• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codeine and pregabalin advice

Gravy56

Greenlighter
Hi, ive got some codeine and pregabalin im going to try. First of all anyone know if this is safe? Second, ive read some places say the pregabalin will potentiate the codeine and orhers sayinfg it will dull. Any experience or advice on this included doses i should try? Relatively little experience with pregabalin and none with codeine, thanks!

Welcome to Bluelight :)

As you don't have any experience with codeine and little with pregabalin I'd suggest you first try them separately so you get a hang on how they make you feel and then you can think about combining them.
For the codeine, if you've never tried it before you should start with a really low dose to check if you're allergic/ have the CYP2D6*UM allele (codeine is metabolized into morphine by CYP2D6 and some people have more than two copies of the gene making them ultrarapid metabolizers, meaning they metabolize a lot of codeine into morphine, which can lead to respiratory depression etc). If you don't have an allergic reaction and if you don't have the feeling that you had trouble breathing you can start with something between 50-100 mg.

Do you have pure codeine pills, or codeine + paracetamol (acetaminophen)/some other active ingredient? If you have codeine + another active ingredient you should check out Cold water extraction as paracetamol for example can damage your liver in high doses.

I have took codeine before at dose of 60mg for pain, didnt seem to affect breathing so dont think im ultra rapid metaboliser, althought it did cause some nausea. I have codeine syrup with no other added medications.

I have also taken prgabalin in doses up to 700mg over a period of about 4/5 hours with no issues. Have mixed it with tramadol which was nice but wonder if it will potentiate or dampen codeine high

Gravy! Please accept a warm welcome from myself and the rest of the community. We are happy to have you :) One thing that I tell every new member (something you were supposed to do anyway, tisk tisk) to do is to check out the various rules and agreements that define in a fairly clear-cut way the type of threads that we encourage and stuff that we are not necessarily about. It can be quite a confusing process. We are a forum about drug use and people are often blindsided by the fact that we don't actually encourage, promote or advise members in matters solely pertaining to a desire to "catch buzz, get high etc."

What does this mean in plain English? We are here to help adults who have made the decision to use drugs, do so safely. We don't like having a reputation that implies we are here to help people get as fucked up as possible. We're Harm Reduction and are dedicated only to the safety of the community. The experiences that you choose to pursue will ultimately be just that, your choice. So, while we are happy to advise you in this current matter, in the future, please try to create threads that are geared more toward Harm Reduction specifically. You have done nothing wrong. Nobody's upset. It's just a friendly reminder.

Regarding Pregabalin (Lyrica) and other Gabapentinoids for that matter, the "Therapeutic Index" is relatively broad. Think of this as a window of sorts, where you have a dosage of a given drug that provides the desired effects. Let's say it's Morphine and the desired effect is analgesia. Well, the dosage of Morphine required for analgesia is not all that far from the dosage that can incapacitate and/or kill. On the other end of the spectrum, if you will, is a drug like Amphetamine. An individual can usually tolerate near-exponential quantities of the drug without facing serious medical complications.

Pregabalin, as I said, has a very broad therapeutic index. It is generally well-tolerated and is not typically lethal, even in "massive overdoses". Gabapentinoids can be sedating to some individuals, but should not contribute to respiratory depression in a medically significant way. You can expect to be more sedated than you would be had you not taken the Pregabalin, but it shouldn't be dangerous. So, that's the safety angle of it. As far as you wanting to get high, that is a totally personal journey. If you decide you want to try something new again and have questions regarding safety, you know where to find us!

P.S. I'm not surprised that this amount of Codeine was underwhelming. It's not a very large dose. It's probably appropriate for mild pain and cough suppression, but don't expect to be intoxicated by what is essentially 6mg Morphine.