• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Kansas Supreme Court: Cops Can Search Home Without Warrant If They Smell Pot

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Kansas Supreme Court Says Cops Can Search Your Home Without a Warrant If They Claim It Smells Like Pot
Jacob Sullum
Reason
December 24th, 2018

Five years ago the U.S. Supreme Court refused to endorse a principle that could have allowed any cop with a dog to search any home. The court ruled that deploying a drug-detecting canine at the doorstep of a suspected marijuana grower's house in the hope of obtaining probable cause for a warrant (which requires nothing more than a claim that the dog "alerted") itself constitutes a search under the Fourth Amendment.

But what if a cop without a dog claims his own nose detects marijuana inside a home? In that case, the Kansas Supreme Court recently ruled, the alleged odor provides probable cause for a search, which the cop can execute without waiting for a warrant if he says he was afraid the contraband he thought he smelled might be hidden or destroyed in the interim. In practice, the 4-to-3 decision, issued on December 7, gives police carte blanche to search any home at will.

If you doubt that characterization, consider the dubiousness of the odor that supposedly justified a search of Lawrence Hubbard's apartment. Lawrence, Kansas, police officer Kimberly Nicholson followed Hubbard home after mistaking him for someone with an arrest warrant. As Hubbard exited his apartment to clear up the misunderstanding, Nicholson testified, she "smelled a strong odor of raw marijuana emanating from the apartment." She claimed she was standing about two feet from the front door, while Hubbard said it was more like six or seven feet.

What police ultimately discovered was 25 grams (less than an ounce) of marijuana, which was inside a sealed plastic container, inside a locked safe, inside a bedroom closet about 30 feet from where Nicholson was standing. The cops also found "a small amount of marijuana on a partially burnt cigarillo in the living room," which would have smelled like burnt marijuana, not "raw marijuana" (by which Nicholson presumably meant cured marijuana, as opposed to growing or freshly harvested plants). Another officer, Ronald Ivener, nevertheless testified that he also smelled "raw marijuana" while standing outside the apartment, an odor he described as "potent" and "overwhelming."

You might speculate that Nicholson caught a whiff of the cigarillo as Hubbard opened his door and confused the smell of burnt marijuana with the smell of "raw marijuana." But that hardly seems possible in light of Nicholson's extensive training and experience. "As part of her law enforcement training and while in her official capacity," the trial judge noted, "Officer Nicholson has detected the smell of raw marijuana 200 to 500 times and burnt MJ 100 to 300 times." So either she was exaggerating her ability to distinguish "raw marijuana" from burnt marijuana by odor, or she was asserting a superhuman (and maybe even supercanine) ability to detect Hubbard's triply contained stash from a distance of 30 feet.

Read the full story here.

Didn't read the full story but that's the most unconstitutional law EVER.

Good thing I live in a more liberal state that will probably decriminalize it soon.

Leave it to those midwest and southern states to have cruel and ass backwards policies.

Good thing I live in a more liberal state that will probably decriminalize it soon.

One of the best unintended consequences of cannabis legalization is that police won't be able to search people, their cars, or their homes anymore based on dubious claims of smelling pot.

Lotta the midwest has it decriminalized already... just a fine.

lots of police safety sources say do not open your door for the police. if they're allowed to enter, they will; you have no obligation to open the door for them.

kinda a crazy and awkward thing to do when there's a cop standing outside your door. the few times i've had the police show up -- all for parties when i was younger -- i stepped out and closed my door behind me to talk to them. but i've read many times you should not answer and i know of one instance where people hid in the basement after a serious incident -- a big fight one the street in front of the house that ended with gunshots, no one hit -- and the police eventually left and did not return. after an hour of pounding on every door and window and threatening to break the door down. no arrests ever made in that scenario. not even a follow up by a detective or anything.

"I smell weed" is an old favorite of law enforcement right before they violate the 4th amendment

This ruling is absolutely outrageous, especially when it comes from those who claim to be for smaller government.

This will go to the Supreme Court for sure. I feel bad for people in that state now.

Half of plants smell like pot. So basically anyone's house can be searched is what this law is

Half of plants smell like pot. So basically anyone's house can be searched is what this law is

Yep. Cops will just lie and most judges will allow them too. It's the same thing they do now with car searches.