• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Does weed cause bronchitis?

Eh, I would imagine it would do more harm than good to your lungs.

On the other hand, I've read cases where individuals claim it actually helped with their bronchitis..

But if we go based on studies done, "One interesting finding is that when comparing tobacco and cannabis smokers, the chronic respiratory symptoms of a cannabis smoker were similar to a tobacco smoker who had smoked for an additional 10 years". - Joshi M, Joshi A, Bartter T. Marijuana and lung diseases. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2014;20(2):173-179. doi:10.1097/MCP.0000000000000026.

Although, cannabis giving one a 2-3 times better chance of developing chronic brochitiis symptoms compared to the average non-smoker.

Aside from all this, how often do you smoke?

Edit - Sorry for the long-winded, non-answer. I vote yes.

Last edited:
Yes it does, smoking in general does as the crud that settles lower in the lung will eventually need out so its normal. Get an expectorant.

Any inhaled burning substance is no bueno for your lungs. It causes bronchospasm in your lungs making you cough, even if you're an occasional smoker all the way to a heavy smoker. My husband smokes a shitload of weed and has a "smokers cough" and it makes me nuts lol (I don't smoke). Just having the coughing, doesn't indicate bronchitis though. Bronchitis can be acute, as in the result of an infection that will pass (viral) or need antibiotics (bacterial), or chronic, which would be long term lung disease. How long have you been smoking? How frequently? If you smoke from a pipe vs bong vs blunt or dab or vape, does it affect your coughing at all? Is your cough wet with mucous (more indicative of bronchitis)? If it is dry, it's probably irritation/inflammation. Do you have asthma?

Yes, anything that irritates the airway can cause bronchitis. So that'd include vaping as well as smoking although vaping is probably less harmful it is still linked to COPD(popcorn lungs). Our body isn't designed to inhale anything besides fresh air.

I guess copd is different than copd but I wouldn't go as far as to say they have nothing to do with each other.

Smoking and vaping has been said to be linked to both disorders.

Last edited:
I guess copd is different than copd but I wouldn't go as far as to say they have nothing to do with each other.

Smoking and vaping has been said to be linked to both disorders.

I think you're thinking of e-cig/liquid vaping, some of those use diacetyl which is the only known cause for popcorn lung. The only dangerous thing I know about vaping below combustion temperatures is a small amount of benzene is released above 392F when using a vaporizer. I'm aware of this risk and it doesn't bother me because I'm absolutely positive it's many times less than the amount you'd get with smoking, and smoking weed is far less harmful than cigarettes already (mainly because you don't smoke a pack of joints a day). That and if I vaped a gram in a week that would be a super heavy week for me.

bronchiolitis obliterans is popcorn lung, and there are far more than one known cause.

Bronchiolitis obliterans has many possible causes, including collagen vascular disease, transplant rejection in organ transplant patients, viral infection (respiratory syncytial virus, adenovirus, HIV, cytomegalovirus), Stevens-Johnson syndrome, Pneumocystis pneumonia, drug reaction, aspiration and complications of prematurity (bronchopulmonary dysplasia), and exposure to toxic fumes, including diacetyl, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, ammonia, chlorine, thionyl chloride, methyl isocyanate, hydrogen fluoride, hydrogen bromide, hydrogen chloride, hydrogen sulfide, phosgene, polyamide-amine dyes, mustard gas and ozone[citation needed]. It can also be present in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.[9] Certain orally administrated emergency medications, such as activated charcoal, have been known to cause it when aspirated.[10] The ingestion of large doses of papaverine in the vegetable Sauropus androgynus has caused it.[11] Additionally, the disorder may be idiopathic (without known cause)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchiolitis_obliterans

Anyways, they're both disease of the airways that are the result of inhaling harmful things. Even though the wiki article doesn't state smoking specifically, I'm not convinced it couldn't be a possible cause. I don't really know enough to argue any further than that, and I don't think it really matters for this thread. They're both a type of bronchitis, but I was wrong to say they are the same. I thought popcorn lung was a slang term for copd.

I cough awfully when I smoke. When I took my last tolerance break, I was smoking flower, not resin, and I coughed up stuff for days. This tolerance break when I use vape resin, I haven't coughed anything up at all. So I think the flower leaves deposits that can be cleared out, and the resin either stays in forever or leaves nothing. Not sure!

Thanks for all the info, everyone! To answer some of y'alls questions, I started smoking weed when I was 15 and have been smoking it (flower) daily since my late-teens. I'm 29 now. When I go through coughing fits, it is often mucousy. :(