⫸STICKY⫷ Drug Studies: Graveyard

Hi all,

My name is Tina and I'm helping run the above study.

The focus group sessions will be held mainly at the State Library (Northbridge) with some sessions held at Curtin University's Health Research Campus at Shenton Park.

It will be much appreciated if you let anyone who is 15-25 know that we are looking for them to participate in this study!

If you have any questions, feel free to post here, PM me or email me at [email protected].

Cheers!

Id love to come but I am in South America right now. But I am sending this round to all my uni mates right now, please tell me if there is another one in June or later. Gracias

Hi tr3jo,

Thanks heaps for letting your uni mates know!

Yes, I'll post again if there are any additional sessions scheduled for June or later.

You should chuck it up in the Australian Drug Discussion as well man, alot of perth guys there

You should chuck it up in the Australian Drug Discussion as well man, alot of perth guys there

This is true, but if we did this, ADD would be awash with research studies. We have a header running links to Drug Studies from ADD, which is our solution... I'll see about getting Tina's study on that header.

Thanks for the suggestions/recommendations about other posting sites, guys.

Also, many thanks to everyone who sent me an email about participating. We’re still recruiting so keep the emails coming!

The focus groups are coming up soon - next week!

We still have spaces available and now all the sessions will be held at the State Library (Northbridge).

Even if you can't make it, it would be *much* *much* *much* appreciated if you could let any 15-25 year olds that you know, that we are recruiting!

Cheers!

I've just went over the survey again and can see no place where you specify the scope of your audience. Are you fine with collecting data from across the globe, or are you only interested in people residing in a specific location?

Thanks!

I just received an update from Melissa. This research project is still being written up. I'll update this thread when we have some results to share. %)

The focus groups have all been completed so recruitment has closed. Thanks again for your interest!

Hey Tina, did you get enough participants? Let us know when you expect to finish writing up the study.

Being curious about whether this study was still open, I followed the link and it went to the 'thank you for participating stage'. I then opened the link through an encrypted web proxy server and was back at the start of the survey.

So, I'm assuming by this that you are collecting IP addresses and using them to allow only people from unique IPs to participate?

I've found in my research on this issue that there are positives and negatives to this practice. One of the negatives may not apply so much to alcohol research - a lot of folks here who are admitting to illicit drug use are concerned about surveys potentially collecting identifiers that could be linked to that sensitive information. Another issue is when different people legitimately want to complete the survey from the same IP address. Of course, the positive is having the confidence to state that no individual from the same IP address completede the survey more than once. I would imagine this would only be important when a financial reward was offered which might tempt people to answer more than once. Otherwise, why would people bother?

[Brisbane] Drugs, crime, harm and policy

I’m looking for 18-26 year old drug users for research in Brisbane, for my PhD Doctorate in Criminology. You will receive a $20 Coles/Myer gift voucher for your time and trouble.

Do you use illicit drugs either recreationally or habitually? If so I’d like to interview you about which drugs you use, why you use them, and how you manage your drug use, eg. How do you use safely and responsibly?

I’d also like to know whether you’ve had any contact you’ve had with the police and courts as a result of your drug use. If so, what happened?

Interviews take up to 60 minutes and I'm looking for up to 20 participants.

If you'd like to be interviewed please contact Margaret on [email protected] or call me on 0418871192.

Thank you very much for your assistance
Margaret

Last edited:
I'm two years too old, otherwise I'd be interviewed.

How many young people are you looking to interview and where will the interview/s take place, how long do you expect them to go for?

Hi LostNfound
thanks for getting back to me. What a shame you can't be two years younger. I'm hoping to find about 20 participants and interviews take up to 60 minutes - generally between 30-60 minutes. The interviews can be done at QUT - otherwise any other public space, such as a park. If you know anyone who might be interested please let them know.

Cheers
Margaret

If it's a qualitative study, perhaps you can interview lostNFound in the first instance --- sometimes qual studies need to adjust their target group to fit into the reality of accessing appropriate participants. It's tricky when you are only funded to do specific research though; often you don't have that kind of flexibility with things like age cut-offs.

This study seems like such a great opportunity. Most studies are focused on negative health effects of drugs so to have a study that focused on consequences of the law is always refreshing in my view.

I will pass your message onto a few QUT students I know that may be eligible under your criteria for interview :)

Thanks Tronica, it is an exciting study. I agree, most studies are only interested in showing how problematic drug use is. I want to do the opposite and show how diverse it is. Hopefully I can also show that most of the harm is caused by legal responses to drug use, rather than the drugs.

I'll see how I go with the age cohort. I might have to extend it to 28 or so.

Cheers
Margaret

If it's a qualitative study, perhaps you can interview lostNFound in the first instance --- sometimes qual studies need to adjust their target group to fit into the reality of accessing appropriate participants. It's tricky when you are only funded to do specific research though; often you don't have that kind of flexibility with things like age cut-offs.

This study seems like such a great opportunity. Most studies are focused on negative health effects of drugs so to have a study that focused on consequences of the law is always refreshing in my view.

thanks heaps lostNfound. I might even extend the age limit if I can't get enough participants. I'll let you know.

I will pass your message onto a few QUT students I know that may be eligible under your criteria for interview :)

I was about to take this survey but then I realized that I don't love the bitch.