• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC), amphetamines, NMDA, glutamate, bi-polar, and schizo - Cure?

cryptix420

Bluelighter
Howdy all,

I've been intensely fascinated by this [incredibly affordable and accessible at virtually every health foods store] supplement called N-acetyl-cysteine, or NAC. I used it years ago when I heard it was a great think to take before drinking alcohol to prevent a hangover (it is true), but never knew it had such a plethora of other impressive (and relevant to me) benefits. Although, there are probably certain entities *coughbigpharmacough* that would rather people didn't know about all this.

The WHO requires that any hospital or similar institution keep NAC on hand in case of alcohol or acetaminophen/paracetamol (Tylenol) poisoning. When overdosing on acetaminophen, the toxic metabolites consume all of the liver's glutathione (one of the most important endogenous antioxidants) and then these by-products build up and cause permanent damage to liver cells. NAC is so magical because it is a direct precursor (or very close to one) to glutathione.

Actually, don't quote me on that - I know that NAC donates cysteine (a sulfur containing amino acid) to the body, and it may be that cysteine is needed to produce glutathione, but it serves other functions as well.

I've come across some studies lately that say some very, very interesting things about NAC, such as that it treats:

• Major depressive disorder
  • Bipolar disorder
  • Drug addiction
  • Obsessive-compulsive disorder
  • Autism
  • Schizophrenia
  • Alzheimer's disease
  • Certain forms of epilepsy

Here's a couple of those studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3044191/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29126981

But what REALLY caught my attention, is that supposedly NAC can prevent dopamine loss related to meth/amphetamines. This is huge!! (if true)

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/pd/2012/424285/

We all know it's usually pointless to tell someone to 'stop taking drugs' even if it's ruining their health and life. But, if someone in that situation could simply pop a pill, with benefits this enormous....I mean, let's spread the word eh?

It just seems the implications of this substance are huge for many, many people - especially in our community here at Bluelight. Personally, I have noticed a sharp decline in paranoid thoughts since taking this stuff. From my research, it appeared I was dosing too low in the past to gain these benefits. Upwards of 2g a day seems to be a good place to get started.

While I couldn't quite gain an understanding from reading the research, it also seems that NAC has beneficial effects on NMDA receptors and glutamate activity - which sounds like it good be a very good thing for anyone who has gone a bit too far with dissociatives.

P.S. - Just in case anybody reading this decides to try NAC to prevent alcohol hangovers, I remember reading somewhere that taking NAC before drinking alcohol drastically reduced toxicity, but taking NAC after beginning alcohol consumption led to increased toxicity. I can't say for sure it's true, but just wanted to put that out there.

Much Love, Bluelighters.

Last edited:
The increased toxicity if taken after alcohol is true per some mice studies, dont know in humans, I have taken NAC up to 1g a day for several days and havent noticed anything in regards to that, but it would sometimes give me anxiety 30 mins after taking it and it would last for maybe 1 or 2 hours, I believe it has proven ineffective for most of the things you list but still a great all around supplement, some people swear by it improving anxiety and other mental disorders, so maybe my experience just wasnt good but it seems to work in at least some people as a placebo at the very minimum.

But what REALLY caught my attention, is that supposedly NAC can prevent dopamine loss related to meth/amphetamines. This is huge!! (if true)

I stumbled over the same kind of NAC studies, promoting all sort of positive outcomes by simply taking huge amounts of that cough'n'cold remedy ... but I am pretty much desillusionated now. Maybe I've just tried too little, in duration & dosage, but what sounds like an undiscovered ultimate supplement, well... it might help something, but it's not that earth-shattering.

Can't hurt to try it out though. Just that in contrast to the NMDA antagonists, e.g. memantine- where the anti-tolerance effect is pronounced and reliable, and comes with some side effects - here it's more subtle.

Remember that NAC has a very poor bioavailability and afaik there's no simple way around that. And it tastes awful (tablets exist, but every cheap NAC product appears to come as effervescent tablets, even granulate is very expensive, at least around here. For supplementing in the required dosages, it's probably best to buy in bulk & make caps by yourself.)

In psychiatry they picked it up and give NAC to cocaine addicts, to aid with the cravings. But they say to use 600mg/d, like for cough, cause it's the only approved use and dosage. And with that limit, it's supposed to fail. :(

Last edited:
Well I do want to say that sourcing is definitely important. Country Life is a reputable company, and they don't charge much for substantial amounts of NAC - especially on Amazon. [does this count as sourcing talk? Lol sort of a joke]

Also, I think one of the biggest issues surrounding the usage of NAC is underdosing. I did a little digging recently, and after the research I read I decided to experiment with taking 2g twice a day - sometimes even 5g a day. One of the most unexpected results has been the complete cessation of nail biting. I have been biting my nails for as long as I can remember, and even as I sit here and type this it's a bit weird to get used to the feeling of having nails on my fingers lol.

I have read this may have something to do with the effect NAC has on glutamate activity, in relation to impulse control. It is freakish how much I do not care about biting my nails. I mean for real I've had the habit for so long, that I almost feel like something is wrong because I'm not biting them. Nails are actually pretty cool though, quite a few benefits. They do feel much more sturdy as well.

I read recently that it's wise to make sure your Vitamin C intake is sufficient when taking NAC to avoid kidney stones. I forget the exact reasoning, but there you have it.

Because NAC contains cysteine which in its crude form can cause cysteine stones but NAC is extremely unlikely to cause cysteine stones because its much more stable to oxidation than cysteine so this shouldnt be a problem, but it wouldnt hurt to take vitamin c to make sure and extra water.