⫸STICKY⫷ Drug Studies: Graveyard

I just gave it a try and got to the first question just fine - see if it works now?

[AUS] Using speed/ice, ecstasy or cocaine less often?

My Turning Point colleague, Melissa Reed, has just launched this survey (Australians only).

If you've ever tried to or actually reduced your use of these drugs OR if you've been in treatment OR if you've quit without using official treatment - this survey is for you.

Do you use speed, ice, ecstasy or cocaine?
Have you ever tried to cut down or quit?

We want to hear about your experiences.

Turning Point is conducting an online survey and it can be accessed here: http://www.turningpoint.org.au/research/research_psychostimulant_survey.htm

The survey is anonymous and takes about 10 to 15 minutes to complete.

We appreciate your time and effort and would be grateful if you could forward this survey invitation to your networks.

Please note that only Australian residents are wanted for this survey

Just did the survey.

Didn't like you how you had to choose one maindrug when normally using, many people use some drugs just as much as others, i chose ecstasy (term used as per questionairre) yet my speed use is the same.

And this question

Have you ever tried to stop using or reduce your psychostimulant use in the past? Answering yes, gives the impression you stopped tried stopping because one might have had a problem with usage as it immediately goes onto ask how many times you tried stop rather than a question along the lines of, has stopping regular use ever posed a problem, or similar.

Anyway, not a bad survey, it just gives me the impression that this is mostly targeting addicts who have tried to taper down usage or stop using.

Yup. I completed it myself and had the same concerns: (1) it's artificial to choose a 'main' drug, (2) the question about 'how many times have you tried to quit' doesn't really fit when - for the occasional non-treatment user - it's not necessarily about 'quitting' or 'trying to quit', you just may end up tapering off for circumstantial reasons.

Although there does feel like a treatment group in mind here - contributing to the survey when you (1) never needed treatment (2) never wanted it - at least tells the researchers there is a large group of folks out there who just don't need treatment %)

Just did the survey and found that some of the questions could have had maybe an occasionally and/or sometimes answer instead of yes and no.

just did the survey, they should have a section where you can type a small paragraph, thought it was to basic in its questioning

shit I lost the other window now can't get her to contact me...HEY Tronica tell your friend if she want to contact me no probs P.M me

thanks - have PMed you the details, andreas

yes sir pacman, I would have to agree on the yes/no set of questions. I know why it happens though, researchers are using a 'validated' measure, but it's hard on the respondents to make sure a stark choice, especially if the actually answer is 'rarely'.

When you have stopped using psychostimulants have you felt sad?

When i stopped useing xtc I felt fan fucking tastic :). Prob the only drug where you get rewarded naturally when you give up.

Yeah, I reckon it depends on how you interpret 'stopped'.

eg. if I think of it as something I did all the time and then immediately stopped, then I reckon a lot of those negative emotions may fit

- but after a few weeks of stopping a regular drug activity (or 'taking a break') I think many people (though not all) would be likely to feel good in themselves. IMHO :)

(edit: I'm thinking all drug use here, including alcohol)

harley89, you've missed out on this one for now - study has closed.

Shall be interesting to see results!

Ahhh bugger, would really liked to have taken part in this one aswell.

*bump*

This one is closing soon, so now's the time to complete it if you are interested & eligible.

Me too!

Sometime (before end of year) I'll flick through all the threads and make an effort to contact all the researchers and see where the results are at. Unless they get back to the threads first :)

Finished-was pretty interesting. I'll be curious to know the results.

I have just asked Daniel by email whether his survey is supposed to be back online, as it appeared he had completed it and was writing up... and I want to ensure people aren't completing this survey *after* the data analysis!