• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Perampanel and dissociation

dopamimetic

Bluelighter
According to its wikipedia article, Perampanel causes dissociation similar to ketamine. How is this possible, when afaik the mechanism behind dissociatives is NMDA, and not AMPA antagonism? Might perampanel just be not that selective for AMPA receptors?

Also, it does have psychiatric side effects that do not correlate to whether persons do have history of such symptoms of not. Means that a certain percentage becomes antisocial that was not before, but also that some people with history of psychiatric illness (as usual, they aren't exactly specific to what nature of psychiatric illness - e.g. antisociality is VERY different from hearing voices) do NOT get these antisocial / aggressive side effects. Maybe these who don't just get a clean nice dissociation from perampanel, and it might be worth trying in a controlled environment?

The only other AMPA antagonist I know of is topiramate (?) and this one made me very forgetful at low dosages so I did not go higher. Was nicely psychedelic when mixed with tiagabine and pregabalin though (devilment of youth).