• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiate dependance

Pooopcandy34

Greenlighter
How long does it take to become dependent on opiates(oxycodone 30mg)...iv been buying a pill every other weekend and i usually snort them. I have one pill last me about 2 days...i take anywhere from a week break to 4 days in between snorting....how long will it take me to become dependent and suffer withdrawals?

Depends, on a lot of things. If you managed to miraculously keep this same pattern of use up in the long term then you probably wouldn't get physically addicted, but you'd definitely be mentally hooked.

The reality is that eventually the amount you are using won't satisfy you and at that point you are at a crossroad. You can either use more to satisfy your urge, take a break to let tolerance drop, or admit that you had your run and stop using except maybe on rare occasion. All three imbibe risk of becoming physically and mentally addicted.

I'm not trying to scare you and i'm not judging, this is just how things work and once you start making justifications to use it becomes a slippery slope.

Thanks for the info...yeah its from my friends bottle and he only has 10 left im just doing it for shits and gigs i understand though eventually it all leads downhill no matter how careful you are.

Unfortunately man, this is one of those questions that is going to be really difficult to answer. Also, you are certainly not the first to ask this question and I know you will not be the last. It's pretty much the first thought of every single person who ever uses Opioids... "How can I do this all the fucking time????" It's definitely cool to have all pain, emotional and physical instantly erased. Therein lies the problem.

I don't want to just close your thread man, because I know you're new, but I want you to try to understand why this sort of question is hard to answer. It's not that don't want to answer it. This seems to be what most people think, but we don't field questions like this because there are simply too many variables at play to make any kind of accurate statement. Environment, physiology, dose, diet anon are just a few of the variables at play.

It took me about a year of fairly consistent use before I became completely dependent. Something that further complicates our situation is the Kindling Effect. There is an article on Wikipedia that explains it pretty well, but it doesn't really mention Opioids, but the same effect is clearly in play with drugs other than sedative-hypnotics. After being dependent/abstinent repeatedly over the years, I can now develop a full-blown habit complete with severe withdrawal syndrome following 3-4 days of consistent use.

Hylight, I actually think that what you're referring to is the Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome or PAWS for short. Occasionally, myself and others use the term protracted to describe a withdrawal syndrome that seems to be going on for longer than normal, whatever normal is.

Basically, you start out with the acute phase of withdrawal, which is severe and lasts for a few days or more depending upon the substance you were using and how long said substance's duration of effect was. Once you are over the acute phase of withdrawal, you will regain some functionality and some of the more serious symptoms like nausea, vomiting, fever etc. will abate. However, it will take additional time for your body to actually regain homeostasis.

This last phase varies from person to person and is extremely subjective and will also depend upon variables like duration of dependence, how many times you've withdrawn, quantity used etc. This phase is often characterized by anxiety, depression, apathy and intense craving. Once you actually do regain homeostasis, these symptoms will improve. This is a difficult thing due to its long duration and relapse is certainly not uncommon, but you can handle it.

Im prescribed Oxycodone IR 120mg daily for pain. I've been on it for over 2 years and believe me withdrawal from Oxy ain't nice at all!! If u can keep it to a weekend thing then u should be ok.

Thanks for the advice..i was a opiate addict for years...i was doing way too much. I eventually graduated to H...i was clean for 3 years and thats when i decided to take them here and there iv gone through withdrawals many times...i guess the question i shouldve asked was.."because of my previous addiction and physical dependence, would i become dependent more quickly than someone who never had a dependency?"