• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is taking 8mg of Clonazepam dangerous?

evo4ever

Bluelighter
Hello all.

I've just finished a one week script of Nitrazepam 5mg for insomnia and my doc has now changed me to Clonazepam 2mg. As soon as I got them I popped 4 2mg pills equalling 8mg. I had a little taste of one and it tasted rather minty is that normal? Anyways should I be ok? I do feel wobbly when standing. Am I at risk of blacking out?

Provided you did not mix it with other substances (alcohol, opiates, other downers etc.) it is not dangerous. There is absolutely no risk of overdose from that much Klonopin (again, things change when you mix it). As far as blackouts, I highly doubt it, but it's possible. I don't think there's a specific "blackout" dose -- and I've never personally experienced a "blackout" (at least not what I think you mean by it) on any dose of Klonopin or other benzos but some people have. But I really wouldn't expect any problems aside from feeling drunk-ish and getting super tired, especially since you've already been taking benzos. But if you start stumbling too much or something, just sit/lie down -- don't get yourself hurt.

Also keep in mind that 8mg is a very high dose of Klonopin, even if it is physically safe to take it, and it is far more potent than Nitrazepam -- please do not keep taking that much, you don't want to end up with a nasty benzo habit. There's no real reason to take that much, even if you're trying to catch a buzz -- but I do not think you should abuse your benzos. Trust me, from experience, tolerance develops quite rapidly and the withdrawal is horrible, not to mention dangerous.

And yes, the minty taste is normal. Every brand/dose of it I've ever had was minty.

Last edited:
if you don't mix it with other drugs you are not going to asphyxiate. but yeah you're risking blacking out.

Benzos have a really high therapeutic index, meaning that you can take a lot without any serious side effects (given that you don't have any serious disease that makes it really hard to breath for example). But yes, taking that high of a dose might lead to a black out.
And if you continue down this road of abuse physical dependence and in turn withdrawal can be a serious risk.

Hello all.

I've just finished a one week script of Nitrazepam 5mg for insomnia and my doc has now changed me to Clonazepam 2mg. As soon as I got them I popped 4 2mg pills equalling 8mg. I had a little taste of one and it tasted rather minty is that normal? Anyways should I be ok? I do feel wobbly when standing. Am I at risk of blacking out?

Hey OP! Because I want to help you out the most, I want to just get down to brass tacks here. This is all free of personal judgement. Please keep that in mind. You have a Benzodiazepine prescription now. If you continue this sort of behavior, you won't in the future. Such is the nature of addiction/compulsive drug use that we often convince ourselves that these instances are one-off occasions, but they usually are not. If this is your approach to Benzodiazepine usage, I am surprised that you actually got these in the first place. I can only assume that you're not yet "documented". If you would like to be able to get prescriptions like this in the future, please try to reel it in and become more responsible.

Benzodiazepines are not typically toxic as standalone poisons. If you combine this dosage with even a single alcoholic beverage, an Opioid or whatever, it could easily kill you. Even if death doesn't come by poly-substance intoxication, you could just as easily hit someone with a car/get hit by a car. The issue with blackout is that you are typically still able to do really dangerous shit to others even if you can't remember your own address. If you take 8mg Clonazepam and lock the door to your room and say goodnight, you will most likely not experience anything other than some next-day fog.

If you leave your house, literally anything could happen. Don't take any other drugs tonight man. You say you're struggling with insomnia. Again, no judgement, but I want you to consider what it's like for people who actually can't sleep. They would be desperate for the kind of relief you have and many can't get it due misuse by others. I'm not saying this is you. Maybe it is. Who knows, but the way in which you're using this script implies to me that you're not very serious about actually getting better.

You are going to go through all of these pills and be back at square one. If you stop now, you might be able to regain control over your situation and get some positive benefit from Benzodiazepines, but it's my 99.9% certainty belief that, given what has happened here, Benzodiazepines will be nothing but a detriment to you if you are in charge of your own prescription. Believe me dude, years of heavy Benzodiazepine dependence is not a pretty sight, on multiple levels.

Definitely at risk of blacking out. Please, for the sake of the community around you, don't approach such potentially dangerous drugs with such a cavalier attitude.