• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Coffee and stimulants in opioid overdose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaredborgetti

Bluelighter
I was thinking, in case of a light or not severe opioid overdose, would taking coffee or other stimulants do anything to help you? I remember reading somewhere that probably not but I would like to know specifically why.

Thank you

I mean yea if we're simply talking too fucked up, not in danger of dying type overdose then a stimulant can help but it won't reliably save someone from a potentially lethal OD.

-GC

Afaik there are no studies to answer this question (no ethics commission would allow it) so it's pretty much impossible to answer. As G_Chem said, if you're just a little too fucked up a stimulant may help and it may even increase your respiratory rate, but we can't say for certain

Normally people don't hit a sweet spot right over the edge of OD. This stimulant idea is likely just going to waste time in the case of a heavy overdose and even if it does work once the stimulant wears off you still might be in danger of falling out.

Better off sourcing some narcan if you feel you or someone else's life is going to be in danger.

Stop taking so much. And keep in mind
to not do it any more by using so much all at once.
You are just getting wasted out of your mind and wasting the
medication.

This is just actually just a waste of medication that leads to more
medical needs and leads to overindulgence excessiveness
and wasting resources and energy.

If this is all just a recreational usage type pain relief. Then eventually
overdose can possibly be a result.

For this reason, narcan is now administered.

just use less and dont do so much anymore
because it will just be a waste and lead to a
destructive situation most likely !

try to help to help yourself if you can.
if not, never take more than you need and
make it right to last for another time or day.

I was thinking, in case of a light or not severe opioid overdose, would taking coffee or other stimulants do anything to help you? I remember reading somewhere that probably not but I would like to know specifically why.

Thank you

also try to move around alot and walk and keep
busy to help metabalise it out of your system.
take advantage of the energy but don't overexert.

it shouldnt last too long
it will start to wear off within several hours
it should.

hope you get better !

Thank you

Potentially, yes. If someone was ODing on heroin and you had no naxolone or suboxone on hand and paramedics were taking too long to arrive if you had some cocaine then injecting them with cocaine would be worth a try to bring them back.

Normally people don't hit a sweet spot right over the edge of OD. This stimulant idea is likely just going to waste time in the case of a heavy overdose and even if it does work once the stimulant wears off you still might be in danger of falling out.

Better off sourcing some narcan if you feel you or someone else's life is going to be in danger.

I'm not so sure about that. I think a lot of opiate ODs are actually not too far off into OD land, a lot of times people will struggle to breathe for a while before succumbing. I obviously agree with you that Narcan is the proper procedure but in a hypothetical scenario where it was not available I believe stimulants could be of use. As for your concern that they will go back into the OD when the stimulant wears off, that's certainly valid but more of the stimulant could then be administered. It would also buy more time for the paramedics to arrive or for the body to process some more of the opiate so that maybe when they do go back into OD it will be slightly less intense and they have a better chance of survival.

I

Afaik there are no studies to answer this question (no ethics commission would allow it) so it's pretty much impossible to answer. As G_Chem said, if you're just a little too fucked up a stimulant may help and it may even increase your respiratory rate, but we can't say for certain

How did they find out that narcan works if studies aren't allowed? My guess they theorized it would work based on the effects of narcan and then they tried it out and it did in fact work. There's no reason the same couldn't have been done with stimulants. Narcan wasn't approved until the 70s, how did they treat opioid overdoses before then?

I think animals studies could also go a long way toward answering this question. I am against experimentation on animals and I often think the results do not transfer well to humans but I think in this case if it were shown that stimulants could improve the chances of survival for animals ODing on opioids there would be a significant chance that it would be similar in humans.

I see, sometimes when im feeling the opiate too strongly, I take coffee, and it does seem to reverse the effects a little bit and increase respiratory rate, thats why I was wondering about this, I understand that narcan would be the best option but outside the US and Canada its mostly restricted or unavailable, I also understand that in an extreme overdose this would be unlikely to help but I am under the impression that in a not so severe case it would be helpful.

I am sure there would be tons of volunteers if
the situation was that critical. Leave the animals out anyway
and if someone is desparate enough they would most likely
sign a wavier of release or just beg for their life to began with.

They did the drugs in the first place, why not try out the
remedies as well. You take to much or to many combo's
then you have to get proper relief some how some way

such as anti diarrhea or ex lax. the animals didnt get fuckd
the humans did so do the reverse engeneering to the original
victim of themselves.

you do a handstand then work up to the back flip with harm
reduction and safety precautions, of course.

yes it is alot of gory details. lol. Thnxx !

Lots of stories of performers injecting snowballs, going on stage, then Od'ing in their dressing room after because the coke lasts much shorter than the dope

Lots of stories of performers injecting snowballs, going on stage, then Od'ing in their dressing room after because the coke lasts much shorter than the dope

Right !
So its good to know !

And then TO BE AWARE ��,

Stimulatory stimulants and CNS stimulants are not the same. They can be both, but amphetamines or cocaine do not increase the respiration rate, it doesn't work through dopamine, norepinephrine or serotonin, repiratory stimulants tend to be chemoreceptors agonists, they work peripherically, not through the CNS. And that's what they used before narcan, and that's why barbiturates are so dangerous in overdose, you can try to treat the overdose, but you can't reverse it.
Also, nalorphine was introduced in 1954 and that's what they used for opioid overdoses. Naloxone is shorter lasting and is not a Kappa agonist like nalorphine so it replaced it, but nalorphine was perfectly effective. Nalodeine was discovered in 1915 but I don't think it saw clinical use.

this is absolutely incorrect and will just cause strain on their heart. I have reversed many overdoses. the only thing that can revive someone having an opiate overdose is rescue breathing and naloxone.

Potentially, yes. If someone was ODing on heroin and you had no naxolone or suboxone on hand and paramedics were taking too long to arrive if you had some cocaine then injecting them with cocaine would be worth a try to bring them back.

^^To play Devils advocate, since you have experience.. Have you ever seen or heard of someone overdosing where a bystander tried to use a stimulant? I'm truly curious.

I believe you though, I'd be spending those precious seconds/minutes trying to get naloxone/help. I was given a nasal spray and while I don't shoot heroin anymore it feels good to know it's close.

-GC

this is absolutely incorrect and will just cause strain on their heart.

On what do you base this statement? Have you done studies? I've also read that it's a myth that cocaine combined with opiates is particularly stressful on the heart (I mean at least not much more so than cocaine by itself).

I have reversed many overdoses. the only thing that can revive someone having an opiate overdose is rescue breathing and naloxone.

This is incorrect. Suboxone can actually revive people suffering from opiate overdoses.

I slipped back shooting H after long clean time.Was at cabin with a friend and his girl.Took way too much IV good brown and when i hitted that..last thing i remember was I was thinking or saying out loud that "How can I feel this fucking good". Next memory,I was on couch and my friend is slapping/hitting me on my face and yelling "wake up,you need to WAKE UP NOW YOU OVERDOSED".
The moment i regain consciousness i started to come back fast...sure enough they had injected 0.1mg pure fire Ice on my vein immediatly when they realized I was over and not breathing.
After that i was pretty out almost 3hrs after that wake up call..vomited,hallucinating,moving was almost too hard because the euforia was so strong.
After that I only smoked weed to the point I could sleep.Its weird after that OD I had this sick,something is wrong feeling to the point I dropped out.
And at that time I had zero tolerance to Ice or H.So I would say that if stims are Only option to try to revive someone from serious OD..go for it.It wont heal or stop overdose and caused some serious projectile vomiting to the point I inhaled some acids even thou 2 ppl where helping me to purge it out.

The simple answer is no; stimulantd will not help an overdose. If your jusy over nodding , you could try a solid cup of coffee, but any serious risk and this goes out the window

I want to close this, I just can’t think what anyone could contribute. PM me if you disagree:)

Status
Not open for further replies.