• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Has anyone had oil/butter from the Magical Butter Machine tested?

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
I picked up an MBM a few weeks ago because it was costing too much $$ buying from my LP. I made one batch of butter (decarbed the weed for 30 minutes at 240F) with 1 lb of butter and 1 oz of greenhouse bud. The bud is okay (about 15% THC), but the butter - zero effect for 1 brownie. I mean, I know the next step is to try 2 brownies; but I'm figuring something went wrong.

Is my decarb not long enough or wrong temperature? I didn't use Lecithin as an emulsifier; is this an issue also? Any ideas - because I'm gun shy making another batch w/o figuring what went wrong.

thanks

Tom

Hey Tom how long was the decarbed weed and butter together in the machine?

Everything you said sounds correct, but edibles have always been hit-or-miss for me as well. If you do try another batch I would maybe try letting the butter and weed sit for as long as possible in the machine.

If the machine had a really long cycle I would almost be tempted to try and decarb inside the machine and not the oven.

Finally, decarboxylation studies with pure THCA-A showed clearly that Δ9-THC was the only decomposition product observed after heating at 110?C for 40 min.

According to this study 230 degrees fahrenheit for 40 min was the ideal decarb in an oven so you might want to extend the decarb just a little. Hope this helps somewhat!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5549281/

if we're talking already cured bud, the problem is not your decarb. that step does not make or break a batch of brownies. this is heresy, but i skip it. never used lecithin either.

problem might be not enough heat in the extraction. their website says set the temp to 160 degrees. that's a pretty low temp. you check it with a thermometer to make sure it got to and stayed around at least that temp?

i use two sticks of butter for one batch of brownies. double boil the first stick for a couple hours, then strain to get the bud back and straight boil it in the second stick for a few minutes. don't filter the weed out (unless it was mids and/or you used a ton. then i add water to the butter for the double boil and water strain it all at the end). delicious.

Last edited:
The decarbed weed/MBM didn’t work (I think).

There really is no way to actually check the temperature when the machine is running because it is sealed; but yeah, there are other temperature settings than 160F. They do mention being able to decry inside the machine, but I’ve oven decarbed on a flat baking sheet before - with success. I used to keep decarbed weed on hand somI could easily use it in capsules.

But I’m gun shy about using another ounce.

SheWasLvL18; the machine has 1, 2 and 4 hour settings. So I guess the next move is to change it to a 4 hour extraction.

Also I might try decarbing for a bit longer.

Tom

I don't think you de-carbed for long enough, 45 minutes up to 90 minutes.