• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Tools for Conquering Cravings

ExInMil

Bluelighter
Hey Everyone,
Long time no post! Happy to report I will have been two years clean from IV heroin (short of a 3 week relapse, no needles, when I found out a family member had cancer) on Jan 8th.

Recently I met a girl who is also an ex-junkie. Obviously one of our shared mutual interests is doing drugs.

Prior to meeting her I had been using cocaine every once in a while when I drank. She has turned me on to crack, which prior to meeting her, I had used only a handful of times and never enjoyed.

Now I have a good job and can afford to pick up $40-60 few times a week, the thing is I can see this turning bad.
In fact I told myself no more, yet I go and pick up.

I am here seeking your advice on how to conquer cravings.
I will start:
What has helped me before when a craving hits, is telling myself "Yes you want "drug-x", so what? Wanting is does not mean you have to go get it..." Externalizing in this way, I have talked myself down.

What have been some of your coping mechanisms?

grow cacti as I was told by another member on here. It's good, it keeps you sorta busy because you only have to water them once a week, it's cool slowly watching them grow. Buy some you'll see what I mean.

grow cacti as I was told by another member on here. It's good, it keeps you sorta busy because you only have to water them once a week, it's cool slowly watching them grow. Buy some you'll see what I mean.
I feel like that is a metaphor or allusion to something I am missing, but if you mean that literally, I guess the only thing I stand to lose is the.... i am assuming.... seven dollars.... for a cactus.....?

Unexpected answer, I will give it a shot.....

No nothing like that. I meant that literally. I will find you the link soon.

Can't find the link but it's a good hobby and like I said watching them grow the big spikey ones are cool!
it takes you're mind off shit. for me anyway.

ExInMil, the best tool for combating cravings is something i learned in intensive outpatient therapy when I was getting off heroin many years ago. The cognitive behavioral therapy actually did work for me. One of the things they taught is to mentally fast forward to when the money and drugs are gone, if you were to act on the craving. Think about the comedown or low feeling the next morning or whenever, and how you've spent that money. Focus on the aftermath of giving in to your craving, rather than the brief enjoyment you'd get. This method worked best for me if I recognized and addressed the craving thoughts early. Don't allow yourself to forget that there are consequences to using.... And you are right when you say you see it going bad. Continually occasionally using a drug like crack never ends up going well. I've been there with crack and heroin. The farther you go, the more you let it become an accepted part of your life (even if only weekly), the less likely it becomes that you'll choose to stop before your life or mental health is a mess. I give you A LOT of credit for seeking ways to cope with cravings! In fact, your post helped encourage me to seriously focus on handling cravings, since I've relapsed several times in the last few months due to depression. Keep us updated and take care of yourself. ☺

ExInMil, the best tool for combating cravings is something i learned in intensive outpatient therapy when I was getting off heroin many years ago. The cognitive behavioral therapy actually did work for me. One of the things they taught is to mentally fast forward to when the money and drugs are gone, if you were to act on the craving. Think about the comedown or low feeling the next morning or whenever, and how you've spent that money. Focus on the aftermath of giving in to your craving, rather than the brief enjoyment you'd get. This method worked best for me if I recognized and addressed the craving thoughts early. Don't allow yourself to forget that there are consequences to using.... And you are right when you say you see it going bad. Continually occasionally using a drug like crack never ends up going well. I've been there with crack and heroin. The farther you go, the more you let it become an accepted part of your life (even if only weekly), the less likely it becomes that you'll choose to stop before your life or mental health is a mess. I give you A LOT of credit for seeking ways to cope with cravings! In fact, your post helped encourage me to seriously focus on handling cravings, since I've relapsed several times in the last few months due to depression. Keep us updated and take care of yourself. ☺

Yep! That will go into my toolbox as well. Thanks for the sage advice, hope you nip yours in the bud as well my friend.

By the way, the Mil in my name.... is Milwaukee.. small world

Haha, damn small! Shoot me a msg anytime and keep on trying to be well.