• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Does the Law Require the Drug Czar To Lie About Legalization?

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Does the Law Require the Drug Czar To Lie About Legalization?
Jacob Sullum
Reason
December 13th, 2018

...In an August 30 letter to ONDCP Acting Director James Carroll, Bennet expressed concern that the Trump administration was "cherry-picking data to support pre-ordained and misinformed conclusions on marijuana."

"I assure you that the ONDCP seeks all perspectives, positive or negative, when formulating Administration policy," Carroll responded, according to Bennet. "You have my full and firm commitment that ONDCP will be completely objective and dispassionate in collecting all relevant facts and peer-reviewed scientific research on all drugs, including marijuana."

Such evenhandedness would be hard to reconcile with a requirement imposed by the ONDCP Reauthorization Act of 1998, which Congress passed two years after California became the first state to legalize marijuana for medical use. The provision says the director of that office shall "take such actions as necessary to oppose any attempt to legalize the use of a substance" that is listed in Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act--as marijuana is--unless the Food and Drug Administration has approved it for medical purposes.

Read the full story here.

I would say emphatic yes.
Cannot/will not provide citation or anything else ATM but given time prolly could. gotta get my sleep on.
Lies are very common amongst those who we can trust.

edit: "We should expect nothing less from the ONDCP, which is legally required to mislead the public."
Just damn....

Last edited: