• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - Opinion: Opioids after wisdom teeth removal should be a last resort

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Opioids after wisdom teeth removal should be a last resort, not a routine prescription
Amy Ma and Susan Sutherland
CBC
January 4th, 2019

Removing wisdom teeth is considered by many as a rite of passage for teenagers and young adults. It is one of the most common surgical procedures done in young people aged 16 to 24.

Percocet after minor oral surgery should not be an expectation of teenaged patients. Persistent opioid use after elective surgery, such wisdom teeth removal, poses a dependency risk, especially in young people whose brains are developing and are highly susceptible to the effects of opioids. Leftover opioids are equally dangerous, particularly for teens who might be tempted to experiment or share with friends and family members.

Dentists and oral surgeons have a critical role to play here as one of the leading prescribers of opioids to young people. An American study published in early December found that dentists are the leading source of opioid prescriptions for children and adolescents aged 10 to 19 years in the United States. Dental prescriptions account for over 30 per cent of all opioid prescriptions in this age group.

This study also found that young people who received opioid prescriptions after wisdom tooth extraction were more likely to be using opioids three months and one year later, as compared to their peers who did not get an opioid.

The evidence is clear: a short prescription for opioids poses a real risk of ongoing opioid use for teenagers.

Read the full story here.

Percocet for wisdom teeth extraction that doesn't have any complications is just unnecessary. I got all 4 out at once and they gave me Darvocet. I didn't even take them all.

Yeah, I got Percocet when I got mine taken out (as a teenager) and would have been fine without them. In general I'm apprehensive about physicians trying to avoid opioid prescriptions at all costs, but in this specific case I think it's reasonable to at least not prescribe them by default. Obviously, if the patient comes back because they are in a lot of pain, then opioids will be necessary.

I agree. Or have the standard be Tramadol or some other weak opioid, and only if necessary. Most 15-16 year olds don't have weakened livers and don't drink alcohol so taking an NSAID shouldn't be an issue.

I'm of the opposite opinion. I had 4 impacted ones taken out and it was hell. It looked like I got beat with a baseball bat to the face. The Demerol I got was very necessary. I didn't become an opiate addict until years later. That surgery had zero to do with it

I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth and they gave me percocet AND vicodin, a full prescription of each. I had enough pills to last over a month of pain. Clearly i was overprescribed but for some people it is necessary and i would have been in quite a bit of pain if it wasn't for them.

I think if they're impacted it's already worse, but they give out oxy/hydro to people who aren't even impacted.

This is the country giving addicts dilaudid to slam. We have reached absurdity folks