• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Benzo Tolerance - Long vs. Short/Medium Half Life

Soulfake

Bluelighter
I was researching this topic over the last weeks but couldn't find any specific information. As far as I read most of the times it seems that long term use of high doses benzos with a short half life can lead to strong withdrawals whose can start as soon as the effects are wearing off. Benzos with long half lifes are said to have a lower chance of severe withdrawals as the plasma levels decrease gradually over a longer time period.

So my question is basically if the accumulation of long half-life benzos can lead to a faster development of tolerance than short acting ones because if you take e.g. 10mg of a benzo with a half life of about 50 hours you still have about half of the dosage still lingering in your body if you take the same dose on the next day (and so on) which leads to accumulation so there is a gradually increasing level of it that binds to/modulates the GABA-A receptors which are trying to compensate it via different mechanisms, which leads to tolerance and withdrawal. When you take a short acting Benzo, for example one with a half life of 3-6 hours there is almost nothing left the next day when you take the same dose at the same time so until then the receptors don't have this constant activation/modulation as with long acting ones.

This came to my mind as I mostly had benzos with only short to medium half lifes in the last 10 years and never had (big) problems with tolerance or withdrawal. I usually try to take them not every day but when I took them daily I always stopped after a few month's by gradually decreasing the dose.

Now I had some long acting ones over the last year (Diazepam, (Nor-)Flurazepam and Diclazepam) which are much more complicated to handle for me than the short to medium acting ones. If I take one dose at the first day I can feel the effects until the next evening but to get a good sleep (or a good recreational/relaxing effect) I still need another dose, over a few days/weeks I always felt less and less effects as/although there was probably quite much accumulation especially from the (Nor-)Flurazepam and it's quite hard to "feel" how strong the tolerance is getting as I never get to a zero-level and I don't know how one could calculate the exact accumulation with different doses each day and how much of the substance is still active as it also feels more and more subtle.

Does anyone know something about the pharmacology of what I described or has some links to research papers or studies describing it in detail? So far I think that the long-acting ones seem to induce tolerance faster but are easier to taper off - but for the price that the tolerance can get much higher through accumulation in contrast to the short and medium acting ones (in the context of more or less "medicinal" doses). Could this be correct or did I get something wrong about the pharmacology? I'd also like to know how the accumulation until a steady-state level is reached works in detail as I couldn't find much information about this, especially with very long half lifes of 100-250 hours.

Last edited: