• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can Targin (Oxycodone/Naloxone) be Safely Taken With Methadone?

labloah

Greenlighter
I'm on long term methadone maintenance therapy, currently taking 30mg per day. I have a severely infected wisdom tooth and until I can get to the dentist and get it sorted in the coming days, I'm trying to manage the pain. An acquaintance gave me some Targin 5/2.5mg tablets (oxycodone/naloxone). The presence of the naloxone scares me, given I know little about naloxone and precipitated withdrawals. I'm finding it hard to find conclusive info online, especially about Targin combined with methadone. I've read that Targin when taken on its own orally won't affect opiate receptors in the brain, but rather in the gut (the naloxone apparently prevents opioid constipation), so it doesn't block the oxycodone effects. However I'm not sure if this refers just to the how it combines with the oxycodone only, or if it will have an adverse effect with the methadone. The last thing I want is to be thrown into precipitated withdrawals while I'm already putting up with this pain.

Also, I have no intention of shooting, snorting, crushing etc. I've read people doing so have gone into PW with this, so that's not even on the table. But I would like to find out if swallowing the tablets are safe.

If you have taken oral Targin and methadone together, I would love your input please.

Targin can initially provoke withdrawal symptoms in opioid tolerant individuals. I found several sources that clearly state Targin should not be used by those dependent upon opioids or who are being treated for narcotic WD. Do not mix the two medications.

Try some APAP or ibuprofen for the pain. The source below discusses the liklyhood of PWD in the first pharmacology section. It mentions those stabilized on methadone.

https://gp2u.com.au/static/pdf/T/TARGIN-PI.pdf

Last edited: