• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis and dreams

HepcatB

Greenlighter
I smoke cannabis flower almost every day. On some nights I dream but not every night and these dreams are usually not particularly intense or memorable. If I abruptly quit smoking, in 2 or 3 months, I start having bizarre, realistic, vivid but usually pleasant dreams that gain in intensity the cleaner I get. Some of these dreams are lucid dreams and they are often sexual in nature, which is always a delight. When I'm dreaming about sex, it feels more real in my dream than the real thing does. When I start smoking every day again the dreams decrease in realism and frequency until I get back to "normal".

I also want to add that I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. It helps but isn't a cure. When I had a sleep study done, my REM latency was 330 minutes which is very severe. My REM AHI (the number of times I stopped breathing during REM sleep per hour) was over 100, which is extremely high. I wasn't actually in REM for an hour but the machine calculated the time I was in REM with the number of apneas I had when I was in REM and calculate how many apneas I would have had had I actually been in REM sleep for an hour. I would think since the CPAP machine was preventing me from having as many apneas and I would be able to spend more time dreaming because I wouldn't be getting woke up every 45 seconds and A defective throat structure coupled with shitty but handsome DNA ensures that I am never going to father any children. I had 77 obstructive apneas that night and 21 central apneas. An obstructive apnea is when the throat is malformed and the flaps that are supposed to relax tense up and block off the passageway from the mouth/nose to the lungs. This blockage is breached when the sufferer coughs or performs another action that unblocks the passageway. A central apnea is basically when you forget to breathe. Some brains have a quirk that causes the brain to fail to send the BREATHE signal to the lungs and they therefore stop breathing. I don't know if the 21 central apneas I had that night should concern me or not.

I also want to add that I take 10mg of Ambien and 10mg of melatonin right before I go to bed. I don't usually have much trouble getting to sleep as long as I have my Ambien. Without it I'm a zombie. I've taken Ambien for about 10 years now (I know, I know, don't use sleeping pills for long periods of time. I am probably addicted to Ambien and will probably have to take it for the rest of my life but it is the only thing that allows me to sleep. So the Ambien might have an influence on dreams as well.

What are some of your experiences with dreaming while stoned?

I too tend to get more vivid and memorable dreams when I have been sober. Most times when I go to bed stoned I don't remember my dreams.

If I haven't smoked in a long time and then smoke and sleep I seem to just get strange almost "distant" dreams. When smoking daily I can't remember any of my dreams. The most interesting thing though is when I stop smoking(it takes a few days) I'll begin to have extremely vivid dreams that I have no trouble remembering the next morning on about day three of abstinence from smoking. Weird enough it also seems to give me a higher frequency of nightmares(had them most of my life) when I start to stop for a t-break.

I too tend to get more vivid and memorable dreams when I have been sober. Most times when I go to bed stoned I don't remember my dreams.

I somewhat notice this, but when I do have more vivid dreams I remember them perfectly fine and they definitely aren't any less vivid. I believe if anything, weed seems to affect dreams just because it seriously affects your short term memory.

Sometimes when I take a break, I seem to have endless dreams all night for a week or two, and sometimes I don't have any noticeable difference in frequency, vividness or recall at all.

I've just hit my ninth year of daily use. When I stop it takes a week or more, now before the vivid dreams begin. It used to be by day 3 or 4. I still dream regularly at night and have average retention while using, only for about 30 days after stopping do I keep having more vivid and lucid dreams. While using I have more lucid dreams now after 9 years then I did for the first 6 years.

I would say my short term memory is comparable to not using. Which is good but it wasn't always, years of use have made it far less recreational but far more beneficial.

I quit at least once a year just for the week of great detox dreams now. It's crazy but those dreams are far closer to acid trips and I only get them from detoxing.

I believe if anything, weed seems to affect dreams just because it seriously affects your short term memory.

I'd buy that.

Can definitely vouch on the short term memory impairment.

Dreams are often short if not sporadic so following one would probably take a lot of attention.

I find that this used to be the case for me. I would smoke for a while and then when I stopped I would get sweaty vivid dreams for a couple of days. Since I switched to just using a dry herb vape this is no longer the case. I still get some dream suppression when using daily but nowhere as bad as I used to. I wonder how much is to do with the mix of cannabis and tobacco?

It's been shown to reduce REM sleep, which is when you dream.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18313952

Even though weed helps me fall asleep, not having the normal amount of REM sleep effects my overall well being. Dreams are important for mental health.

I get REM rebound whenever I quit for a couple days, it's pretty much guaranteed I'll have very vivid dreams within a few days.

This kind of thread comes up at least once a year.

I'm always amazed at how the majority of cannabis users report that cannabis either eliminates their daily dreams or severely dampers them.

I smoke every day, I get high every night before bed. Every night I dream. Every morning I wake up and can remember those dreams in vivid detail, to the point where I've even mapped out how certain dreamscapes/locales connect in my dreams and which places in real life that they correlate with.

I feel so much pity for people who can't dream and smoke. For a while, my dreams were literally the only thing I looked forward to every day.

Is that why I always wake up tired the day after smoking? Lack of REM?

That's probably got a lot to do with it. I'm also a firm believer in the weed hangover, though, which shall henceforth be dubbed a "highover."

I rarely dream but I don't really miss it, tbh...never much enjoyed dreams. Dream suppression is a welcome side-effect of cannabis use for me personally.

When I smoke I get a feeling of lethargy the next day, when I use edibles I don't get a "highover". It's a very distinct waking difference so I only smoke when I'm between stints of work. I don't set myself any hard and fast rules but I tend to go off smoking a few days before work begins and only use edibles. No bad mornings and no lethargy.