna read Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis (Red Hot Chili Peppers).
Just started Requiem for a Dream for the second or third time.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
These are all novels/autobiographies, though. I dunno if that is what you are looking for.

PDR Physician's Desk Reference, lol

I really enjoyed The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe.

It's a non-fiction novel about The Merry Pranksters and their exploits. They traveled across the country promoting psychedelic use (primarily LSD) in the mid-to-late sixties and they themselves also used amphetamines and cannabis and the like. It not only offers insight on the benefits and perils of psychoactive use and abuse, but I thought it was really well written and thoroughly interesting.

I would second ACID DREAMS by Martin Lee and Bruce Shlain, I have never trusted the government as much after I learned of the extremes they went to stop hippy counter culture in the 60s and 70s.

someone already mentioned Doors of Perception (Huxley), which is excellent.

i love everything Hunter S. Thompson . . lots of drugs involved, although drugs are rarely the main subject. GREAT reads.

and then one of my favorites that hasn't been mentioned -- DMT: The Spirit Molecule (Strassman). clinical studies on DMT, conducted by someone who was willing to consider some of the more spiritual claims made about the substance.

oh, and The Teachings of Don Juan.