• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Speed/Meth tolerance prevention/reduction [long]

A boatload of conjecture from you:

>Ketamine, PCP, and DXM are plenty neurotoxic all by themselves.

Not demonstrated in humans or primates, except with PCP which has certain additional neurotoxic mechanisms that the other NMDA antagonists do not share, such as induction of the capsase-3 apoptosis system (which THC also activates in the hippocampus).

>Amphetamine less so, but more so if taken daily

Definitely not shown to be so in therapeutic doses, or really anything less than very massive doses that produce hyperthermia and direct neurotoxicity from DA.

>The biggest reason methylphenidate is less toxic than amphetamine and methamphetamine is that it lasts much, much less long.

It's actually the mode of action.

>Wellbutrin is hardly active at all.

Untrue.

Wow. I almost just posted an epic novel of my life story in this quick reply. Saved that as a journal entry...but the amusing part is if you see what I just said and correlate it to the rest of this, theres some proof.

Cutting out details. I used to use this, abuse it, abstained for about 3 months...then decided i really do need to use it for school.

steady adderall xr use 30mg daily for months
accidentally got scripted IR not XR and then had it fixed for XR but had an extra bottle of IR now
Started using IR alternating with XR at times
eventually started to crush XR and parachute on days I wanted them to come on stronger.
Around this time dose started to increase to an extra 15 mg since i had the extra bottle...
Then came getting invited to my friends djing at a club and other clubbing events
I don't drink, smoke weed, or do any other drugs anymore, only other drug I use is clonazepam, and I WILL NOT abuse that, I've seen where benzo abuse takes you, and not going back there...that is merely something for longstanding insomnia and social anxiety (pre-existing to ADD diagnosis)
Started popping 60 mg IR
Started doing 60 on and off on regular days...but not all at once like on the club nights
eventually every other weekend or every weekend id do 90mg in one sitting
started to lose its effect...so I started blowing 60....
I got an extra 10mg IR added to my 30mg xr script
as finals approached, just to get basically baseline i needed 60mg, and to get focused or motivated it took 90. Ended up doing about 240 mg over two days (spread out doses)
but I never quite as focused as I used to be. never felt high at all.

Once finals were over, I saw where this was going, decided to say fuck this shit I'm not wasting my script, my mental energy, and being depending on unreasonable amounts of amphetamine just to function, not even get the therapeutic effect.

abstained from usage for 5 days completely, took tyrosine, choline, nootropics, brain supplements, etc.

Today I decided, just to see how it goes, to take 30mg, less than my full prescribed dose, along with a tablespoon of delsym and some magnesium.

Not only did I get the euphoria and motivation, but I also got the focus and energy and I DIDN'T FOR ONCE end up with freezing cold fingers!!! and its lasted much longer than using 4 times as much has and im not crashing.

Personally, I think that along with vitamins and supplements to restore neurotransmitters, taking a few day breaks between using as well as using dxm and magnesium with your dosage can change the outcome of your entire experience.

one thing i've considered...while using adderall daily, i also used nootropics....
they counteract the nmda effects magnesium and dxm have i think..atleast the racetams.
i didnt use any today..
could aniracetam/other racetams possibly increase tolerance while using them?

I love speed, I do it whenever possible, not to sound like a dork, but I didn't get a chance to read through all of the discussion forum. Sorry, just thought I'd put my two cents in. I have experimented mostly IV with the use of speed. I've melted down most likely every stimulant pill that exists, and they all have the same results, sitting in bed late at night with my mind racing, excessive productivity in my promotional business and occasionally a bit of paranoia. The paranoia is worth it though. I love the stuff, ain't giving it up anytime soon.

Alternating Ephedrine with Adderall

Hi All. Great thread!

A bit of history first. For about the past 3 years, I have been taking ephedrine to help me get the "kick" I needed to go to the gym and be productive at work, etc. Lately however, I had been building up a HUGE tolerance to the stuff and not only was I afraid of what I was doing to my body, but it was getting rediculously expensive.

I finally decided to see someone about my symptoms (fatigue, lack of motivation/concentration) and I was diagnosed with ADHD. I was prescribed Adderall XR, 20mg, once a day. I've been taking it for about a week now and it has been great. I think I was probably self-medicating myself with the ephedrine, as it seemed to give me the energy and motivation I needed to get through my busy work schedule. However, now I'm worried about biulding a tolerance to the Adderall and my search for answers brought me to this thread.

My question is, does anyone know, or think it would be effective to use Adderall for about 2 weeks straight, and then switch over to the ephedrine for two weeks? Does anyone think this would prevent building a tolerance with respect to both substances? Or, are ephedrine and Adderall so similar in their method of action that this would not work? Do they both hit the same receptor sites?

Thanks in advance!!

nasho,

There shouldn't be a cross-tolerance between Adderall and ephedrine, so your schedule should work fine. I recently took a 2 week holiday from Adderall, and it helped a lot with tolerance. I can now get away with taking 20mg a day less then before the holiday. I took 3,000 mg of L-tyrosine, emergen-c, green tea extract and plenty of caffeine everyday to cope with withdrawals while on the holiday.

I'm my opinion, ephedrine is nasty in comparison to Adderall; you may want to reconcider it as a substitute for Adderall and save your money for supplements that reduce amphetamine tolerance. 20mg a day of Adderall is a relatively low dose, so it will be easy to build a bit of a tolerance to it. You may want to consider asking your doctor to increase your dose if tolerance begins to build.

It's essential that you take supplements (all of which are already mentioned in this thread and should not be overlooked) that reduce tolerance and help with fatigue like:
L-tyrosine,
chelated magnesium
b-vitamin complex

and supplements that are neuroprotective like green tea extract

I hope this helps...

Wow... this would be a great thread.
smileynormal.ico

Very impressive thread. It seems to have sparked a lot of interest in quite a few sites that I frequent.
I have a concern though, when taking DXM daily one would expect to build a tolerance to it, as one would to any other drug. So would that DXM tolerance affect it's ability to curb amphetamine tolerance?
I'd assume a tolerance would build to the other possible NMDA antagonists listed as well, considering that they're drugs just the same. If so, this presents a problem to the entire idea of using drugs to curb tolerance to other drugs..

I was also wondering if anyone who's been on a regimen could post their experiences? How efficacious the treatment is, what supplements were used, what doses were used, etc;

also a bit of food for thought; DXM has been known to potentate amphetamines, could this be a possible mechanism as to why one feels that their tolerance is lowered? Simply abstaining from taking any NMDA antagonists or amphetamines for a day or two and then dosing your average dose of amphetamines would probably clear that up.

Also, magnesium is often used as an antacid. Antacids increase amphetamine absorption. Could this be the real mechanism in action as opposed to the NMDA antagonist theory?

So far I can find little research on the topic, so anecdotal evidence seems like the only way to go, as unreliable as it may sometimes be. I think we need ample evidence before starting a similar regimen, as NMDA antagonists seems to have a 'dumbing down' effect which would be contraindicated in therapeutic use.. anyone who's ever done high doses of DXM should be familiar with that. Personally, I feel like a goddam retard when I take ~240mg.

Glad this thread got bumped, I've been meaning to add my experience for months. After first reading this thread I decided to try DXM with my next meth run. I did 60 mgs (4 of the robo cough gels) twice a day, though I probably missed a dose or two given my mental state. I finally decide to stop when my wife told me I'd been up 12 days. I didn't believe her at first, until I thought about it a minute. And I was still doing the same (admittedly very high) dose I had been doing on day one. No paranoia or amphetamine psychosis, while I'm prone to neither after nearly two weeks without sleep their absence seems worth noting. My schedule hasn't permited this kind of meth abuse since, but when it does I definately will be using DXM with it.

Glad this thread got bumped, I've been meaning to add my experience for months. After first reading this thread I decided to try DXM with my next meth run. I did 60 mgs (4 of the robo cough gels) twice a day, though I probably missed a dose or two given my mental state. I finally decide to stop when my wife told me I'd been up 12 days. I didn't believe her at first, until I thought about it a minute. And I was still doing the same (admittedly very high) dose I had been doing on day one. No paranoia or amphetamine psychosis, while I'm prone to neither after nearly two weeks without sleep their absence seems worth noting. My schedule hasn't permited this kind of meth abuse since, but when it does I definately will be using DXM with it.

You mind posting your experience in my thread?=D
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=501875

Answered in bold

Very impressive thread. It seems to have sparked a lot of interest in quite a few sites that I frequent.
I have a concern though, when taking DXM daily one would expect to build a tolerance to it, as one would to any other drug. So would that DXM tolerance affect it's ability to curb amphetamine tolerance?
I'd assume a tolerance would build to the other possible NMDA antagonists listed as well, considering that they're drugs just the same. If so, this presents a problem to the entire idea of using drugs to curb tolerance to other drugs..

No tolerance to the anti tolerance effect of NMDA antagonists wont occur.

I was also wondering if anyone who's been on a regimen could post their experiences? How efficacious the treatment is, what supplements were used, what doses were used, etc;

Check the link i posted above, i collected a lot of anecdotal experiences.

also a bit of food for thought; DXM has been known to potentate amphetamines, could this be a possible mechanism as to why one feels that their tolerance is lowered? Simply abstaining from taking any NMDA antagonists or amphetamines for a day or two and then dosing your average dose of amphetamines would probably clear that up.

No, the reason NMDA antagonists work is probably because they increase dopamine receptor density and effectively counteract downregulation.

If they worked just by potentiating amp, then tolerance would still occur after a while.

Couple refs:
(PMID: 1382178) Chronic administration of NMDA antagonists induces D2 receptor synthesis in rat.
D2 binding studies carried out in MK-801 chronically treated (0.3 mg/kg/day per os, for 50 days) and control rats revealed an increased receptor density in treated animals without a significant change in receptor affinity.

(PMID: 10443547) Adaptations of NMDA and dopamine D2, but not of muscarinic receptors following 14 days administration of uncompetitive NMDA receptor antagonists.
The same treatment with amantadine did increase [3H]raclopride binding to dopamine D2 receptors by 13.5%.

(PMID: 12832726 Effect of combined treatment with imipramine and amantadine on the central dopamine D2 and D3 receptors in rats.
We can conclude that repeated administration of AMA, given together with IMI, induces the up-regulation of dopamine D2 and D3 receptors in the rat brain.

(PMID: 10096038) Modulation of dopamine D2 receptor expression by an NMDA receptor antagonist in rat brain.
In the striatum, a significant increase in striatal dopamine D2 receptor mRNA levels was shown in animals treated with CPP.

Also, magnesium is often used as an antacid. Antacids increase amphetamine absorption. Could this be the real mechanism in action as opposed to the NMDA antagonist theory?

So far I can find little research on the topic, so anecdotal evidence seems like the only way to go, as unreliable as it may sometimes be. I think we need ample evidence before starting a similar regimen, as NMDA antagonists seems to have a 'dumbing down' effect which would be contraindicated in therapeutic use.. anyone who's ever done high doses of DXM should be familiar with that. Personally, I feel like a goddam retard when I take ~240mg.

Memantine has little cognitive effects in most people after the adaptation phase, i take 60mg /day and only notice extra clarity, altough there can be some decline, i dont notice it.

Last edited:
Advanced-apologies if this isn't the best thread for this post:

Anecdotally, I have noted [co-administered] glutamine (an amide of glutamic acid) to markedly enhance/potentiate the pharmacological-effects of amphetamines -- of which i also suspect; through my somewhat limited comprehension of pubmed papers re: glutamate - its properties and functions; namely w/re: NMDA receptors & glutamate-neurotransmission

In any case.. hot (no A/C in my house + 30C indoor temp = fried brain), burnt out, and under-stimulated, i nevertheless felt the need to add this brief post here as i knew i would forget to do so later on -- also, due to a severe lack of information on glutamine & glutamate neuroscience/pharmacology online... Well, i hope to get some response and possibly stimulate discussion on this subject - especially from those well-versed in such

Addendum: Basic info from a basic source: for the curious; (only this, before i go digging through papers tomorrow when i can think properly)--

Neurotransmitter
Glutamate is the most abundant excitatory neurotransmitter in the vertebrate nervous system. At chemical synapses, glutamate is stored in vesicles. Nerve impulses trigger release of glutamate from the pre-synaptic cell. In the opposing post-synaptic cell, glutamate receptors, such as the NMDA receptor, bind glutamate and are activated. Because of its role in synaptic plasticity, glutamate is involved in cognitive functions like learning and memory in the brain.[5] The form of plasticity known as long-term potentiation takes place at glutamatergic synapses in the hippocampus, neocortex, and other parts of the brain. Glutamate works not only as a point-to-point transmitter but also through spill-over synaptic crosstalk between synapses in which summation of glutamate released from a neighboring synapse creates extrasynaptic signaling/volume transmission.[6]

Glutamate transporters[7] are found in neuronal and glial membranes. They rapidly remove glutamate from the extracellular space. In brain injury or disease, they can work in reverse, and excess glutamate can accumulate outside cells. This process causes calcium ions to enter cells via NMDA receptor channels, leading to neuronal damage and eventual cell death, and is called excitotoxicity. The mechanisms of cell death include

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_acid
Link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamine#Producing_and_consuming_organs

Final note: rectal admin of L-glutamine hcl [dissolved in water] (single, unspecified mg-dosages), anecdotally, seems/feels to have optimal BBB-permeability.. Conversely, oral admin seems to have only a diuretic effect; minus any psychoactivity noted w/rectal admin

-G

I found little if any luck with this, but my ketamine regimen wasn't regular enough to tell, and it looks like DXM isn't very effective (relatively).

ebola

I discuss it more in length in my thread, but one of the big avenues for tolerance prevention is inhibition of CREB and histone acetylation. If you can slow down the changes in gene expression that amphetamines induce you should be able to reduce the buildup of tolerance.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=577851

If memory serves that Unlucky guy methylated the hell out of his DNA using some sort of amphetamine and that's one of the causes of his severe issues.

I found little if any luck with this, but my ketamine regimen wasn't regular enough to tell, and it looks like DXM isn't very effective (relatively).

ebola

Have you tried using magnesium?

I found little if any luck with this [...] it looks like DXM isn't very effective (relatively).

ebola

I was disappointed to read this. Nevertheless I thought I'd give several suggestions in this thread a try. Will anyone knowledgable on this subject (preferably someone with a positive anecdotal experience) critique this regimen:

This morning I woke up as usual. We'll call this precisely T+0:00.

T+0:05 - Took (all orally, empty stomach)
1 tablet B-12 1000mcg
1 tablet Folic Acid 400mcg
1 tablet Selenium 200mcg
1 capsule 5-HTP 100mg
1 capsule Alpha-Lipoic Acid 100mg

T+0:35 (half hour later) took (again, orally, empty stomach save for the aforementioned pills)
2 "combination" tablets (each pill contains Calcium Carbonate 1000mg, Magnesium Oxide - 400mg, Zinc Oxide - 15mg & Copper (as Cupric Oxide) - 1mg)
1 capsule L-Glutamine 1,000mg
7.5mL Delsym (which equates to 45mg dextromethorphan hydrobromide)
2 tablets Dextro-Methamphetamine HCl (each pill contains 5mg)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I'm most interested in learning A.) whether or not I took anything that was incorrect (I realize tolerance is mediated by Ca++ influx but considering my only source of Magnesium was in that combination pill, I took it anyway even though it contains 1,000mg Calcium), B.) whether I should increase, decrease or completely eliminate my dosage of any of the supplements/Delsym and C.) whether or not this regimen, if effective at reducing tolerance to amphetamines, might in any way promote even partial reverse-tolerance (less tolerance to the dopamine agonism but more tolerance to NE agonism since I'll be keeping my dose constant without increasing it).

Thanks, this thread ought to be added to the Best of Bluelight if it's not already!

~ vaya

Have you tried using magnesium?

Yes. I supplement with it in general. No, it didn't stave accrual of tolerance to stimulants or reduce tolerance more quickly during breaks. Now, life circumstances have me on a longer break, which I don't mind.

ebola