• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Starting dose of edibles

HepcatB

Greenlighter
I am about to make my first trip to a dispensary and I am going to try the edibles. I've had edibles before but they were always homemade and the THC content was anybody's guess. What is a good first dose to start out on? I am a pretty big guy and I smoke dried cannabis flower nearly every day so I have a bit of a tolerance. A few years ago I was at a party and I bought a brownie and the guy I got it from said whatever you do, only eat half of it. So of course, I ate the whole thing. I had a good experience, which was amplified with some fresh psilocybin mushrooms. I'm not afraid of the edibles being strong, I just don't want them to make me sick. I know that I risked having a bad trip when I ate that brownie but I got lucky. I don't want to take that risk this time. I read that if you take edibles, wait at least 2 hours before re-dosing. I'm certainly not going to push my limits. I'm going to make sure that I'm in a safe, comfortable environment to keep the chances of a bad experience to a minimum. What kinds of edibles do you prefer? I am thinking about trying the gummy bears first.

I'm excited by the prospect of buying weed at a dispensary instead of off the streets. When you get it from a dispensary, you can choose from many different strains. If you get it off the street, you get what your guy just happens to have at the time. I am going to experiment with different strains. I am going to find a strain to give me energy when I get up, a strain to help me focus in the middle of the day, a strain that makes your sense of taste more pronounced for dinner, a relaxing strain for prime time and a sleepy strain to go to sleep. I can't wait.

5mg is the gold standard for low tolerance people, I believe. If you're a real lightweight 2.5mg (half of a 5mg edible, duh) is good to start with. But I know insane people who are basically breathing in THC 24/7 and can go on the order of 1000-2000mg before feeling anything. Definitely don't start there though. That's insane. You'd probably end up in the hospital feeling like complete shit if nothing else.

If you smoke pretty often I would go for something around 75 mg, but it never hurts to start small. Ideally, you could get multiple 25 mg edibles and take one or two and another later if you wanted to.

Back in prop 215 California most places where using 25 mg as a "dose" so if you bought a "quad dose edible" you were getting 100 mg.

Unless you're smoking like an eighth+ a day a 500 mg edible is very intense and I would compare it's recreational value to something like mushrooms: It's fun, but not really functional.